RC51 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, found your forums while searching google for information on RC51's and here I am. I currently own a 2005 Honda VFR800 and while I love it, I am looking for a mate for her. I found a 2005 RC51, in black, bike is bone stock minus the FMF exhaust, slip-ons I believe. It has 11500 miles on it and I am curious if there are any issues I should look for or just dive right in. The guy has a pretty high price tag on it but hopefully he is willing to come down a bit since it has been listed for several months now. Any advice or pointers you can give would be great, thanks!

·
Premium Member
736 Posts
Depends on price, i would say...

...there have been a few beautiful '05 examples sold for ~5800 on craigslist ;)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
He wants well over 5800 for his bike, I don't think I am going to offer him much over 6000 since in my area there are plenty available, but I am partial to black.

·
Premium Member
3,188 Posts
Big thing on SP2's is just looking for the usual stuff. If its been down, non original fairings, and if general maintenance has been done. You don't see the FMF slip ons very often, not sure about the performance, but i do remember i really liked the look on the RC.

I would not offer more then 6 either.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Decided to pass on this one, he won't come down enough for me, well better yet my wife, to let me pull the trigger. I have however found a 2002 with 17800 miles on it, looks completely stock. I have been doing some reading about some kind of a gas leak from the tank, is this a normal problem?

·
Premium Member
4,617 Posts
Welcome. A fair few of us here have VFR's too, they seem to attracti similar minded owners. If it's still available, check extralopator's on here for sale. He's in FL though!

His is a nice bike for sale...A Nicky Hayden edition which is the prettiest US model in most people's eyes.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
FL would be a nice drive back, but I am out of vaca time at work :(
This 02 is only a couple hours away from me, I liked the idea of a fully stock bike.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Decided to pass on this one, he won't come down enough for me, well better yet my wife, to let me pull the trigger. I have however found a 2002 with 17800 miles on it, looks completely stock. I have been doing some reading about some kind of a gas leak from the tank, is this a normal problem?
yes. i simple bead welded around the rear mounting bracket should fix it up.

·
Premium Member
8,335 Posts
FL would be a nice drive back, but I am out of vaca time at work :(
This 02 is only a couple hours away from me, I liked the idea of a fully stock bike.
Just because it looks stock doesn't mean it has been that way in a previous garage.:eek:

If you buy, go look at it pull the side fairings and look for coolant leaks, oil glass sight should be clean with little to no etching (this means the oil wasn't changed as often as it should and acid from the crank case etched the glass.) The main thing most of us has seen go bad is the FPR or fuel pressure regulator. I and many other keep on one on the shelf.;) Oil leaks, although rare, they do happen. Check the wiring under the rear seat or cowl cover, that some times gets butchered during the aftermarket under tail install.

Steering head bearing should be smooth and consistent, if it is catching or grinding, they need changed.

That is what I can think of for now....these are rock solid for the most part. Just like most Hondas I have owner, change the oil routinely and keep the coolant topped off, it should be good to roll.:cool:

Oh and welcome to the forum.

(We really should create a proper forum stickie for this item!!!!)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the help, I am hoping I can get in touch with him tomorrow to go put my eyes on it.

·
Premium Member
3,188 Posts
It's more prevalent on SP1 tanks, but also early SP2s. My SP1 had a leak along with a small dent so i just replaced the tank with a 04 Hayden tank, but it seems guys are easily able to bead weld it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
My SP1 had a leak along with a small dent so i just replaced the tank with a 04 Hayden tank, but it seems guys are easily able to bead weld it.
I was going to ask if a tank replacement fixed it for good, I do not have access to a welder myself but I am sure someone could weld it for me.

There's a few of us in Kansas City. Where about is SEK are you located?
I am in Chanute, about 2 hours from KC. I have just been browsing Craigslist via searchtempest. The one I found tonight is in Wichita, posted earlier this evening.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts