RC51 Forums banner

Need help with my 06 vin

5K views 22 replies 10 participants last post by  Luckyadam12 
#1 ·
I am in the process of importing the bike I bought into Canada. One of the previous owners removed the vin plate from the right spar below the gas tank. I need to make a duplicate to satisfy the powers that be so I can register my bike.

The older vin plates I have seen in another discussion look to be stickers. At least as far as I can tell from the photo posted here. The spot where is should be has 2small holes 75mm apart from what I am sure is a riveted on plate.

Anyone willing to send me a pic of theirs (2006) so I can get the info and size?

You can black out your serial number if you like. I am just trying to get accurate info for mine.

Thanks very much.

I am not trying to scam anyone, just ask Duckhunter. He has my cans at the pond for refurbishing as I write this.

#3 ·
Yes, the plate/sticker shows the GVWR for front and rear with tire pressures and the month/year of manufacture. It also has a statement of conformity to federal regulations I believe.

The "approved" inspection facility is a national chain called Canadian tire. They don't know anything about bikes! They are ticking the boxes on the form. It has another placard on the swing arm with tire pressures and such. Not good enough for them.

#4 ·
Maybe the 06 is a sticker as well? I just know on my dirt bikes and others in the past it was a riveted on plate. Since the frame has the holes for the rivets I assumed it might have been a plate. They may have slapped the stamped sticker over it.

Anyone that can back that up?

#5 ·
I've known about that condition for a while and it's discussed on various Canada motorcycle forums in threads about importing motorcycles. It is a decal. I've never known of a way to get the decal replaced.

As for the two holes, that is strange. I did a picture google search and don't see any holes on RC51 right frame spars of any year.

#6 ·
I found a place in Kitchener that does it. They make them fir restorations mostly. I have to send supporting documents that I own it and he will make one up for me. i just needed to confirm if it was a plate or not and the info it contains with dimensions. should be the same for all years I would think. Here is a pic of the holes. only a couple mm or 32's fir our friends to the south. Strange I suppose but I can understand it.

Attachments

#7 · (Edited)
Those holes are pretty small, maybe is why I couldn't see or feel them. On closer inspection of my 04 the holes are there. And for your bike it is a decal over those holes too.

Saw that place in kitchener. Any decent decal place can do a repro for you. You'll need dimensions and a high res example picture.

Hope someone helps.

#16 ·
OP already posted why he needs that info - apparently you missed it.

Yes, the plate/sticker shows the GVWR for front and rear with tire pressures and the month/year of manufacture. It also has a statement of conformity to federal regulations I believe.

The "approved" inspection facility is a national chain called Canadian tire. They don't know anything about bikes! They are ticking the boxes on the form. It has another placard on the swing arm with tire pressures and such. Not good enough for them.

#13 ·
If you still need a picture of a plate, I can PM you some of mine & Carlos. His is 2005, mine 2002, both are European models though - but what would Canadian Tire know! :D

#20 · (Edited)
Thanks everyone for your help. Sorry for the late reply, I have been away at work for a few days.

MikeinCtown
The feds need to see a front and rear weight rating placard on the vehicle. No way around it.

Jondog,
Thanks very much for the dimensions! that and the pic that RC5184 sent were what I needed.

RC5184,
Great photo! I have number 600021. I just sent it to the guy that is making the sticker for me.

Cheers and thanks again to the members of the forum!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.