RC51 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
still no decent photos, here are a couple taken in France a few weeks ago
seems like a lifetime ago now, back at work:(

I have owned the bike since 2000, got it when it was 6 months old, still had a blade then and couldn't get on with the sp, put a Hyperpro rear shock on, then a mori link, then revalved the forks and hyperpro spring kit.
Finally it handled, it had the full Akrapovic system on it when i bought it
I crashed it heavily into an uninsured driver maybe 10 11 years ago, broke the frame at the headstock.
Bought a new frame and started rebuilding it....
thorsten provided radiators, airbox and snorkel, rear disc and cable clutch conversion, hyperplates and inspiration.
Bst wheels, skeletalised rear caliper mount, ISR discs, master cylinder and clutch lever.
one off wiring loom, thorsten battery mount, subframe cut down and de lugged, clutch gear shaved down, factory shift kit, hm quick shifter, akra modded 2-1, harris rearsets, tyga top yoke, no ignition switch, harris tank cap
harris clip ons hrc throttle and expansion tank and rear brake res.
almost all nuts and bolts are Ti or alloy.
The original engine had 3rd gear let go, but with the nova transmission and a set of JE pistons recently acquired, a durbahn invisible rear brake, SP2 swinging arm and a set of 7075 axles i reckon somewhere in the high 160 kg's is possible, last time i weighed it it was 180 but that was before i fitted the BST's
It is currently down on power due to i don't lnow what but suspect a wiring problem, so a new loom is being fabricated next week.
What the engine will make with the JE's i don't know, when it was running properly it dyno'd at 137 bhp, so 11:1 and a clean up of the heads should see a little more, coupled to the close ratio box and lack of weight i am looking forward to next years riding

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hyperpro steering damper,stick coils, race weight fibre glass....
the best thing about the BST wheels is it makes it alot easier to haul it about in the mountains, at 50 something you appreciate that :)

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
best mod on the bike? see in the top picture on the flat part of the fairing there is an aerosol lid with a wet chamoix leather in it, nothing worse than pulling out of a petrol stop and getting one of those big French custard pie insects splat on your visor, quick wipe with a wet chammy and no time lost, tested up to a steady 170

Thanks ogiehooker! it was a pleasure dealing with you, as it has been with anybody i have dealt with on the forum

·
Registered
284 Posts
That some very nice mods - and amazing weightsavings. Ive got the bug too, weighing everything that comes on and goes off.

Is that 180 without fuel?

From what Ive weighed Ive removed 28kgs, and it still came in around 200kg with a full tank. Guess I better start buying titanium bolts and nuts :)

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
no thats 180 with fuel :) i am hoping for 165 this winter, use alloy wherever you can, it's lighter and cheaper

·
Premium Member
4,616 Posts
Best stealth Sp1 I know of. :)

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
headlight is a parabolic light taken out of an Alfa romeo headlight, it is bolted to the snorkel and shines through a hole in the fairing covered with very thin clear plastic, it allows me to take off the fairing in 2 minutes and the only electrics to unplug are the indicators
if you search sp1 undertray on UK ebay you will see the undertray, although mine is carbon
TBH i dont mind carbon or glass as long as it's light, glass is usually cheaper

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

this is it in early frankenstein phase! the led side light is above the clocks and is seen through the screen, all the lights are now LED so should draw no more than 10w so my new race alternator should easily be able to cope

·
Premium Member
4,560 Posts
Looks good Dan, Is that a butchered Moriwaki Snorkel ? I have made a replica of them ( Thanks to The Stig ) and the very first two will be going out in a few weeks.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I dont know what make the snorkel is, i got it second hand and damaged 10 years or more ago, do you have a pic of yours?

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I am so angry, the guy that was tidying my modified loom up has f####d it up, he was to have the bike a week, broke his leg after the first week, had it 7 weeks in total, delivered it back to me in the dark, i refused to pay until i had inspected it.
it is throwing multiple FI codes which it had never done before and if i wiggle the loom about near the ECU the fuel pump primes again, he has lost a couple of small bits too.
fu####ing donkey, now i have to get a second hand loom and start over again, time is the thing i am really short on, bollocks and double bollocks.

·
Premium Member
4,560 Posts
Sorry to hear of this Dan - Goes back to that saying " Trust no man with your women " and " If ya want it done right, Better to do it yourself " :)

I am sure it will all work out but being on a crunch always sucks.

A more positive note here - You do have a NOVA ;)

1 - 20 of 59 Posts