RC51 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all,
I'm trying to remove my front fairing and there is one bolt that wont come loose. The problem is the bolt head keeps spinning and I cant get to it to stop it spinning when I try and turn the bolt.
I sprayed it with WD40 and that made it worse as the bolt head now spins easier.
Its the middle bolt in the front fairing.
Any idea on how to remove the bolt?

Edit its called the setting screw on this diagram.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
85 Posts
Have someone help you while one of you use a flathead screwdriver to push on the backside of screw to help it out. Take your time so you don't scratch anything you don't want too

·
Registered
184 Posts
Put some tape around the bolt to protect the paint, and carefully use a pair of dikes under the the edge of the bolt head like wedges. dikes as in the wirecutting type. Good luck

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the ideas.
So I should use the dikes/screwdriver to wedge it under the head of the screw and then try and move the whole bolt and nut out of the socket/hole?

·
Super Moderator
6,481 Posts
Either the bolt is corroded onto the insert or someone over tightened the bolt causing the brass insert to spin.
Due to the location, it won't be an easy job.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
^ You ain't joking ! :(

If you have some Kroil or Liquid Wrench (penetrating oil) handy, soak the bolt/insert really good and let it sit for awhile before trying to loosen them from one another.

G'luck !

·
Premium Member
346 Posts
If the brass insert is spinning you can probably pull it out of the plastic on the snorkel. Take the screen out then gently pry the two apart, worked for me. Once you have it apart, mole grips on the brass insert, and undo it.

Alternative I have used before as well, is to drill a small (2mm) hole in the plastic through the brass insert until you have gone about 2mm into the brass. Then take the drill bit out of the drill, turn it round and put the plain end (bit that normally goes in the drill chuck) in the hole you just drilled. Be careful not to overheat the plastic and melt it when drilling, you need a good sharp drill bit. This will anchor the brass insert and allow you to undo the screw. Once the screw is out you can screw a short self tapping screw into the hole you drilled to anchor the brass insert permanently. I also put some super glue in the hole first to help stick the insert in place. Worth running a tap through the threads to clean them out at the same time.

Have fun.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I would first try loctite and if it doesn't hold i would hit it with a tap rethread it and install a helacoil. That I know will hold

·
Super Moderator
6,481 Posts
There's also a variety of riv-nut that is designed for insertion into plastic, where the insert is knurled and expands when tightened.
Was browsing through the riv-nut catalog a long time ago.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts