RC51 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well, having been out of the riding scene for a while, I have come to the realization I need some new gear.

Helmet, my current one is too small as it was a stop gap helmet when I was racing. I just ordered a new Arai RX-Q Duetet helmet. I found a good sale price on right now in Canada for Arai's. PM me if you are interested.

My current jacket rides up my back on the bike and that isn't optimal. And my gloves are blue and damaged from track riding. So I need a new jacket and new gloves. Let me know if you have any recommendations. My city will have very little inventory to see and touch so all help is appreciated.

My boots are a disaster from track duty. Time to get something new. I'm thinking of Sidi ST (not vortice any longer) boots. Any comments or other suggestions? They have been out for some years now so I'm wondering if a new boot line is coming from Sidi for 2013. Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Congrats on realizing the shortcomings of your current gear. The following is a little broad, but hope it will help others as well:

The type of gear you wear is such a personal preference; lots of brands/models to choose from. I'd pick out several specific items that appeal to you and then search out reviews on those pieces of gear before purchasing.

Remember to get gear that fits properly so it has the best chance to do its job well and protect you in the event of an off.

I usually purchase my gear from site vendors such as Riders Discount or Sportbike Track Gear (gotta love STG's video reviews). A few other websites offer nice video reviews too, Revzilla comes to mind. Closeout pricing is a good way to score gear on the cheap; just be mindful of each company's return/exchange program so you don't get burned (common sense, really).

Several other motorcycle message boards have dedicated "helmet/gear" sub-sections where users post up reviews about their gear. Simply look at the very bottom of this webpage and you'll see all of the other "Motorcycle.com Forum Network" message boards that are owned by Vertical Scope. Chances are there are "gear" sections on each board and somebody has probably reviewed a specific piece of gear that you are interested in at some point in time.

G'luck with the hunt for new gear (end of season sales / Black Friday is just around the corner - should be able to score some killer deals!). :cool:

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
After some more internet reading I think I'll try the Sidi ST boots instead of the vortice. More streetable.

I've been checking jackets. I want something that is lower in the back so that it doesn't ride up when on the bike. The icon overlord prime and the technic violator have caught my eye. Does anyone have any comments on these jackets? Any sizing experience with them? I have seen the youtube videos on them.

Any other jackets I should be interested in?

·
Banned
3,636 Posts
I may not be the right one to chime in but...I'm a gear whore, I love the stuff. 2 piece 1 piece it all good but has to be leather.

I like Teknic stuff great price points. I find the sizing to be close, I wear a 42 sport coat and I have a 42 two piece Teknic that should be a 40. I also have a one piece Teknic that should be a 42 see what I'm saying.

I mostly wear one piece suits, I have an Alpinestars 1 piece 42 fits awesome, also a Speed and Strength 1 piece in a 42 fits really well.

I find Joe Rocket stuff to fit larger say a North American cut.

But my favourite suit by far is my Alren Ness 1 piece 40 I think very true to size.

I love Sidi boots, I find they fit a tad narrow go up half a size. Mind you I have duck feet.

As for gloves I'm using some Knox Handroids they are ok a little flash and gimmicky, I find them narrow across the palms mind you again my hands are like my feet wider than they are long.

My fave gloves if you can afford them are my Helds can't go wrong with any of them for fit comfort and quality.

I'm not a big fan of used gear...other peoples funk and all but I love closeouts like already mentioned check return policies.

But you have to try on sorry but it may be worth it for you to drive a bit to somewhere where trying on first is an option.

Btw I'm 5'7" athletic build, wide through the shoulders and upper back, slim in the waist and muscular but slim legs from football and martial arts.

·
Registered
317 Posts
I bought the Arai RX-Q Duetet about 2 weeks ago, i love it only problem is it seems like its taking forever to get a dark shield as they have been on backorder for a couple of weeks now, and the stock shield is garbage, worst shield I've ever had about fogging up, might want to check in on a pinlock shield.

·
Registered
86 Posts
After some more internet reading I think I'll try the Sidi ST boots instead of the vortice. More streetable.

I've been checking jackets. I want something that is lower in the back so that it doesn't ride up when on the bike. The icon overlord prime and the technic violator have caught my eye. Does anyone have any comments on these jackets? Any sizing experience with them? I have seen the youtube videos on them.

Any other jackets I should be interested in?
I have the Technic Violator jacket. I'm 6' about 220lbs and I have a size 46. The jacket is great. Very comfertable and liner has got to be one of the best out of the jackets I have had (others include A* and Vanson Leathers). One of the only jackets left out there that still comes with a thermal vest liner. With the vest liner out it flows a decent amount of air. I'm usually ok until it gets over 85 F outside as long as I'm moving. I would stay clear of Icon only because they are more for the "show" and not the "go" IMO. Other good stuff to look at is A* if you can find a good deal. Try STG (sportbiketrackgear.com) and make sure you call Jason. You will get extra discount being a forum member. Big key with leathers is the less panels and stitching the less chance it has to come apart during a crash.

I also just ordered the Arai Corsair V Nicky 3 Stars and the helmet is very comfertable and stable at speed. Loads of ventilation but slightly loud. Rickybobby I also had trouble getting the dark smoke shield so I ordered the light smoke one which was in stock. I find it does a good enough job cutting down on the glare. If your having trouble with the shield fogging up then STOP BREATHING AT IT!!!! and open up the chin vent to keep it from building up. I don't have a fog problem with the stock screen. The smoke one won't be any different. It's the same as the stock one only tinted. Most helmets will fog weather you want them to or not when it gets a little colder out.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thx for all the good info so far.

Nice helmet rickybobbyv8. ;)

For fogging, go to a dive shop and get anti-fog solution. Works great.

A ducati dealer finally opened up in town. They are the only people with more than cheap gear. I got to try on dainese and I'm a 54 and a back protector should fit. So I now know my size at least.

Can anybody compare dainese sizing to teknic? RuitRC51? Nobody? Anybody? lol

I'm going to pull the trigger shortly and will report back.

·
Registered
86 Posts

A ducati dealer finally opened up in town. They are the only people with more than cheap gear. I got to try on dainese and I'm a 54 and a back protector should fit. So I now know my size at least.

I just went off of the sizing chart on the website. The fit was pretty dead on. I would take a tape and check your chest and waste measurements to be sure. Size 44 chest and 34-35" waste on the sizing chart for a 44. There is about 2" of adjustment on the waste to snug it up.

·
Banned
3,636 Posts
Fogging...pin lock nothing better. As for sizing of Dainese I wear a 42 jacket with an athletic build and found a Dainese 42/52 a tad too big, sort of like my Teknic 2 piece I can wear a hoodie under the Teknic.

Mind you I like the jacket to fit rather snug. So I would say ya close to Teknic bear in mind some suits are cut different even though made by the same manufacturer, I guess depends on the category of the suit. Ie touring, race etc...

·
Premium Member
1,904 Posts
Ditto on the pinlock, unbelievable. Fogging was my biggest complaint on my Arai lid, but there was no pinlock available for it then. Biggest thing about the gear is it has to fit properly or it doesn't matter what the brand label says. I was fortunate on my e-bay purchase, it's actually very good for what I shelled out for it and the seller was very good (there was a shipping cost glitch and he made it right right pronto). Scary buyibng stuff online when you are size concerned, but like I said I gambled and got lucky. Would rather deal with a box store supplier where you can try the stuff on adn walk around or sit on a bike and get the feel of it..

·
Registered
8,663 Posts

I've been wearing a Dianese leather jacket for about 5 years now. Size 52, wish I would have got a 54 so I have more room on the rare occasoins when I use the liner, or layer up with cloths underneath. I love the jacket, but I do have one major bitch about it. Dianese used the tiniest nylon zippers I have ever seen, and now it's time to have them taken out and have some real zippers sewn in. The main front zipper is a maddening PIA to get started. Always has been.
Aside from the zipper, it's a great jacket. I'm sure I'll get many more years from it. Oh, but I did take out the chinsey back protector and put in an upgraded one from Dainese.

·
Premium Member
928 Posts
I've been wearing a Dianese leather jacket for about 5 years now. Size 52, wish I would have got a 54 so I have more room on the rare occasoins when I use the liner, or layer up with cloths underneath. I love the jacket, but I do have one major bitch about it. Dianese used the tiniest nylon zippers I have ever seen, and now it's time to have them taken out and have some real zippers sewn in. The main front zipper is a maddening PIA to get started. Always has been.
Aside from the zipper, it's a great jacket. I'm sure I'll get many more years from it. Oh, but I did take out the chinsey back protector and put in an upgraded one from Dainese.
Grade A trash right there. I love my Dainese leather bottoms too, it's that freakn zipper thou. JD is right, im sure they do that so you can't mismatch as well as others do too. I bought a Ykk zipper, just have gone around to sewing it on. Just make sure what you decide to get, fits good for your riding style. As for icon, it's more of a stunted brand, some of there stuff do fit nicely too, just be sure to buy when it's on sale. Lol

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I may not be the right one to chime in but...I'm a gear whore, I love the stuff. 2 piece 1 piece it all good but has to be leather
I have a bit of a collection, but it is more to do with the fact that I was riding for a while and I keep my stuff. I have two 1-piece suits. One is my old race suit with lots of 'character'. The other is a new with tags JR speedmaster that I never got to use. Both are red which will work great for the RC51. I have a casual JR street leather. I have 3 sets of gloves or so but I'm getting new ones.

I have the Technic Violator jacket. I'm 6' about 220lbs and I have a size 46. The jacket is great. Very comfertable and liner has got to be one of the best out of the jackets I have had (others include A* and Vanson Leathers). One of the only jackets left out there that still comes with a thermal vest liner. With the vest liner out it flows a decent amount of air. I'm usually ok until it gets over 85 F outside as long as I'm moving. I would stay clear of Icon only because they are more for the "show" and not the "go" IMO. Other good stuff to look at is A* if you can find a good deal. Try STG (sportbiketrackgear.com) and make sure you call Jason. You will get extra discount being a forum member. Big key with leathers is the less panels and stitching the less chance it has to come apart during a crash.

I also just ordered the Arai Corsair V Nicky 3 Stars and the helmet is very comfertable and stable at speed.
Thx for the info and sizing feedback RuitRC51. I like the liner idea as we have quite a variety of temps where I live.

It seems there will be a lot of nice helmets around the forum here.

Grade A trash right there. I love my Dainese leather bottoms too, it's that freakn zipper thou. JD is right, im sure they do that so you can't mismatch as well as others do too. I bought a Ykk zipper, just have gone around to sewing it on. Just make sure what you decide to get, fits good for your riding style. As for icon, it's more of a stunted brand, some of there stuff do fit nicely too, just be sure to buy when it's on sale. Lol
Thx for the info. I had a 52 spyke suit years ago and it was pretty tight. I was a lot more athletically built then, and I have a lot more, shall we say, insulation now. For the street, a 54 should do well. I am losing weight and getting back into better shape but the jacket should still be fine. I can tweak the size via the lining and with various back protector options (and even chest protector).

Thx everyone for all the input. :) It has helped me in my searching and decision making. I did a lot internet comparing and shopping on prices and I pulled the trigger. I wasn't going to rush buying but I found some huge deals too good to pass up because it is the end of season and there are places getting rid of 2012 stock for 2013 stock. There are some great deals out there. I'm stoked as I ended up finding awesome sale prices on two jackets and I decided to buy both. :rolleyes:

I purchased one of the few remaining 2012 Teknic violator jackets availalbe, and it was at 60% off retail. Monster deal.

And I found and bought one of the last 2012 Dainese Rebel jackets still available in my size in North America; and it was 40% off retail.

Both jackets will be v nice I'm sure and both have liners, which is a bonus for where I live. The Dainese Rebel is non-perforated which will complement the Teknic violator which is perforated.

I also found and bought new 2012 Dainese full metal pro gloves for about 40% off retail.

The gloves came out of Canada. The jackets are coming from the US. If you are interested in these deals and where I found the gear PM me for more info.

I won't receive anything for a while (the Dainese jacket is being shipped from Italy). But I'll report back on how everything goes.

·
Registered
8,663 Posts
I looked up those jackets. Both cool, I like the Dainese.
It may be being shipped from Italy, but if you look at the tag, it might be made in Ukraine. Mine is.
But to be fair, I'm sure that the leather is made in Italy. They produce about 80% of the worlds leather, I'm told.

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Thx jondog9 for that. I'm really looking forward to the jackets. I haven't had nice new gear in years. I'm a sucker for great deals. :rolleyes:

Back a long time ago, I had a nice spyke one piece suit but never went onto more, such as dainese gear. That was because I got into tracking and all the money went into that. Now that I'm back into the bike thing I've since moved and there are no tracks around for me to spend money on.

I've pasted some pics of the two jackets below that have the big sale prices discussed earlier. The dainese version I have is non-perf compared to the pics.

·
Banned
3,636 Posts
Damn...Christmas is a little early. Nice, especially like the Dainese jacket. I was trying to avoid gear since I have a crap load, but if the price is right I was thinking about that Cortech Adrenaline suit.

Price and sizing.

·
Premium Member
8,335 Posts
Some of my stuff has come in. Happy days.

I found out the 2013 violator jacket is identical to the 2012. Both jackets are awesome.

Glad to see the Teknic gear. That is what I have switched to from Alpinestars. Alpinestars likes to occasionally run sizes smaller on some of their gear, which sucks.

Teknic runs pretty true to size....since I have a pony keg hiding my six pack, I have to wear mens size clothing:D

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Just ordered some christmas presents. For me. :)

Thought some others would be interested in these items which have been out of stock for months.

The dainese wave G2 (and G1) back protector is finally back in stock at a few places after being out of stock for months. Ordered mine off ebay from the dainese store in Chicago. They have free US shipping for you lucky US guys.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/DAINESE-WAVE-G1-G2-BACK-PROTECTOR-BLACK-/140898377580?pt=Apparel_Merchandise&var=&hash=item20ce329f6c&vxp=mtr

I also saw on ebay the same store had the Dainese union belt in stock for the first time in a long long time. Ordered. This belt allows dainese jackets to be fastened to jeans by a belt so the jacket won't ride up. Excellent system. Again free shipping in the US.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/DAINESE-UNION-BELT-BLACK-/140896554278?pt=Apparel_Merchandise&hash=item20ce16cd26&vxp=mtr

And I found a great deal on Sidi ST boots. Thinking....

1 - 20 of 27 Posts