RC51 Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, My name is Alex, and I'm from NJ. I currently ride a 2003 zzr600 and have an awesome GTO that I love. Ive been drooling over the RC for a few years now, and hoping to add one to the collection soon.. My plan is to have it as a secondary commuter (2 times a week - 30 miles round trip) and a weekend warrior on the twisties and the track.. Can't wait to get my hands on that sweet twin!!

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
where in Jersey. i was in Bergen and passiac for 14 years
cliffside park, bergen county.

Did you guys have other bikes before? and how was your experience changing over from an I4 bike over to a twin?

·
Registered
502 Posts
2 completely different animals!
If you want fast fast fast, an inline 4 is where to stay! If you want something all around good on straights and twisties, but is slightly down on power, (compared to "modern" I4's), get the RC! Don't get the RC thinking your going to whoop everyones ass on the street. It won't happen! They are great bikes, if you know what you've got! Not the most refined bike. Like all bikes, they have their quirks!

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
2 completely different animals!
If you want fast fast fast, an inline 4 is where to stay! If you want something all around good on straights and twisties, but is slightly down on power, (compared to "modern" I4's), get the RC! Don't get the RC thinking your going to whoop everyones ass on the street. It won't happen! They are great bikes, if you know what you've got! Not the most refined bike. Like all bikes, they have their quirks!
I honestly like to keep my rpms down and work the torque curve, i like to feel a good pull from low rpms and have usable power. Correct me if i am wrong, but i feel like the RC will have more torque in the 3000 - 7000 range then the I4? I'm by no means an expert on bikes, i was very much into cars, and in the past few years got into bikes.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You got it! RC is very torquey in the 5000-9000rpm range!
I know its a personal preference, but how would you compare the cbr to the rc? power, delivery, fit and finish... etc. Thanks in advance

·
Registered
502 Posts
Power, seems down on power. But it is a very different power!
Delivery, power comes on earlier than CBR and runs all the way to redline!
Sometimes I don't realize how fast I'm going until I look at the speedo! It's that smooth!
Both bikes are smooth in their own way!
Fit and Finish, the RC body work is put together very very nicely and the way it should be! The CBR is a damn jigsaw puzzle to get all the fairings off! Ease of oil changes is equal. I pull both fairings off as a complete unit on the RC. Easy!! The CBR, I just pull the lower fairing on the right side! Easy also! Both bikes the fit and finish is very good!

I can change the oil on my CBR and RC51 faster than I can change the oil on my friends 06 Busa or his wifes 08 Busa!

·
Registered
131 Posts
Take a ride up to Massachusetts and take mine away for $4k... You won't find a better deal anywhere. ;)

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Take a ride up to Massachusetts and take mine away for $4k... You won't find a better deal anywhere. ;)
Thanks for the offer, and i am not against driving for a few hours, but i'd like to get my hands on a SP-2 03+ if i can..

Its good to hear that the RC is built well and is not a jigsaw to dissasemble as i will be doing most of the work myself..

Are there any major issues I should be looking for, any pointers about what to stay away from?

·
Registered
131 Posts
The only thing on mine that is from 2000 is the frame. Everything else (motor,swingarm,plastics ect) is from a 2003. ;)
The 2003 had a salvage title, so the P/O bought a 2000 frame and swapped it all over. :D

·
Premium Member
6,495 Posts
I think you'll like the RC51's throttle response over the CBR's.
Due to the two big pistons over the 4 smaller ones, you roll the throttle on at practically any RPM and it just digs and goes.
I have '05 Busa and a '08 FZ1, and while the Busa is far faster, and the FZ1 is great for around town and casual cruising, my RC51 puts a bigger smile on my face.
The RC51 is an old school bike. Not the electric motor smooth, light as a feather, transformers style bike like today.
The RC51 belches, farts, jiggles, whines (the best part), vibrates, and roars. But it's built like a tank and has character.
A fellow rider friend of mine just sold his CBR600 F4 and bought an '03 RC51.
From his comments, he's giddy as a schoolgirl when riding his.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I think you'll like the RC51's throttle response over the CBR's.
Due to the two big pistons over the 4 smaller ones, you roll the throttle on at practically any RPM and it just digs and goes.
I have '05 Busa and a '08 FZ1, and while the Busa is far faster, and the FZ1 is great for around town and casual cruising, my RC51 puts a bigger smile on my face.
The RC51 is an old school bike. Not the electric motor smooth, light as a feather, transformers style bike like today.
The RC51 belches, farts, jiggles, whines (the best part), vibrates, and roars. But it's built like a tank and has character.
A fellow rider friend of mine just sold his CBR600 F4 and bought an '03 RC51.
From his comments,
he's giddy as a schoolgirl when riding his
Same here!

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hey I have an 05 in great shape with low miles and live in New Brunswick. Thinking about selling it...

hmm, that sounds very interesting.. could you pm me with some details and pricing of course..

does your screenname suggest youre into mma?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts