RC51 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
this has been driving me nuts for a while now, my rc is a 2001 model (which tells me this is an sp1, which is what ive accepted). but the prev owner has put an sp2 castrol kit on it at some point and i keep gettin comments from people that have looked at it and are sure its an sp2. cos of the year, i dont think it is. but i know some of you guys can tell by looking at the swing arm and possible exhaust pipe positioning.

below are pics of it at the showroom i bought it from. what do you guys think this rc is?

·
Registered
447 Posts
The swing arm, forks and wheels all say SP1. The only thing that says SP2 is the sticker on the fairings.

·
Premium Member
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The swing arm, forks and wheels all say SP1. The only thing that says SP2 is the sticker on the fairings.
yeah, i dug into some research on the swing arms and your right, its like i thought, its an sp1 with an sp2 kit on it (and obv a painted tank) judging by the thickness of the paint its a proffessional job and i love the castrol colours which was why i bought it in the first place.

·
Registered
447 Posts
I really like your Castrol colors, although they do not seem to be that popular here in the US. I was watching one bike that seemed pretty nice, low miles, nicely upgraded, and they kept lowering and lowering the price with not much response. It is the only Colin Edwards replica that I have ever seen for sale and should be pretty rare. Last I heard, the bike was still for sale and there was little interest in the bike. I will admit that it had less attractive colors than yours (has grey instead of your red) but the design is about the same. Enjoy your bike.

·
Registered
8,663 Posts
Yep, I agree.
You can only rely on the VIN.
The 10th digit will tell you the year is was made. So will the 12th, but that's common only to the RC51 that I'm aware of.
A *Y* is a 2000
a *1* is a 2001
a *2* is a 2002, and so on.

Only the Y or 1 is a SP1.
Any higher that is a SP2

·
Premium Member
3,239 Posts
Wheels SP1
Rear shock SP1
Calipers' brackets SP1
RH crankcase SP1 (silver)
Swingarm SP1
Cowls SP1 (the V-cowl doesn't have the oil cooler's window on the low left side)
Stickers SP2

Silver frame and swingarm means European model SP1 '00-'01

I hope you removed that ugly passenger handlebar before taking the bike out of the showroom :D

Put up a picture of the black label on the frame's RH side if you need more details.

·
Premium Member
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I hope you removed that ugly passenger handlebar before taking the bike out of the showroom :D
i thought my wife would find it usefull, so initially i kept it on, but she prefers holding onto the tank. so its off now cos she dont need it, and cos its damn ugly:)

thanks for the quick reply folks, pretty much conf what i already knew

·
Premium Member
586 Posts
I lol'd ^^^ #rageattack

·
Registered
8,663 Posts
That is an SP1. Model year will tell you that.

oh and:

Why the fuck do people use imageshack?
It sucks big fat donkey balls!
Why do you say that? :confused:
I use them, cause I couldn't get Photobucket to work for me. Apparently I tried to set it up once, failed, and for the life of me cannot get it to accept me. I've put over an hour into trying, and finally gave up.

I haven't had any issues with ImageShack. Yet...

·
Registered
8,663 Posts
Yep, I agree.
You can only rely on the VIN.
The 10th digit will tell you the year is was made. So will the 12th, but that's common only to the RC51 that I'm aware of.
A *Y* is a 2000
a *1* is a 2001
a *2* is a 2002, and so on.

Only the Y or 1 is a SP1.
Any higher that is a SP2
So what year is your bike Polarbear?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts