RC51 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all. Just got an '02 RC 51 today. I've been wanting this bike for years. I used to ride along side of a buddy who had one and fell in love with the sound. I've had Harley's and most recently had an '06 and '08 CBR 1000.

I bought the '02 with 3,300 miles and basically stock. It has a 2 bros exhaust, and a brand new hotbodies undertail still in the package. I am planning to keep it mostly stock. I'm going to add proton flush mounts and am thinking about mounting up the undertail. I'm not a big fan of the hotbodies stuff. I hate the thought of hacking up the stock fender and having a crappy fit. Looking forward to catching up on all things RVT!

·
Registered
8,655 Posts
Welcome RedRockit. Might I say Score! bout time for it's second oil change, huh?
The beauty of these bikes is they are awesome right out of the box. And they just keep getting better with upgrades.
If you do nothing else, Power Commander. Don't even ask, just search those two words on this forum, you'll see.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I agree score. I might look for a used Power Commander at some point. I had one on my '06 CBR, but it really needed a proper tuning. First thing though, protons and rubber!

·
Premium Member
6,479 Posts
Welcome aboard!

The Proton front signals are pretty nice. I have them myself.
To make the install easier, look for a wiring kit that has Honda OEM style connectors.
Then you wire the Protons to the kit connectors and they just click into place. No muss, no fuss.
I can't offhand remember the brand, but I found them at Cycle Gear.

For the Hotbodies undertail, don't follow their instructions and chop off the fender past the battery box.
That totally screws up the undertail fitment and causes the undertail to flap in the breeze.

Instead, trim the fender in a square 'U', thus keeping the rear fender support and relay mount posts.
Search on the site and you'll find some photos I posted on how I did mine.

I also used some scrap from the removed fender portion to fabricate some additional support tabs to further support the undertail.

That baby is solidly mounted now.
If you need more photos, let me know.

·
Registered
8,655 Posts
Those protons a tough! I was at DMV last Sunday when they were closed, and out back they have the slalomn and circle course you have to do to pass the CA M1. I was doing it just for fun when I slipped off the edge, front tire dropped down into some gravel (cause that's where I was looking-dooohhh) and I very slowly tipped over. the proton had a good bit of black on it where it hit the pavement. Just cleaned it off with citrus oil and I swear, you cant tell. The fairing, well, you can tell.
Viva la Proton!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks a lot guys. I've searched Sub Sailors posts and appreciate the tips. I haven't taken the tail apart to look it over yet, but I will be sure to follow your advise as I don't want to cut it up and then have to use silicone and zip ties to secure it. I wish Rizoma made a carbon fiber tail for this bike. Their stuff is great and I didn't have to cut my tail to fit it.

·
Premium Member
6,479 Posts
Thanks a lot guys. I've searched Sub Sailors posts and appreciate the tips. I haven't taken the tail apart to look it over yet, but I will be sure to follow your advise as I don't want to cut it up and then have to use silicone and zip ties to secure it. I wish Rizoma made a carbon fiber tail for this bike. Their stuff is great and I didn't have to cut my tail to fit it.
I wish Tyga made an undertail with bright LEDs (HINT!!)

·
Premium Member
3,185 Posts
congrats on the buy. Post up some pics of it. welcome to the forum.

·
Premium Member
566 Posts
Congrats on the purchase and welcome to the forum from the Midwest :)

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've decided not to use the hotbodies undertail. I don't want to compromise the trunk space or locking mechanism. I'm thinking integrated tail light and cleaning up the mudflap and turn signals. If anyone has any suggestions and/ or pics, feel free to reply! Thanks

1 - 11 of 11 Posts