RC51 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm missing one of the brass inserts the headlights attach to on the upper cowl. I've been trying to find some place to pick some up and just epoxy them in. Anyone ever buy some.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Premium Member
4,617 Posts
You might get away with buying an M5 rivnut, scratching it up with a pair of pliers (for glue to attach to), drilling the plastic carefully so the rivnut will fit, then bonding it in. :)

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You might get away with buying an M5 rivnut, scratching it up with a pair of pliers (for glue to attach to), drilling the plastic carefully so the rivnut will fit, then bonding it in. :)
Yeah, I fixed a couple years ago another bike. Drill out the hole just slightly line with a small amount of epoxy, press in and wait. Cannot for the life of me remember where I found the inserts.

Thought about using a rashed cowl, just figured this would be cheaper. Good plan B though

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Premium Member
4,617 Posts

·
Registered
8,663 Posts
I think I have some of those. I remember picking up some of them when I crashed and demolished my upper a couple years ago. I'll look today, and get back to you this evening. If I have some, they're yours. No charge.
How many are you looking for?

·
Premium Member
8,335 Posts
These are heat inserts. You could heat these up "gently" with a propane torch.

Make sure that you screw in a long bolt before heating. Insert the nut into the hole and let the resin melt around the insert.

I would try this before using epoxy.:cool:

·
Premium Member
8,335 Posts
It is a crude form but it will work I believe.

In plastic intake manifolds, there is a cell that has a feeder bowl that aligns the inserts into a resistance heat chamber to properly heat the nuts. The heated nuts are fed into a fixture that orients and inserts the nuts into the manifold with a metered amount of force and depth.

Pretty neat operations.:cool:

·
Premium Member
8,335 Posts
How did you lose it? Did you over tighten? I know it happens but the knurling is so sharp and deep, its hard to pull these babies out.

·
Premium Member
8,335 Posts
If you PM me your mailing address, I'll put it in an envelope and mail it to you.
Will you measure the dimensions of the nut before you send it? I want to check it against the one we use at work. Maybe I can "rustle up" some spares.:cool:

Height

Top diameter

Bottom diameter

Size of the threads

Honda does not sell these since they buy the head light housing as an assembly. The parts fiche will not have these listed.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts