RC51 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
getting ready to replace the chain and sprockets on my 02. i am currently running 15/40. plan on staying with that. need some info on what you guys recommend as far as brand for replacement. are vortex sprockets any good. i am up in the air weather to switch to 520. currently running 530. what about ek chains or should i go with did.

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
Ya know this is such a hidden secret that the only way to find this well guarded information is to google "RC51 Gearing" or "RC51 Sprocket" and the following link pops up like first thing. BUT SHHHHHH don't tell anyone!!!! We wouldn't want the word getting out and having to stop people from asking the same fucking questions every couple months on these forums for like 2 decades straight...

ROGUE RC51 Common Gearing Questions & Answers

·
Registered
7 Posts
Mostly it depend on how diligent you are on you maintenance and chain cleaning. I personally am lazy and didn't do it as often as I should have when I was riding 70ish miles a day to work as it was my only vehicle for years. When you put in 85-100 hr weeks, you value sleep more than the extra cost a new chain every year. At that point buying the best is wasted because it will wear prematurely same as a cheaper one. Not to say buy a crappy no name Chinese but any reputable chain. Now that my bikes are toys and ridden for pleasure they get a little more love.

·
Premium Member
1,580 Posts
I run 15/42 Renthal Sprockets with DID chain. Just ordered a new set after three years. Good chain maintenance is key.
I run hard with lots of trackdays, no wheelies unless it's coming hard out of a corner (not normal on an RC51).

Most Vortex sprockets are aluminum. Stay away from aluminum unless they are hard anodized.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I would recommend purchasing the 520 conversion from Kyle Racing, steel sprockets (15/41, but I suppose you could request 15/40) and DID ERV3 520. Gearing makes a hug difference on the street. And a real decent price from a guy who has been around awhile...

·
Registered
239 Posts
I would recommend purchasing the 520 conversion from Kyle Racing, steel sprockets (15/41, but I suppose you could request 15/40) and DID ERV3 520. Gearing makes a hug difference on the street. And a real decent price from a guy who has been around awhile...
Did you just wake from a coma ? This thread is 2 years old.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts