RC51 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. I currently ride a CB1000R and I am looking at a '02 RC. By chance is there a place here of stock RC and a list of mechanical and cosmetic changes each year. I would like to understand if the bike has been changed in any way.
Can't wait for the sound!!!!

·
Registered
606 Posts
Welcome! If you have a pic I'd go ahead and post it. People here will be able to pick out the mods on the bike right quick!

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Welcome aboard. :)

Yes, pics or GTFO ! :D j/k

I thought we (someone from the msg board?) had a list of "what to look for" in a past thread/FAQ or perhaps it was just a list I read while searching past threads here or poking around online over at speedzilla, rc51.org or on wikipedia...

...in any event, if you ask around on the board you will surely get help with having the differences amongst the model years pointed out to you, etc.

Oh, and don't let these guys fool you into thinking that 2003 was the fastest model year - everyone knows that honor belongs to the 2006s. :) :D :cool:

·
Premium Member
1,904 Posts
Most of the differences are subtle once you get past the differences between the SP1 and SP2. Wing logo, rear cowl etc.

Oh and Cobra's oh so wrong, '03 rules for sure (I couldn't find a '05 or '06 when I had the buy for one)

·
Premium Member
4,617 Posts
Welcome. There are subtle differences in styling between each year and differences again between models of different markets (EU & US).
Obtain good pictures from the seller and after having 10 posts you can put pics up (This is a measure that was taken to stop spammers posting on this forum and it works, but is a necessary evil).

We'll be able to tell you things about the bike you have in mind; the better the detail in pics, the more info we can see & share with you.

·
Premium Member
4,617 Posts
A few thoughts, although I don't know U.S. models as well as E.U. so others will be able to give better advice.

Tail and number board don't have original finish.
Endurance style tank - who made it, what is the material and does it leak (Especially when the tank is full to the brim)? Limits what airboxes you can use if considering such an upgrade in future.
SP-2 decal isn't original. Looks odd. Are body panels original or Chinese?
What is the V-cowl's condition like and is there one? Also black plastic panel under the headlight?
Cracks on the top fairing?
Dan Kyle sticker usually indicates rear shock or linkage upgrade. Shock is original now, is the link an upgrade, or original?
Looks like some rattle can paint on the front fender and the side panels will have large holes cut in them, so they fit over the crash bungs. General chips on swing arm, wheels, etc.
What modifications are on it? Does it have a Power Commander for those Leo Vince Exhausts?
Corrosion on fittings, exhaust, etc? Leaks in forks?
It's been down at some point, hence the not so original bodywork, I suspect. What marks are left from when it was down? Check: Bar ends, mirror scratches, possible wheel damage, lock stops, seat subframe, exhausts, fork ends, if radiators are dented, etc. Also check wiring for seat cowl, it's often a rat's nest when there's a hastily fitted undertail.

Doesn't look like a particularly pampered bike, but could be made good if the essential basics are there. Depends if you have the time, attention and dedication + cash to pay to put it right or want something better to start with which may cost a bit but not a lot more... Think with your head, not your heart when choosing a bike you want to have for a long time.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Wow thank you for the schooling. This is exactly what I needed to hear. The bike is Canadian so I am not sure if that makes some of the differences legit or not.

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
The black plate stickers on the front and rear look original to me, though the original decals associated with them are long gone as no SP2 was ever put on the NA RC51, including canada.

The bodywork looks original (minus the decal differences noted), but the tank does not look original (as noted by Stig). The seat is aftermarket, and there is an aftermarket undertail. The rest of Stig's input is in the ballpark imo.

Google for 2002 pictures. Some for example.
2002 Honda RC51 | Sport Rider
2002 Honda RVT 1000 R / RC 51 pictures

The bike is far from mint original, but probably similar to the average used RC51 in condition, as an 02 is over 13 years old now.

If you want clean, excellent condition and near original, it is far cheaper to pay extra to get a clean bike than it is to clean up a bike. $2k for bodywork alone, plus a tank, plus original undertray/fender, the costs go on and on and add up.

·
Super Moderator
6,485 Posts
2002 (SP-2) RC51 N.America (graphics same from 2000-2002)

2003 RC51 N.America

2004 RC51 N.America (Nicky Hayden replica)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts