RC51 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Back at it after a 6 year vacation from a serious run in with the asphalt monster. New to the RC, not new to bikes. Figured since I was starting over, I would start out right. Found a black '05, and it's been lovely.

·
Premium Member
3,186 Posts
cool congrats on the bike and welcome to the forum.

·
Premium Member
8,328 Posts
Asphalt surfing....its over rated :D

Welcome, ride safe.

·
Registered
8,655 Posts
Holy crap!!! That's pretty wicked. How long did that take to heal? Will you regain 100% use of your leg? I'm guessing not. Sorry that had to happen to you, but you're back. And a wiser rider for it...

·
Premium Member
6,480 Posts
There's a bone in there somewhere, but damn if I can see it.
Looks like a bad multiple fracture. Hope you didn't get any nerve damage.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Major malfunction there. Pretty good nerve damage in about 50% of my leg. Broke both bones. Pulverized them for about 4 inches. Also broke right arm and dislocated elbow. External fixature from thigh to ankle for 3 months. Knee to ankle for another 4. 16 surgeries in all, just on the leg. 12 I think on the arm. Wheelchair for 6 months, had to relearn to walk. Took about 2 years total to get close to 100%. Maybe about 90% now, and that's all it will ever be. Arthritis is getting me now, and not but 40. Have a knee replacement to look forward to in a couple of years. Bone split all the way into my knee socket. They had to put it back together with 6 titanium screws. Have 12 titanium screws and plate from elbow to wrist in my arm. Had bone graph from hip to stuff in hole in chin, and boner from a deceased Marine Corp Staff Sgt. in my arm who died 2 weeks prior on an R-1. We were stationed in Okinawa Japan when all this went down. Totaled a brand new Buell Lighting, only 568 miles on the clock.

Attachments

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Going into a tunnel in a curve, Japanese dump truck up ahead with a load of broken concrete, chunk of concrete size of football falls off to close to avoid. Handlebars snatched outta my hands from impact with chunk o' junk. No time to recover, back brake worthless, bike meets guardrail at 55-60 mph. I wake up on the side of the road surrounded by my riding buddies. They tell me not to move, I don't listen . Try to stand, leg won't support my weight. What the hell is wrong here ? Sit back down, against advice, I remove my jacket.Arm hurts like hell. Where did this bump come from ? Oh, that's the bone trying to come through the skin. Go back to leg. Blood is coming through pants. Not good. Guys start buddy care. Japanese EMT's arrive 1.5 hours later, we were as far north as you could go. 1.5 hours back. 2 hours for them to establish that I had only screwed up my right arm and left leg. Finally get a mega dose of morphine 5 ours after impact. The fun begins.....

·
Registered
29 Posts
Thank God your alive sir to ride another day!! Nice ride and welcome to the forum if you get behind any trucks o junk detour...

·
Registered
114 Posts
That is freaking wicked my friend. Glad that you survived and made the decision to jump back on the horse and keep riding. I went through a real bad one a few years ago myself, but did not wind up w/physical injuries as bad as yours. Again though, glad you're okay and back out there, stay safe...and EXCELLENT choice on the bike, if I do say so myself.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts