RC51 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So what is the best battery on the market for a 2001 RC51? I bought a $30 battery of Amazon, but needs to be on the battery tender after every ride. Should I go lithium? Weight is not a concern.
Thanks.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Yuasa. I've been running the YTX9BS. It's a little smaller and lighter than stock , without the sudden death of a lithium battery.

·
Super Moderator
6,481 Posts
Shorai lithium. Never had a problem with them.
So small and light, one can get a higher cold-cranking amp with hardly any weight penalty.
I bought a Shorai LFX19A4-BS12 (19Ah) for my Speed Triple with 285 CCA, at 2.85 lbs.
As I said, not cheap at around $160, but if you have no power draw (or current drain) when switched off, they will keep a charge forever.
I have one that lost only .02V after 3 years of sitting on the shelf.

Just remember, they are different technology than lead-acid and one must observe the operating limits, or they will be toast permanently.
But in typical riding conditions, this is not an issue.

·
Premium Member
435 Posts
Shorai lithium...remember, they are different technology than lead-acid and one must observe the operating limits, or they will be toast permanently.
But in typical riding conditions, this is not an issue.
Use them in all of my bikes, strong and light batteries, however, I would strongly recommend you use their charger with their separate plug in battery harness, this enables their charger to top off all the cells, not just the battery when it hits it's charging voltage...this latter situation can build a bad low charge memory into one lowest charging cell which eventually leads to a failed battery, ask me how I know, and their charger tops off each cell to preclude this...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts