RC51 Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 2000 SP1. Previous owner broke the drive chain while riding. When the chain broke, it broke off the 2 upper threaded bolt holes for the front sprocket cover. I circled them in red in the picture.
I replaced the chain and sprockets but the issue I'm having is the top of the sprocket cover flexes outward when I pull the clutch lever in to put the bike in gear, therefore the engine dies as soon as I shift into gear. I'm thinking the clutch is not able to engage all the way because of the sprocket cover flex from the missing 2 upper bolts.

I still have the broken pieces. Is there a feasible way to fix this or is my case garbage now?
Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Tire

·
Registered
221 Posts
JB Weld, or the $100 a can titanium epoxy will work. I have used both on engine and transmission cases on cars and bikes with really good success. Both can be drilled and tapped after setting so no worries if you get material in the holes. Make sure everything is SPOTLESSLY CLEAN before assembling. The only load you are going to hold is the clutch release force. Measure the depth of the holes BEFORE repairing so you can set a stop on your drill bit. Don't want to drill through your engine block! Clear any material with the drill bit and gently tap the hole, clearing out any debris as you go. Take your time and if you don't have the skills to do this, find someone who does.

Good luck with the repair!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
JB Weld, or the $100 a can titanium epoxy will work. I have used both on engine and transmission cases on cars and bikes with really good success. Both can be drilled and tapped after setting so no worries if you get material in the holes. Make sure everything is SPOTLESSLY CLEAN before assembling. The only load you are going to hold is the clutch release force. Measure the depth of the holes BEFORE repairing so you can set a stop on your drill bit. Don't want to drill through your engine block! Clear any material with the drill bit and gently tap the hole, clearing out any debris as you go. Take your time and if you don't have the skills to do this, find someone who does.

Good luck with the repair!
I will give that a try. Thanks for the reply!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts