RC51 Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everybody. Just got my '01 yesterday. I rode through two full tanks of gas I was having so much fun. I traded my 2005 GSX-R 1000 straight across for the RC. What a different ride! These two bikes are night and day from each other. I had never ridden an RC before yesterday, my only Vtwin experience was on a SV650. I couldn't believe the torque! And the sound! The sound of a big twin rumbling is incredible.

The bike is all stock with the exception of slip ons. They are from a brand I have not heard of and I can't find anything online about them either.

If any of you could help me with ficuring out what these cans are I would definitley appreciate it. It says ZERO Titanium Japan and has symbols similar to yoshimura, but not. I will try to get pics up tonight. Any info anybody could give me would be awsome.

Anyways, Just wanted to say hello.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I plan on doing lots and lots of miles on her. Thanks for the comments. My K5 GSX-R 1000 had nearly 16,000 miles. I ride a lot. Mt St. Hellens is on the list for spring. I am fortunate where I live because there are so many great riding roads.

I havent had time to miss the top end rush of the GSX-R yet, it has only been a couple days. I anticipate a little bit of longing initially but I am thinking the torque and noise of the RC will overcome that. Not to mention the drop dead sexy looks of the thing.

I attached a couple pics of the GSX-R for you to check out. It laid down 184.3 hp at the wheel earlier this summer on the dyno at RMC. I custom painted it in my garage. It had a Scorpion carbon slip on attached to the factory big tube titanium headers, exhaust butterfly and servo motor removed, pcIII with custom map, bmc filter, velocity stacks, tre mod and carbon fiber here and there. I love that bike, but I was ready for a change. I wanted something you didn't see everyday. So RC51 it was.

For the RC, I ordered an undertail yesterday and new headlight bulbs as the high beam was out. I am looking into new clip ons, rearsets, chain adjusters and a power commander. Any suggestions on which companies are best suited to the RC would be appreciated.

Also, what is the flapper mod I keep seeing people have done? And the pair mod? Any other mods I can do in the garage? Are there any gains from these mods?

Attachments

·
Registered
494 Posts
I am a coverted gixxer guy as well. Love the top end charge of the inlines but I love dragging knee and not having to bang gears all the time. I might be one of the few people that like the stock gearing on the RC. I love how useable 1st gear is:cool:

I love the bridge that you have to go across to get to st helens. I got to blast across it on a daytona and it was such a cool feeling.

Im new to the RC as well but the common theme seems to be that sato makes the best rearsets and exhaust. They are pricey but I believe in getting what you pay for and that seems to be the case with sato.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks speedster. Where you from? You must be from somewhere in the great northwest.

I have heard good things about Sato as well.

Any idea where I can get a fastener kit for the fairings? The only problem with the bike seems to be that when people in the past have taken the fairings on and off have not put all the plastic rivets back and a few bolts are missing as well. Kinda frustrating, but it could be a lot worse.

Any info is appreciated.

·
Premium Member
6,501 Posts
The flapper valve is a noise reduction device.
It has a solenoid controlled vacuum actuator that closes a valve in the intake snorkel which blocks off almost half the intake area.
The flapper mod either disables the flapper valve at minimum, or removes the entire mechanism at most.
The PAIR mod is the removal of the air injection system used to reduce emissions in the exhaust system.
It usually entails removal of the system and installation of block of plates on the cam covers.
While it might not add much power, it does lose weight and complexity.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks Nrvsmyk. West Seattle huh? I live in Federal Way and I do a lot of work in West Seattle. Maybe we can ride out together sometime.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Welcome to the forum dude..

·
Registered
422 Posts
ZERO pipes...its from MORIWAKI...its very well known pipes here in Singapore

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.