RC51 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Day before yesterday I sold my 03 buell xb12r and picked up an 03rc
With 10,400 miles on it. Pristine shape. Sato mids and low mount cans. Sato clipons. Ohlins rear shock. Power commander and double blinks wind screen.

Just had a few questions. It seems my speedometer reads high by about 10%
I had my gf ride next to me at 80 and mine read out 88mph The bike has stock gearing and a 190 rear tire. Wonder what the best way to fix this. If it can be done with a speedo healer. Or another product and if u guys have any recommendations.

Also I've noticed a burning rubber smell coming from the front head light.
No burning or smoking just a distinct burnt rubber smell.. ????

Other than that the bike is badass and I'm super stoked to finnaly have one of these awsome machines. I think it's verry safe to say I've exited reality and entered rc51-derland
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,663 Posts
Welcome to the forum, and congrats on your score.
I think your speedo could be off that much, 10%, just from the factory. I've read posts around here indicating that.
you said your tire was a 190. What series, 50 or 55? OEM is 190/50, so if you're running a 190/55 that would add to the error.
Speedohealer will cure that.
Don't know about burning smell, it's nothing normal for sure.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,335 Posts
Also count the teeth on the sprockets, they may have been changed from OEM (16/40 I believe)

Take the nose (upper fairing) off to make sure there isn't anything rubbing or in contact burning on your radiators. The only other thing I can think of is the rubber boot is not seated properly around the head lamp and may be getting warm too.




Best of luck on your new ride.:cool:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,294 Posts
Definitely start poking around for the burning smell.

If the previous owner did a hack job with the wiring for aftermarket front turn signals, that could be a culprit (check it out ASAP before a fire breaks out).

Still running factory headlamps or are they aftermarket (HIDs? - if so, check the ballasts, they tend to get warm/hot and could be melting something if they are directly resting against plastic, etc).

G'luck troubleshooting...
 
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Top