RC51 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Just purchased a 2002 with only 10k miles in Pittsburgh. So far it's been a blast and is loads more fun than my sv650. It has a steering stabilizer and power commander 3. It also came with bar risers but I took those off and reverted it to stock. Are there any upgrades worth considering?

Also, I was wondering if anyone else had an issue around 3k rpm where the engine flutters. Maybe it's a tuning issue or a throttle position sensor out of wack? It doesn't happen too often and the bike being as fun as it is makes up for it.

Thanks in advance,

Chip

Here's a picture I took in the park.
IMG_2944.JPG

·
Registered
190 Posts
Congrats. Not sure what to say about the engine fluttering. Your bike just may need some TLC like fresh fuel and plugs.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah I noticed it in first gear. Bike is fine in traffic around 2-2.5 but for some reason it flicks between 2.8-3.1 in that range but nowhere else

·
Registered
327 Posts
Yeah I noticed it in first gear. Bike is fine in traffic around 2-2.5 but for some reason it flicks between 2.8-3.1 in that range but nowhere else
A V-twin has uneven firing pulses and they're spread apart , at low RPM the crankshaft actually speeds up and slows down in between. The motor chugs and the chain and cush drive snatch back and forth. Low RPM and too little load on the driveline.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Interesting I never noticed it on my sv, however I did notice a vibrational harmonic at 3k, 6k…ect. Might have to do with the greater rotational inertia of the RC and different gear ratios from the engine to the rear tire. If so wouldn’t you be able to tune it out by retarding spark or is that still not enough?

·
Registered
327 Posts
Interesting I never noticed it on my sv, however I did notice a vibrational harmonic at 3k, 6k…ect. Might have to do with the greater rotational inertia of the RC and different gear ratios from the engine to the rear tire. If so wouldn’t you be able to tune it out by retarding spark or is that still not enough?
If you've got a Power Commander giving it a little more fuel on the bottom will smooth it a little at the expense of a little throttle response.

·
Premium Member
1,961 Posts
Change your gearing to bring up the rpm for town/city riding, I run 15/43 on the track; they have a stumble at just over 3k with stock set-up. Common as the stock gearing is so high. A power commander and custom map helps too. The flapper mod and soft rev limiter are common things to do.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts