RC51 Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

After picking up RC51 at the weekend I shall be taking it down for its MOT this week. It has a couple of issues which I need a bit of a heads up on before I do though.

Firstly the speedo doesn't work - before I go and change the sensor is this a common problem as I hear these are thumpy bikes and things can become loose or dislodged.

Second thing is the FI light has just come on - I have read that this could be just a loose wire to the battery which has come loose.

Hopefully once these are sorted and she is legal again I shall be taking her out for her first ride - If only it would stop bloody raining here in the UK!

Cheers,

Stu

·
Premium Member
6,495 Posts
The loss of the signal from the speedo sensor may be the cause of your FI light.
If you locate the service connector (under the rear cowl panel/passenger seat on SP1's and under the rider's seat on SP2's) and jumper, then turn on the ignition, you should get your stored FI codes.
A long blink is a 10 and short blinks are 1's.
If it shows an 11, it's the speedo sensor or wiring issue.
If you have a speedo-healer module, try disconnecting and reconnecting your OEM connector.
If the speedo sensor is bad, it's located at the right rear of the engine near the swingarm.
It's not that hard to replace.

·
Premium Member
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply - hadn't really thought about the speedo trigerring the FI light but I guess it makes sense.

I had a look at it last night and its just constantly flashing in short bursts rather than the long ones.

It still runs ok - just no speedo.

My first run will be tomorrow morning down for the MOT - the tester is exited to get his hands on it as we don't see many of these over here in the UK.

Thanks again,

Stu

·
Premium Member
6,495 Posts
If the code doesn't exceed 10, then the long blink doesn't occur.
Count the number of consecutive short blinks.
Remember there is a pause between two or more code groups.
Also remember that the ECU stores all fault codes discovered until cleared.
So if your bike has a code now and is corrected, it will still show up in the future if checked. This could lead to false diagnosis,

·
Registered
139 Posts
seems as though subsailor has your answers... but congrats on your bike, and that is a sick helmet in your avatar.

·
Premium Member
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Glad you like the helmet - its black now with blue fire all over it, to match my leathers and boots (yes I look like a power ranger) lol

Couple new probs have developed but I'm wondeirng if these are one and the same.

It started cutting out completely when on idle and moving at walking pace. Its like there is a short, whole display goes dead and then immediately switches back on and re-starts. This can happen once or a few times.

It hasnt done it on a run but I'm worried if the whole bike shuts off when im on a tight curve and a lorry is coming the other way im pretty stuffed!? :(

I'm thinkin a loose/broken wire maybe but took fairings off and its so tightly packed in I can't see anything.

Also - is there anything that will test the speedo sensor to check if that is working and its not just a worn wire somewhere?

Any help much appreciated.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts