RC51 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, I'm new here and this is my first summer with my 02 rc51.... i bought it back in march and have been loving every minute of it and the bikes been running great tip now.

problem: when riding after the engine warms up to around 220 degree the bike will shut off when i come to a complete stop at at red light or stop sign. what i've noticed is when the load is taken off the engine and it begins to idle it returns to idle at approx 1400rpm and then works its down to 900 rpm and cuts off. if i keep any on the throttle keeping it around 1500rpm or above its fine, its just when the bike is sitting at idle either with me holding the clutch in or in neutral. the bike will fire right back up after it cuts off.

i've looked at adjusting the idle, but it seems to do it wherever i set the idle once it gets up to that temp.

any ides???

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
What kind of mods (fuel tuner, etc) do you have on the bike and any recent changes made (or work/maintenance performed) to the bike?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
all major mods were already done when purchase and have been on for a while, i know the guy i bought it from and know the bikes been running with them on for a while.

yoshi slip ons
yoshi ems box (yoshi's power commander that you can find no support for)
-2/+2
exhaust wrapped pipes
other than that its stock.

have replaced the fuel pump in march, but ran fine after that.

battery is new and often left on tender

i've heard fuel pressure regulator before, any info on getting to that piece and checking it?

thanks

·
Registered
469 Posts
lift the tank, (might need to take off airbox, i forget) its near the right backside of the throttle bodies. pull the vacuum line and prime the fuel pump, if fuel dribbles out, its defective, however ive read it can still be defective even if you dont see fuel come out.

i say replace it, it's a $35 part. mine is fine but i plan on replacing it soon as i think of it as a maintenace item

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
just lifted my tank and found the fuel pressure regulator. i pulled the vacuum line and turned on the ignition key and i got a drip... from looking online i'm seeing that that could be the problem and the for should def not be dripping from that line. any input,

also looking for and instructions or videos on how to replace the fpr

·
Premium Member
8,335 Posts
just lifted my tank and found the fuel pressure regulator. i pulled the vacuum line and turned on the ignition key and i got a drip... from looking online i'm seeing that that could be the problem and the for should def not be dripping from that line. any input,

also looking for and instructions or videos on how to replace the fpr
It is easy to do. Pull the lines, remove the FPR, install the new one, torque to spec, re-install lines....all should be well.

You do not have to remove the air box for this exercise either.:cool:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts