RC51 Forums banner

New guy from CA

640 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  tisser 
Sounds like a great find. The RC is pretty damn solid, there really are only a few minor common issues. I've been looking hard at Ducati 1098 as I love that bike, but it has some pretty serious mechanical issues which is holding me back. It really makes me appreciate how simple and reliable the RC is in comparison.

1. Fuel Pressure Regulator (FPR). These often go bad. Symptoms are hard starting, the smell of fuel, fouled plugs etc. They cost about $50 for the genuine HONDA part and is an easy replacement. It is right under the tank at the back of the fuel rail. If this has not been replaced, plan on doing it.
2. Regulator/rectifier failure. The unit used on the RC is common on many motorcycles. There are a few threads here (search MOSFET) that give you a detailed replacement instructions. About $140 bucks and you are upgraded to a much more reliable solution that won't leave you stranded.
3. CDI box. These seem to be less of an issue but I have come across it a few times.
4. Clutch slave leaking. I don't think this is much of an issue but it was for me. However I bought a 2000 model that sat for 11 years unused.
5. Be sure to replace all fluids for your own sanity. Honda OEM or HiFlo Filtro oil filters are my preference. Mobil 1 10w-40 4T is a fantastic oil at a great price and works well in RC. I'm currently running Redline 10w-40 as I was able to get a great deal on it. Not sure I can say it is any better than Mobil, but it too works well and has higher levels of ZDDP.
6. I would ask the last time the plugs and air filters were changed out. You may consider doing those as well if they haven't been changed. Keep in mind the plugs are iridium tipped so you do NOT gap them.

1, 5, and 6 are probably all you need to be concerned with right away and you will have yourself a fantastic running bike.

Get yourself the genuine HONDA service manual and you will find yourself with a pretty easy bike to work on. Keep us posted.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.