RC51 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a wrecked(mostly cosmetic) 01 last fall,put it back together and added a p.com.lots of fun, occassional trackday etc. usually runs flawlessly ,but occasionally I'll hit a sharp bump on the street and the bike sputter and stall. the sputtering is abrupt as if the ignition is being turned off and on.the strange part is when put in nuetral it always restarts but when shifter is engaged it stalls.(I bypassed the kickstand switch to be sure it was'nt the problem) usually after a short period of time I can get it going again(sometimes wiggling wires/connections etc. but not always the same ones)lately the f1 light comes on. any clues? getting frustrated too. thanks for looking.

·
Super Moderator
6,481 Posts
If you have your clutch lever pulled in with the engine in gear, and you can't start your engine, and your side stand switch is bypassed, then it sounds like your clutch switch is faulty.

Here's a brief diagram of the starter circuit.

As for the sputtering and quitting, it could be loose battery or ground connections, tilt sensor, etc.
I'd also check the main harness near the rear fuel tank pivot for evidence of pinching or bruising.
That harness lies very close to the fuel tank seam edge and is very easy to pinch the wiring if not careful.
Here's a brief overview of the ignition circuit.

If you don't already have a service manual, you can download it from here (suggest your get both N. America and UK manuals as the UK manuals has better quality scans):
http://www.rc51.info/index.php?page=service

I will say that electrical problems on these bikes is fairly frequent for several reasons.
1) The bikes are getting older and components are starting to wear/fail due to age.
2) Weather related corrosion on electrical contacts (dielectric tuneup grease is a wonder).
3) Previous owner stupidity. Probably THE number one cause of electrical gremlins.
4) Damage due to bike being laid down or wrecked.
5) Wiring harness not routed sufficiently with fuel tank lowered onto main wiring harness, causing crimped/bruised/broken wiring.

Personally speaking, cause number 3 was the reason why I had to replace all my wiring harnesses.
They were beyond salvation.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Hmmm my bike has never neen able to start in gear with the clutch pulled in...

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
wrecked 01

great suggestions I will start going thru them asap( the previous owner let it sit outside unprotected for several months) thanks so much for your time I'll let you know how it turns out

1 - 5 of 5 Posts