RC51 Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My melon is more narrow and long than round, so I'm having trouble finding a good fitting helmet. Mediums give me a gap on the sides, smalls make my nose rub the front.:mad:
I never had a problem with dirt bike helmets cause so much space up front but good fitting street bike helmets are proving to be a pita to find...
Anyone else have an "odd" shaped head who can offer some suggestions or advice?
If there was a helmet that you could add extra padding to the cheek areas, that would be PERFECT!
Thanks!

·
Registered
162 Posts
Try the Bell Star. It fits me very well. Here's a pic of mine. It vents the best of any helmet I have ever seen, including my Shoei XSP II and my X Eleven. I got mine for an excellent price online. PM me for details. I don't want to step on any sponsors toes. I have no affiliation to the site where I got it.

Attachments

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cool, thanks guys. Scorpion looks like a good option that won't break the bank either!
If there's any others out there I should check out, let me know. I probably won't be picking one up for a week or 2...

·
Premium Member
6,495 Posts
I've had both the Scorpion EXO-700 and EXO-1000.
While I like the 1000's flip down inner visor, it doesn't extend as far down as I'd like. But I can live with it.
What I really don't care for is the front vent on the chin bar. Instead of using an up/down action to open/close the vent like the 700, the 1000 used a flip out design.
If you hold your head at a certain angle, it resonates with a loud sound like a car nearby. Scared the crap out of me when I first heard it. I thought a car was almost in my lap.
However I will say it's more aerodynamic than the 700 and doesn't try to pull off your head when traveling at a high velocity.
I don't know if they make them anymore, but you could order the optional photochromic visors that would darken to a light smoke color after about 60 seconds. Took out a lot of glare too.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Fitment is Very important and you should really Try before you buy.

That being said i have some things to say about various helmets

I personally own a Scorpion Exo700 and 1000 and a Shoei (which i don't wear often so i wont comment on it, other than it is a way overpriced piece of plastic and foam and i would not have one unless someone didnt give it to me). Also it is a "high" helmet like Arai so it sacrifices chin protection to supposedly save your collarbone in a crash.

I don't think the 1000 is worth over $250-225 and the 700 is worth $100..

The sun visor is Very nice on the 1000 and Love it, the only reason i havent thrown it away after i accidentally let it roll down the driveway. The 1000 is heavy and bulky and hits my shoulder when i look back. I also like the crack open feature on the faceshield. I don't use the air bladder as much as i should i could live without it. It might help noise isolation 5%.

The 700 is just cheap. anything over 70mph and the wind breaks the seal on the faceshield and air comes in if im looking anywhere but straight ahead. I use it for night riding sometimes because it is light and reasonably comfortable sometimes. I have 2 of these because people just give them to me. As subsailor mentioned, the aerodynamic is terrible on this helmet. Given the price, it is still not extremely, bad but i wouldn't buy it again with the knowledge i have now.

Scorpion faceshield locking system works great IMO and i like it a lot.

Schuberth s1pro helmets, like Shark helmets, have a faceshield that is so thick it must be bulletproof. They have a "curtain" of liner under the chin/around the neck and noise isolation is the best i have ever tried in a helmet (probably no need for earplugs). This helmet also has a sun visor like the exo1000, i really wish i bought that instead of the exo1000 for long rides. With all those features, it is a Very lightweight helmet. The only con is it is a little more bulky than a exo1000.

Then recently i tried my friend's helmet. yeah seriously a $90 retail helmet...the HJC CL-15. That thing has the best visibility i have ever seen in a helmet so far. it's like a widescreen tv. When i look down (in ducked position as if i were going 180mph on the freeway) and i dont get an obnoxious blindspot where the shell opening curves at the top of my field of vision.

if i could do it all over again, id have that schuberth and hjc lol.

those AGV helmets sure do look nice. Havent tried one, but some of myfriends swear by them after crashing a few times on the track. i trust their judgment.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Stop by your local store and try on an Arai Profile. The standard Corsair fits me well, but the Profile may be just what you need. Then search the net for the best price on one, cause they won't be cheap. Everytime I hand my dad my Corsair he freaks out about how light it is, and how different the vents, visor, and padding is compared to his convertible helmet. I ride an RC, he rides a Concours 1400, so...

·
Registered
502 Posts
I have HJC, Icon, Joe Rocket, Shoei, Arai, Suomy, and AGV helmets.
I like the Shoei the best. Suomy second. Joe Rocket and Icon are tied. HJC is a nice helmet. AGV Ti Tech is a great helmet, except the forehead vision sucks ass. If O'm standing up the helmet is great. But riding I cant see more than 40 feet in front of me. UGH.
I don't wear the Arai anymore. But was a great helmet before I retired it!

·
Premium Member
6,495 Posts
My next helmet will be a Scorpion EXO1000. If they make a photochromic shield I'd buy the helmet today!
I paid about $70 for the photochromic shield for my EXO700.
While they don't get very dark (only a light gray), they do cut down on the glare quite a bit. That was the most benefit I got from it.

·
Registered
422 Posts
the above pic shown an immitation Arai helmet...........so beware guys..ha..ha

·
Registered
162 Posts
Bell shows one on their retailers websites, but it has not been released yet. It fits the Star. I asked and they expect it to be released soon, after they resolve some kind of manufacturing problem.

·
Registered
113 Posts
i own a icon and like it more than my scorpion but don't like that the paint chips easily kinda looking at kbc and info on those

1 - 17 of 17 Posts