RC51 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had to have an RC51.. finally got one. Picked it up from a member here. So far, it's going well, and will be on the track later this month, maybe early next depending on schedule's.

I traded this R6 trackbike:

For this RC51:

And after a little purchasing and trading, It is almost ready to put on the track. I still have to put the new tire's on, replace the leaking left side radiator (tire's and rad are in the garage), and buy the DZUS style fasteners to connect the upper fairings to the stock side brackets. But this is how she sits as of last night:

Mo

·
Registered
50 Posts
Looking good.

·
Registered
232 Posts
And smaller too:D
Actually its not.. Its the same size.. I know because Im running one... I got it from a salvage yard and thought it was from an RC until I realized the fan didnt bolt up to it.. The mounting tabs to the Bike are in the same location and fit perfect. If the fan tabs lined up it would be prefect..

·
Registered
142 Posts
good project. im also building my rc for the track.. i should post up my progress pics too.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I noticed that you lowered the pipes. Did you simply change the mid pipe from an "S" style
high mount to the OE mid ?
My RC has a set of Yosh RS3 ovals-standard mount. If all I have to do is buy a set of mids like the ones you removed, it could be kinda good looking.
For when I do track days, I put on my banged-up but very light Hindle titanium high mounts. I like the high mount look more & more.
Please let me know if all you did was swap mid pipes.

Thanks

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I noticed that you lowered the pipes. Did you simply change the mid pipe from an "S" style
high mount to the OE mid ?
My RC has a set of Yosh RS3 ovals-standard mount. If all I have to do is buy a set of mids like the ones you removed, it could be kinda good looking.
For when I do track days, I put on my banged-up but very light Hindle titanium high mounts. I like the high mount look more & more.
Please let me know if all you did was swap mid pipes.

Thanks
I traded the high mount mid pipes you see in the upper pic, for a set of low mount mid pipe's you see in the bottom pic. I personally don't like the high mount look. It also doesn't allow me to place my feet on the pegs comfotably when I'm doing trackdays... I posted on another board to see if anyone was interested in swapping highs for lows, and found a guy in Canada that wanted high's..... we talked, then swapped mids.

So yes, all you would need to do is aquire a set of mid pipe's for the RS3 system and swap them in.

Mo

·
Registered
18 Posts
Good point about foot clearance...
Would be ok for the street I suppose. At least now I / others know that the part is available.

What is it with us Canadians liking high mounts eh ?

Regarding your rad size...I owned a VTR1000 up until just a few years ago, and I would swear on a stack of wave rotors that they are smaller - more rectangular than RC51 rads.
Either way, your track bike looks awesome man. Great build. I am envious !
Please give us some feedback after your next track day.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Good point about foot clearance...
Would be ok for the street I suppose. At least now I / others know that the part is available.

What is it with us Canadians liking high mounts eh ?

Regarding your rad size...I owned a VTR1000 up until just a few years ago, and I would swear on a stack of wave rotors that they are smaller - more rectangular than RC51 rads.
Either way, your track bike looks awesome man. Great build. I am envious !
Please give us some feedback after your next track day.
I replaced my leaky rad with another stock one... it was priced good, and no need to look for an alternative.

As for my recent trackday, I had it out last week Sunday. It is a fun bike, but definately have to ride it differently than an inline 4... My last trackbike (that I used) was an 04 636 and it was a great bike for the track. Prior to that one, it was an 02 GSXR750... another great bike for the track. The RC feels heavier (and it is), doesn't corner with the ease of the other two, but provided more fun for me. Getting the stock suspension decent for my heavy ass took some trial and error. That will be taken care of later when funds are more readily available. I am running BT003RS (120/70, 190/55) tire's, and they were sticking nicely. The brakes on this bike are incredible! I had so much feel, I could brake deep into the corners... to the apex. At time's I was braking all the way until it was time to get back on the throttle... I had more feel from the front end than any bike I have ever been on. I don't think the wave rotors have much to do with it, but the steel line's have too! The front end was stable, but I am going to pull the forks up in the triple's just a hair to help with tip in. Maybe a spacer on the rear shock also. The Scotts Damper should keep the front end stable for my skill level. My gearing is -1 +2 and I could run done 600 pretty easily, and keep up with them in the corners. Definately had a better drive out of the corners than the inline. That was just a cool feeling... although I was riding conservatively to keep her up, and only slide the rear once or twice.... that I noticed. I did run to hot into two different corners and had to do some weed wacking... once even looked like I was out hunting.
Overall, I am very pleased with this bike. To be honest, I'm not sure I want to put the street bodywork on it. After I stretch and drop my Busa this week, I may have more of a want for the RC on the street for those spirited ride's through some twisties. The Busa is strictly for cruising......

·
Registered
422 Posts
Dont u feel the engine braking is too strong ?....mine had trouble ith the braking parts...rear end giving the fishtail when drop from 4th into 2nd gear...

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Dont u feel the engine braking is too strong ?....mine had trouble ith the braking parts...rear end giving the fishtail when drop from 4th into 2nd gear...
The engine braking is quite strong, but the simple remedy for that is clutch control. Instead of just dumping the clutch all the way out when down shifting, ease it out, and don't fully release it until you are down to the desired speed. Also, make sure you are blipping the throttle just before letting the clutch out, to closer match your revs to wheel speed better. The will almost completely eliminate the swaying back end... you can also use that back end movement to help you steer into the turn at a little higher speed... not an easy move.

·
Registered
422 Posts
tks...i used to blip on race bike back in 2004...but not at the RC...im still trying to get hang over it

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
tks...i used to blip on race bike back in 2004...but not at the RC...im still trying to get hang over it
Since I don't have a slipper clutch, blipping the throttle is real important when trying to get the right corner speed. The bike seems more settled running into corners when I do. But the biggest difference is feathering out the clutch, as oppossed to dumping it on each downshift! Because there is so much engine braking with this big twin, I actually use less braking to slow me down.... but with the great brakes, I can stay on them deeper into the corner with good feel and feedback from the front end.... this bike is just fun. Can't wait till my next day out.

Mo

·
Premium Member
59 Posts
Even with a slipper clutch you can still get squirrelly in the rear end if you dump the clutch too fast. The blipping and revving up to match wheel speed is solid, practical advice whenever riding the Torque Monster. I thought getting the SC would eliminate the problem...WRONG!!!

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hey Man i am looking for midpipes yosh did you know somebody who get it ?
I just posted a thread asking if anyone wanted to trade their's for mine. One reply was recieved, and it worked we out. I paid for shipping to him, and he paid for shipping to me. I would say try that.

Mo

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Glad you're enjoying the bike it looks like its turning out good for you.
Took it out to Eagle's Canyon a few weeks ago, and had a great time on it.... I also just picked up a Penske rear shock, and Moriwaki link to assis the rear suspension a bit. I will be soon adding some springs, and maybe emulators to the front forks to get it set right also.
I definately have no second thoughts about picking this bike up from you. Also picked up all the fairings, and bought stock bolts to put it back on the street too. If it were a little more comfortable for everyday riding, I would probably sell the busa :rolleyes: .... just kiddin :D

Here she is at rest, waiting for some minore surgery:

This is why she needs minor surgery (Penske, and Moriwaki link)

And soon to be installed for some street rides:

1 - 20 of 38 Posts