RC51 Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Helmet I have I used when I was racing back in 1993, it's time for an update if I'm goina start riding a bike again. I want a closed helmet, I'm not a fan of these ones where the whole front opens up, something light, breathable, and above all, something rated so I can bash my head against a brick wall at 400mph. Sure my head may come off, but I want people to see the expression on my face right before I hit. Tab is pretty open, help me keep it below $1000 (I know you guys spend more then that on some of these exhausts).

Suggestions?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Follow up question, is it considered off-color to wear something similar to dirt bike boots while on the road? I ask because off-road they have saved my ass a ton from stitches and broken bones. Ah hell I'm goina do it anyway, screw what anybody thinks.

·
Registered
84 Posts
i just picked up a scorpion helmet for $65 shipped
theres alot of deals like that out there
its no shoei but its jsut as good as hjc which is pretty popoular and wont break the bank

as for the shoes i like to ride in a hiker/boot i used to ride in work boots (timberland) but if we stopped and wanted to walk around it got uncomfortable

·
Registered
232 Posts
I prefer shoei and have one now Ive had for about 5 years. As far as shoes for the most part I just wear normal shoes but I do have a pair of alpine star boots that are good for a full day of riding and offer alot of protection without looking like body armor.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I used to wear a Scorpion helmet and have had an Arai. I am currently wearing a Suomy. The Suomy is by far the best helmet I have worn. Not cheap, but very nice. I couldn't tell any difference from the Scorpion to the Aria when it was on my head, to be honest, except the visor on the Scorpion seemed to fog up a lot faster.

As for boots, I wear Sidi B2's. Very comfortable, excellent protection and materials. I used to wear high top sneakers until I went down a couple years ago and the only thing that got hurt was my right foot.

I believe having the right gear is a very big deal. These bike are fast and powerful, and even if you are totally on your game, somebody else might not be.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I believe having the right gear is a very big deal. These bike are fast and powerful, and even if you are totally on your game, somebody else might not be.
Exactly, I have absolutely zero problem spending more money in gear than in bike modifications (or the bike itself for that matter). I've been thrown way too many times in the dirt and been saved way too often by not only wearing my gear, but having a good quality as well. The only injury I've had that could have been avoided, I had to get stitches in my leg one night I decided I would be fine to go without my boots. Those boots would have saved me a trip to the hospital that night, I've worn full gear ever since.

The other one I was on a KLX300R and the thing wouldn't stop overheating, had the same problem with a KLX250 and it would just shut off. Anyway I was heading down an extremely steep hill using the engine to brake when the bike overheats and cuts the engine. I was going slow enough at the time that it locked up the rear wheel and started me sideways. I clutch and ease onto both brakes but not in enough time, I started gaining speed way too quickly and couldn't make a turn, ended up over the handle bars with the bike on top of me. I've had problems with my right shoulder ever since. After that I sold both bikes, I will never buy another Kaw again, street or offroad. Kills me because I sold my XR250 for the KLX300, that XR was just a TANK. Most reliable trail bike I've ever owned; put power above reliability and it came back to bite me.

Thanks for the input thus far, I'm still listening.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Just bought an RF-1000 Shoei for $299 @ local shop (closeout). I have Sidi Air Strada boots that I love. Being an ex- motocrosser I thought about those boots also. Kind of wish I had, although I think more ankle flex is needed for a tucked riding position.

·
Registered
67 Posts
ICON ive worn all the helmets, and with the exception of arai. i think the ICON helmets are the best. most comfortable and quietest for the money. they are DOT and SNELL approved and have some of the best designs. they are also very cool in the summer months

·
Old & Slow Admin
271 Posts
ICON ive worn all the helmets, and with the exception of arai. i think the ICON helmets are the best. most comfortable and quietest for the money. they are DOT and SNELL approved and have some of the best designs. they are also very cool in the summer months
Uggg...Icon is not even on the same planet as AGV/Arai/Shoei.

·
Registered
502 Posts
I have 22 helmets (Arai, Shoei, Suomy, HJC, Icon, Joe Rocket, and AGV). 2 leather suits (1-1 piece, 1-2 piece). 4 leather jackets. A dozen or so pairs of gloves. 1 pair of Sidi boots. 1 pair Alpinestar boots. Not bragging of all the stuff I have. I don't race or do track days. I believe in wearing gear!

Get a helmet that fits. That's the most important thing. Some are better than others, but they will all protect you better than nothing at all!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Uggg...Icon is not even on the same planet as AGV/Arai/Shoei.
maybe not to you, but unless your a name brand junkie, they are just as comfortable, quieter than an arai and less expensive. plus they have the same safety ratings and donate 10% of all sales to iraq war vets. does shoei or arai do that? go ICON youll be glad you did

oh, also consider this is your head only worth 100 bucks? spend some good money not all helmets are created equal and there are numerous safety ratings, make sure you get one that has more than a DOT rating.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts