RC51 Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got this 2000 RC a couple of weeks ago. Needed a lot of minor TLC, but seems to be in pretty good shape.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
From what I can tell, the frame and motor are 2000, but the plastics and wheels are from a 2005 and the gauge is a euro version (can't change from kph to mph).

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Found some more issues, but the bike's in the shop now. Here is a list of stuff getting done:
Forks resprung and serviced
Shock resprung and shimmed
Steel braided front brake lines
Undertail replaced (previous undertail was trashed)
Overheating and possible oil leak looked into (fingers crossed)
-1, +2 sprockets and new chain
new (to me...thanks HondaRuss) speedo

That should get the bike back to proper form.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Can't say that yours is in better mechanical condition than mine, but at least you have all the fairings! Hopefully the overheating is minor.... good luck!

Maurice

·
Registered
21 Posts
From what I can tell, the frame and motor are 2000, but the plastics and wheels are from a 2005 and the gauge is a euro version (can't change from kph to mph).
Try putting the clocks into mileage mode and keeping the reset button pressed until it changes to miles. Mine is a euro spec bike and can alternate between the two. You MUST be showing overall mileage though, not trip mileage. This will also change to speedo reading from KPH to MPH.
HTH.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Try putting the clocks into mileage mode and keeping the reset button pressed until it changes to miles. Mine is a euro spec bike and can alternate between the two. You MUST be showing overall mileage though, not trip mileage. This will also change to speedo reading from KPH to MPH.
HTH.
There are two versions of the Speedo, one can go from MPH to KPH (US only), one doesn't, according to the 2000-2001 manual. I've tried several times, holding the button for up to a full minute (should be 5 secs, I believe), and in all modes (just to be certain).

But this is now a moot point, since I have another speedo.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
All is done...but the RC has suffered (has been suffering) from the infamous LRS (left radiator syndrome). So now, if I can't get the radiator fixed, I've got find a radiator...or buy a new one:eek::(

I haven't had my bike for about 4 or 5 weeks while the weather is getting nice...

·
Registered
232 Posts
Ive had the same problem.. I have said this on alot of threads.. A superhawk radiator bolts right up to the RC you just have to take off the fan and run without it.. Ive been riding without one for a few months now with no overheating problems.. eventually Ill get my old rad fixed and remounted but the superhawk rad was cheap and easy to get at a bike salvage yard..

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Finally got the radiator fixed. The radiator shop did a crap job on my rad, but the shop owner that did all the work on my bike hooked me up by repairing his spare and giving mine back...and didn't charge me for it. I'm gonna ship it off to Mylers to get fixed.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I did end up getting the rad fixed locally. Found a shop in St Louis, and haven't had a problem since...well, until this past weekend. The bike has been doing double duty as a street and track bike, so last week I picked up a very clean 2002 to ride as my street bike and relegate the '00 as a 95% track bike. Pics of both below. Without getting in to too much detail, I suffered a get-off at the track. This would have been all (mostly) good, since I now had a second bike for street use...but I suffered 3 dislocated metacarpals and 2 small fractures of the wrist bones they connect to (4 temp pins), which means that I can't ride either bike for at least 7 weeks.

·
Premium Member
1,961 Posts
Sorry to hear of your mishap sticks, but welcome to the site. Is it possible that the 2000 is a Cdn model? We can't change our speedo/odo to miles up here. I could run the vin through Honda Canada and find out for you, or a dealer down there should be able to tell if it's US or Cdn.

·
Registered
8,655 Posts
Welcome back StickS. I joined after you and apparently missed your thread.
Hope you heal all right. Good job on having twins!

·
Premium Member
8,329 Posts
Welcome nice choices and I hope you heal up soon....just to do it allllll over again.;):D

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Sorry to hear of your mishap sticks, but welcome to the site. Is it possible that the 2000 is a Cdn model? We can't change our speedo/odo to miles up here. I could run the vin through Honda Canada and find out for you, or a dealer down there should be able to tell if it's US or Cdn.
I suspected that the 2000 is a Canadian model. The speedo was replaced awhile ago, so there is no longer an issue...well, with that anyway.

Welcome back StickS. I joined after you and apparently missed your thread.
Hope you heal all right. Good job on having twins!
Thanks...so far the healing process is going well. You did the SP2 exhaust on an SP1, right(or the other way around)? If so, I may be hitting you up with some questions.

Welcome nice choices and I hope you heal up soon....just to do it allllll over again.;):D
Yep, that's the plan....heal, repair, and start the cycle again...but that's the downside of track riding

1 - 14 of 14 Posts