RC51 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so here goes....i hope someone out there can respond quickly.....I need help with a buying decision.....I am looking to buy an 03 rc51 and have test rode it. Well here are my questions...first off I rode my 2002 R6 over there to test ride this 03 and when i was test riding it I didnt feel the "pull" that I was expecting? The speedo was saying different but I was expecting this thing to set me back. it almost seems as if my 6 could keep up:confused:. secondly this RC has a set of yoshi pipes and a power commander 3. It sounds great and looks the part but I just wasnt feeling the power that I expected but I have never ridden a twin before so maybe thats just the way it's supposed to run? Or maybe the power commander needs adjusted? btw the clutch didnt seem to slip at all. Please help!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I also have another question that maybe someone could answer? I have been researching the RC for awhile now and read about the "flapper" valve and the rev limiter removal....I was wondering if these are nessasary?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This 03 starts easily and seems to run just fine revs good and all that just doesnt seem to "pull" that hard? Maybe a set of sprockets would help? I also read that the sprockets will help with that low idle stalling lol

·
Premium Member
8,335 Posts
Can't say....how many miles? Did you pull the side covers? Did you check the oil color?? Did you check the coolant condition??? Did the engine sound correct????

Chain/sprocket condition etc.....could be a number of things.

Yes, the RC should pull harder than your R6....the butt dyno never lies.

Flapper removal just helps to let the engine breathe better and helps performance with a proper map. (Its real purpose is noise emission control)

Rev limiter mod just removes the soft rev limit.

Neither are necessary....but the flapper mod does help with the dead spot in the low/mid range.

www.rc51.org helps with this

·
Super Moderator
6,481 Posts
What was the bike not doing that you were expecting?
BTW 14K miles isn't even to the first valve clearance check.

If it has stock final gearing, that may be one problem.
It was quite tall from the factory.

The most popular option is to change the final ratio to usually 15F/41R or 42R.
Lowers the top end a little, but really helps launching off the line.

The engine is plenty torquey at 4000 and builds starting at 5000.
The HP climbs pretty linear up to redline.
Overall the engine builds power smoothly without sudden rushes.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
dont get me wrong it pulls but just not what I was expecting? would gearing help and would that help the low idle stalling lol

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i guess i was expecting alot more umph....maybe the clutch was slipping but it didnt seem to be

·
Premium Member
2,697 Posts
I also have another question that maybe someone could answer? I have been researching the RC for awhile now and read about the "flapper" valve and the rev limiter removal....I was wondering if these are nessasary?
No, but the flapper mod is so easy and it lets the bike breath better. i can see any reason not to.

the rev mod i havent done ?yet?...been thinking about doing for a while. my 03 is a street only bike and turning 10k rpm isnt something i need to be doing but then yet again having that little extra pull might come in handy at times. my thinking about the rev mod, if it a track bike, yes its necessarily. street bike its your call, these bikes really dont need to be spun up over 9k to get you in trouble or have loads of fun

James

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I havent bought it yet that is why I was asking I dont think any seller would want anyone to pull the covers off a bike? but checking the oil I could do

·
Super Moderator
6,481 Posts
i figured that the thing would just pull like a banshee
How differently were you riding it compared to your R6?
What sort of revs were you using while riding?

I actually find my RC51 to be a blast to ride because it's so grunty.
I also have an '08 FZ1 and I find I miss my RC51 (currently down for upgrades) because it gives me a kick in the butt the FZ1 doesn't.
My RC51 squirts off the corners so much better than my FZ1.

I will also add that I run 15F/41R final gearing.

·
Registered
8,663 Posts
It sounds like your looking for a 'busa or something :D
If you like the power delivery the high reving I4's, than 1000RR. Especially if that's what your used to.
The RC51 V-twin is a lot sneakier on the power than you think.
I heard squirting out of the corners; yea, easily!
I rarely ride this way in heavy traffic, but I'm just saying, when I leave a traffic light that just turned green, I can easily be about 30 or 40 car-lengths in front of the car behind me that hasn't even made it thru the intersection yet. And I'm halfway to the next light that will stay green just long enough...
I run 15/42 gearing, and a power commander with Yosh's, Flapper mod and that's it. No soft rev mod, no pair mod, don't need it. No chicken strips either :D

·
Registered
40 Posts
'08 and up RR 1k's have crazy midrange and up to redline. I had an 06 and an 08 and they were both fast as hell. The RC 51 feels planted in the corners and holds a line so well. I'm not crazy about the around town riding on the 51, but am planning to drop a tooth on the front sprocket and doing the flapper mod. Overall I am happy with my RC 51.

·
Registered
40 Posts
What a beautiful bike! I love everything about it!!! Except the notorious ugly mudflap.[/QUOTE]

I agree. Love the wheels and color scheme. Gear selector, yes! I wonder what kind of power this beast makes. Should be along the lines of the BMW S1000 RR.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts