RC51 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A couple weeks ago I finally picked up a 2003 RC51 after having an eye on them for years. I couldn't decide how I felt about a V-twin sport bike, so I assume that owning one will be a good way to form an opinion. It's hardly a virgin bike, but it runs great. It's got low mount Sato Racing CF exhausts, upgraded rear sets, SS brake lines, speedo recal, regeared, flush mount signals in front and an LED tail light with integrated turn signals. It came with a Power Commander IIIr but the previous owner said it was losing power around 5k RPM, so I am going to try a new map when I get the chance. Unfortunately, riding time remaining this year is pretty limited for me (early and long central NY Winter), but I'll enjoy it until weather gets cold, then go through and figure out what else has been altered. It's my 3rd bike and has a ton more torque than I'm used to (previously has YZF600R and CBR 600) so I'm quite pleased with that. Also, I hate to admit what a selling point the sound of the bike is, but I've never liked the sound of a bike so much... It's got 19k miles on it and has been down but I was told by the previous owner that a woman backed into the bike in a parking lot and knocked it over and that the guy who owned it before him put it down at low speed (has some rash). Mechanically it appears to be sound and I have a lot of faith in Honda for producing a solid bike.

If anyone has suggestions of maps to try, I'd appreciate it. My intent now is to use the maps from rogue. There is a sato low mount map from Kyle that I was hoping would be good.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,480 Posts
Welcome to the group!!
It might be an '03, but it has an '02 front cowl installed.
The way to be sure is check the VIN number on the right frame spar.

At least the previous owner had taste. He installed a set of Sato low mounts on the bike. Those are about the primo slip-ons made with a great sound!
They also don't make them anymore. So take good care of them.

While it may have a PCIIIr, it might need a decent dyno map created for the bike.
It is looses power and possibly misfires at a certain rev range, that's a sign it's running too lean.
The best method is to put the bike on a dyno and get it mapped rather than downloading some map that might not match your bike perfectly.
It might be in the ballpark, but ideal.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's interesting to hear about the cowl- I didn't realize it had been replaced. As long as he was replacing it, it would have been nice if he installed one in better condition! I guess the bike could have been down since then too. Checked the VIN and it's an 03.

I couldn't be happier with the exhaust, though I'm wondering if I should re-pack it and what's involved in doing that. I've heard it's easy but I've never done it on my bikes.

As far as the PC3 goes, I'll try the map or maybe another if someone suggests something else, but the bike runs great as it is and I don't feel like I need any more power- at least at the moment. I'm always inclined to tinker though, so maybe I'll get restless and see if I can find anyone with a dyno around here to run it. It's not even installed on the bike currently.

I've also thought about putting some sort of cover (carbon fiber) on the dash. Mine looks like it has melted a little and I've read that it's a common problem, especially with certain aftermarket windshields.

Thanks for the warm welcome.

·
Registered
8,655 Posts
That's interesting to hear about the cowl- I didn't realize it had been replaced. As long as he was replacing it, it would have been nice if he installed one in better condition! I guess the bike could have been down since then too. Checked the VIN and it's an 03.

I couldn't be happier with the exhaust, though I'm wondering if I should re-pack it and what's involved in doing that. I've heard it's easy but I've never done it on my bikes.

As far as the PC3 goes, I'll try the map or maybe another if someone suggests something else, but the bike runs great as it is and I don't feel like I need any more power- at least at the moment. I'm always inclined to tinker though, so maybe I'll get restless and see if I can find anyone with a dyno around here to run it. It's not even installed on the bike currently.

I've also thought about putting some sort of cover (carbon fiber) on the dash. Mine looks like it has melted a little and I've read that it's a common problem, especially with certain aftermarket windshields.

Thanks for the warm welcome.
Do you mean the PC is not installed on the bike currently? (That's ok I think, may run a little lean, like you're describing, and like SubSailor explained.)
And loosing power at 5K rpm? That sounds like the flapper kicking closed. Possibly. What I don't understand is, when did the PC get unhooked?

If you've been on rogue's site, than maybe you already know about the Flapper Mod? in their Mods section?
Look into the air intake with a flashlight and see if you see a black flapper in the open position, that would cover the left half (the chain side of the bike) of the air intake. If you see it in there, than look right below the speedometer on top of the frame: there's big cap with a vacuum hose attached. If you see that, the flapper mod has not been done, and that could explain your symptoms. Sato exhaust, no PC, and no flapper mod.

You need to find out what map is on that PCIIIr.
Which opens another can of worms.
The PCIIIr can only interface with your laptop via a 9pin serial cable. Most of us don't have serial ports on our laptops anymore, so...
You'll need to get (any cheap one will do) a usb/9pin serial cable. You probably will need to install a driver for it on your computer too. Pretty straight forward.
Actually there's a lot more, I just went thru all this with mine. If you need more help, I'll be glad to share what I know. Cause it isn't exactly easy, but well worth the effort once it's all sorted out!

SubSailor, don't you think that the kyle map would be good for him until he get's the money and a GOOD dyno shop? How do you get that map anyway?

·
Premium Member
6,480 Posts
Without a power commander connected, I'm thinking the engine is running lean starting at the 5000 RPM reported.
One of the symptoms of a lean condition is loss of power as if the timing is retarded.
If it gets even leaner, it will start to misfire.
He needs to find a bike shop with a dyno and have it mapped.
Should only take no more than an hour.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Welcome G-lenn. I live in CNY as well. I saw an RC 51 on Lakeshore last weekend when we were launching my friends boat. I wonder if that was you. It's the first one I've seen around here other than mine and the one my friend used to have. Nice ride

·
Registered
8,655 Posts
Without a power commander connected, I'm thinking the engine is running lean starting at the 5000 RPM reported.
One of the symptoms of a lean condition is loss of power as if the timing is retarded.
If it gets even leaner, it will start to misfire.
He needs to find a bike shop with a dyno and have it mapped.
Should only take no more than an hour.
Yeah, that does fit.
So on that view, are sato's that much different from yoshi's?

You might remember recently when you and madbuyer helped me thru the code 19? I unhooked the PCIIIr, and the bike ran almost as good as it did before the PC failure. That was the weekend I rode Hwy 36 in and back.
I didn't get any lean conditions with the stock ecm and yoshi's. I only noticed a tiny slight difference even when I was bumping into the soft rev limiter. Which wasn't all that much, just saying...

·
Premium Member
6,480 Posts
Yeah, that does fit.
So on that view, are sato's that much different from yoshi's?

You might remember recently when you and madbuyer helped me thru the code 19? I unhooked the PCIIIr, and the bike ran almost as good as it did before the PC failure. That was the weekend I rode Hwy 36 in and back.
I didn't get any lean conditions with the stock ecm and yoshi's. I only noticed a tiny slight difference even when I was bumping into the soft rev limiter. Which wasn't all that much, just saying...
It's difficult to believe that a slip-on like the Sato (that gives such a nice mid-range torque boost) does not affect air/fuel ratio enough to warrant a power commander.

It would be nice to see a dyno chart with the Satos and without a power commander to check what the air/fuel ratio is across the board.

My guess is that when those pipes start their magic, the A/F ratio will lean out possibly quite a bit at around 4500 - 5000 RPM, which is around where most pipes start affecting mid-range.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The flapper mod was something I planed on looking for. My ess, based on the other mods and the fact that its free, if that its been done. I may not have been clear about the pc. The guy told new that it lost power around 5k rpm with the pc installed. He removed it and it ran great.it seems to run great now and if I didn't already have the pc, I would leave it alone.
If I knew a dyno shop around here that could tune it in an hour,I wouldn't hesitate to do that, but I don't.

Redrocket- you didn't see me last weekend, I was at baltimore gran prix. You might see me up there someone though, I'm in ithaca, so I make it up to syracuse occasionally.

·
Registered
8,655 Posts
It's difficult to believe that a slip-on like the Sato (that gives such a nice mid-range torque boost) does not affect air/fuel ratio enough to warrant a power commander.

It would be nice to see a dyno chart with the Satos and without a power commander to check what the air/fuel ratio is across the board.

My guess is that when those pipes start their magic, the A/F ratio will lean out possibly quite a bit at around 4500 - 5000 RPM, which is around where most pipes start affecting mid-range.
That's the information I needed clearing up on. Thank you for that.

The flapper mod was something I planed on looking for. My ess, based on the other mods and the fact that its free, if that its been done. I may not have been clear about the pc. iThe guy told new that it lost power around 5k rpm with the pc installed. He removed it and it ran great.t seems to run great now and if I didn't already have the pc, I would leave it alone.If I knew a dyno shop around here that could tune it in an hour,I wouldn't hesitate to do that, but I don't.

Redrocket- you didn't see me last weekend, I was at baltimore gran prix. You might see me up there someone though, I'm in ithaca, so I make it up to syracuse occasionally.
Ok, now I understand. If you're interested in experimenting with that PCIIIr, I think your efforts will be rewarded, even before a dyno.
Like I said earlier, I just went thru all this, I think between my recent experience, and others on this board, you can get it properly installed. I would start with the proper map selection from DynoJets site. If that smooths out your bike a little better than it already is (believe me, you will be able to tell just by the seat of your pants), then you're good till you get to a reputable dyno. Or you can try the Kyle map. Either one of those will be a little better fuel map for your sato's and your engine will thank you!

I would remove the PC entirely and examine the harness very carefully. If it seems ok, re-install it when you have the right serial cable, and access to PC's correct map. Then ride it a bit and see how it feels.

You can check the flapper, but it's a moot point here. Doesn't fit with what you clarified. Chances are pretty good that it's been done to your bike already.

And for the love of Pete, take good care of thse Sato's! :D Very rare, very cool, and very desirable!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
PC harness looks good so I'll give it a go starting with the kyle low sato map.

I don't have a laptop with serial, but I do have an old PC that is hooked up to my entertainment center that does have a serial port. My family room opens to a ground level deck so it seems like an obvious solution. Girlfriend does not agree... Maybe I'll try explaining the process to her again :)

About taking care of the exhausts, is there some maintenance that you're talking about or are you just saying not to lay it down?

Man this bike is quick... I've only got 150 miles on it so far and I'm being pretty careful with it, but it just makes me do a Tim Allen grunt every few minutes!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I forgot to ask- how can you tell this is an '02 front cowl?

Welcome to the group!!
It might be an '03, but it has an '02 front cowl installed.
The way to be sure is check the VIN number on the right frame spar.

At least the previous owner had taste. He installed a set of Sato low mounts on the bike. Those are about the primo slip-ons made with a great sound!
They also don't make them anymore. So take good care of them.

While it may have a PCIIIr, it might need a decent dyno map created for the bike.
It is looses power and possibly misfires at a certain rev range, that's a sign it's running too lean.
The best method is to put the bike on a dyno and get it mapped rather than downloading some map that might not match your bike perfectly.
It might be in the ballpark, but ideal.

·
Premium Member
364 Posts
I sent Dan Kyle the info on what has been done to my bike and he sent me a map via email, have had no problems with the map but I will probably be dyno'ing in the spring.

·
Registered
8,655 Posts
I sent Dan Kyle the info on what has been done to my bike and he sent me a map via email, have had no problems with the map but I will probably be dyno'ing in the spring.
Im lost. On what has to be done? How much was that map?

·
Premium Member
364 Posts
what upgrades were done and i bought the pipes from him i got it for free.

·
Registered
8,655 Posts
PC harness looks good so I'll give it a go starting with the kyle low sato map.

I don't have a laptop with serial, but I do have an old PC that is hooked up to my entertainment center that does have a serial port. My family room opens to a ground level deck so it seems like an obvious solution. Girlfriend does not agree... Maybe I'll try explaining the process to her again :)

About taking care of the exhausts, is there some maintenance that you're talking about or are you just saying not to lay it down?

Man this bike is quick... I've only got 150 miles on it so far and I'm being pretty careful with it, but it just makes me do a Tim Allen grunt every few minutes!
How's it coming? Did you get to hook it up?
About the exhaust, just saying they're coveted and rare!
Funny, I remember the Tim Allen grunt sounding more like Scoooby Doo :D

what upgrades were done and i bought the pipes from him i got it for free.
Now I got it!
I once was lost, now I am found
was blind, but now I see :D

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I haven't had time to install the PC and load the map. That's not really such a bad thing because I've been able to spend more time riding instead. Maybe this weekend if I have time after maintaining other vehicles... In the back of my mind I'm thinking of how much I'll regret if I mess anything up and lose any time riding. I guess I should be able to load a null map as my worst case scenario.

·
Premium Member
1,904 Posts
Welcome G-lenn, hope you get your mapping sorted.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts