RC51 Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I recently joined and made a post on the FB group but I find posts there get buried easily and are impossible to search for discreet topics. So, as a cross-post, I recently picked up this 2001 SP1 with approximately 15k miles. It has a nice set of OEM plastics that have been repainted, a clear title, but no key, ECU, or rear wiring harness (more on this later). I am looking to restore it to its previous, PO glory and I've already ordered a used ECU/wiring harness and will be taking it to a locksmith for a key. So far I am into this project a whopping $700.

I'm definitely going to need some help in reassembling it and figuring out what I have here. I noticed it has an SP2 swingarm, an aftermarket left radiator, and some definite patina from being dropped. Mercifully, the OEM plastics don't have any obvious signs of repair and the tank appears to be bondo-free (at least thick bondo after testing with a magnet).

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was able to make some progress yesterday. My replacement ECU and wiring harness turned up yesterday and I had a locksmith cut a key for it after wrestling the yoke off. The seller wasn't sure how many miles were on it, he estimated 15-25k. With they key on it revealed this:

I'm not sure if the mileage on these is stored on the ECU or the cluster but if that's actual mileage I guess I need to do some more due diligence and inspect valve health (clearances and seals). The clip ons and MCs/levers are all going in the bin. I have a few left over Brembo and Nissin MCs from other projects that will swap right on.
I mocked up a pair of carbon/Ti cans I had left over from a different project. They're 60mm inlet and will require an adapter to match the 55mm yoshi mid pipes. They're considerably lighter/smaller than the yoshis. I'll have those made and I'm thinking I will send the pipes out for blasting and cerakote.

The tank had a small amount of rust from sitting so I dispatched it for professional treatment and epoxy lining to preserve it. The airbox was incorrectly installed and leaking but the valves were all dry and clean.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Mileage is stored on the cluster as I had to change one on mine as it was damaged and changed it for a US spec cluster one from someone on this forum to which the mileage was slightly higher than my original cluster.

looks like a good project 👍

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mileage is stored on the cluster as I had to change one on mine as it was damaged and changed it for a US spec cluster one from someone on this forum to which the mileage was slightly higher than my original cluster.

looks like a good project 👍
Ah, gotcha. The valvetrain certainly doesn't look like it has 40k miles on it but perhaps that's a function of good design and low RPM use!
Motor vehicle Gas Auto part Machine Rim

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I found a spare set of Mark's old clip-ons which appear to be a perfect fit for this bike. I also attached a Ducati Clutch MC and a Nissin radial 19mm. The valves were all surprisingly in spec. I have an HRC quick turn tube, Renthal soft diamonds, and a new pair of OEM switches enroute.
I'm going to hold off doing anything else/buying anymore parts until I confirm she runs well and all of the shift forks are intact!

·
Registered
215 Posts
Excellent work man , makes me feel like I'm slacking on my projects lol. Curious to see how those clip ons work with the cowl installed . I have the oem bars and controls on my 03 and think maybe Clip ons would be better suited since adjusting the Controls to my liking will likely cause things to come in contact with the cowl. They are angled too low at the moment and and are just not doing it for me . Had to go to using the outer fingers on my left hand rather than the one finger clutch I'm use to using.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Excellent work man , makes me feel like I'm slacking on my projects lol. Curious to see how those clip ons work with the cowl installed . I have the oem bars and controls on my 03 and think maybe Clip ons would be better suited since adjusting the Controls to my liking will likely cause things to come in contact with the cowl. They are angled too low at the moment and and are just not doing it for me . Had to go to using the outer fingers on my left hand rather than the one finger clutch I'm use to using.
I will definitely be tinkering with the alignment to make everything works. I prefer long, wide-angle clip-ons for leverage. I forgot to mention the purpose for this bike will be track use. We have a track day series here that doesn't allow bikes without lights (no dedicated track or race bikes of which I have a few) to participate!

·
Registered
215 Posts
Oh you're going to have a blast I just had the 03 at the track and it was fun not as fast as the newer bikes but feels amazing in corners. I went with a 55 rear and my forks are set at 15mm vs the stock 10. I'm about 6 ft 220 with gear and the front felt fine but the rear needs to be reworked and I'm maxed on the front so the suspension definitely needs upgrading for track use. I am at 15 front and 41 rear for gearing and may go to 42 rear. Definitely let us know what you think when you get it on track once again great work.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Oh you're going to have a blast I just had the 03 at the track and it was fun not as fast as the newer bikes but feels amazing in corners. I went with a 55 rear and my forks are set at 15mm vs the stock 10. I'm about 6 ft 220 with gear and the front felt fine but the rear needs to be reworked and I'm maxed on the front so the suspension definitely needs upgrading for track use. I am at 15 front and 41 rear for gearing and may go to 42 rear. Definitely let us know what you think when you get it on track once again great work.
Awesome, thanks for the insight! Yes, I will definitely be going with the linear rate linkage and completely reworking the forks since they need seals anyway. Interestingly the bushings still felt tight so I did a little homework looking back at previous registrations. The mileage on this bike jumped from 9k in March 2013 to 34k in December 2014 when it was sold. From there the mileage only increased by 2500-3000 per year until it was last registered in 2016. I'm guessing it was crashed sometime between 2013 and 2014 and a different cluster was used but who knows.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
I have a mountain of parts to install on this bike, so I'm starting out with the worst

I also used Brake Crafters kits for all of the calipers and slave. The slave had some light scoring in the cylinder so it may not be usable. I'm using a Nissin 19mm radial MC for the brakes and a Brembo 15mm semi radial for the clutch.

I found a nice used set of Carrozzeria wheels with Braketech rotors that I will be replacing the chunky stockers with.

I'm still not 100% sure what to do with the suspension. The OEM bits look very tired, especially the shock. The forks feel like they have good bushings but need fork seals (I have a set of SKF seals and wipers for them). There's a local SP1 for sale with a set of ohlins forks and shock but a bad motor. Unfortunately those parts are also fairing tired looking as well. I'm trying to decide if I should just buy that bike, try to make 1 decent one, and keep a heap of spare on hand.....

·
Premium Member
2,004 Posts
Good to see you're getting into this baby right up to your elbows! Like the idea of the SP2 swinger too.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts