RC51 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 149 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all.
So brief history from a London guy. I've been riding a long long time and have had a fair few bikes of all types. Getting less time these days and thought I cant do with out a bike so what could I get that I probably wouldnt lose too much money with and that is modern enough for me to enjoy riding and starting up after being left (reliable).

A few searches came up with SP2's RC51's. So I google searched pictures of some and low and behold I found a picture of one on a forum I use for cars. It was THE STIGS on here who I have known through the forum for some years.

I looked at that and googled (again) ones for sale in the UK and found one that seemed to have some quaility bits including durbahn air box.

I have ordered some magical racing parts with the help of Miguel and a new screen with a view to powder coat my alloys. Hoefully this wont increase their weight too much?

Lets see what bits you can see.......just in case I havent spotted something!

IMG_2906.jpg

IMG_2905.jpg

IMG_2907.jpg

IMG_2910.jpg

IMG_2902.jpg

·
Premium Member
3,237 Posts
Hi all.
So brief history from a London guy. I've been riding a long long time and have had a fair few bikes of all types. Getting less time these days and thought I cant do with out a bike so what could I get that I probably wouldnt lose too much money with and that is modern enough for me to enjoy riding and starting up after being left (reliable).

A few searches came up with SP2's RC51's. So I google searched pictures of some and low and behold I found a picture of one on a forum I use for cars. It was THE STIGS on here who I have known through the forum for some years.

I looked at that and googled (again) ones for sale in the UK and found one that seemed to have some quaility bits including durbahn air box.

I have ordered some magical racing parts with the help of Miguel and a new screen with a view to powder coat my alloys. Hoefully this wont increase their weight too much?

Lets see what bits you can see.......just in case I havent spotted something!

View attachment 51041

View attachment 51049

View attachment 51057

View attachment 51065

View attachment 51073

Nice bike you've found there Spwho....
If you know Miguel then you've already have a free pass to the SP2 world :D

Lots of bit on this....Brembo rotors on Marcesini wheels and an Ohlins FG322 front to match. Ohlins HO204 for rear suspension, Sato exhausts with Sato hangers and Sato rearsets (?).
If I'm not mistaken it has CBR1000RR blinkers like mine at the front. Yamaha blinkers on the rear I think.

All she need now is LOVE :rolleyes:

·
Banned
3,633 Posts
I see a billet Brembo master and Brembo rotors as well. I too was curious about the exhaust stays aluminum? Sato? Custom? Either way nice bits and welcome.

*After missing one of the pics I got a better look and saw they were Sato titanium stays...nice.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi guys

Thanks for the comments and MakisRC51 is pretty much on the money.

They are Sato rearsets and the hangers are Titanium sato I believe.
The bike has alot of ti bolts......maybe not enough yet though:)

I pulled another standard SP2 off its side stand and then this one and the difference was so significant. The small bits really do add up!

You might be right about the blinkers but I am changing those to more discrete items too as I just cant enjoy looking at the rear.

It has the sato full ti system, power commander with custom map, sealed rear tail box and round LED rear lights. (not sure where from)

Oh and forgot it has the HRC quick throttle...........not much else I can remember but I will be doing little bits to it............ slowly......I have a bad habit of doing things all at once way too quick sometimes.

Hope I can get some input on recommendations for styling and modifications from you all.

·
Premium Member
3,237 Posts
How about Power commander III USB? If it hasn't one, you definitely need to get one and have it properly tuned for those exhausts.
Speedohealer? Any changes on the final drive ratio? Still 16T front - 40T rear?

·
Premium Member
2,328 Posts
damn thats a good looking one!

·
Registered
608 Posts
Welcome to the group mate. How much did you pay for that beauty?

·
Premium Member
346 Posts
Welcome aboard fellow Englander.

Very nice looking machine you have there, with some very tasteful bits.

·
Premium Member
4,616 Posts
Hey Mel, good to see you on here. It's a great forum without any of the typical stupidity that occurs regularly elsewhere. Many of us here have made some good friends through this place. Some really decent people on here.

Glad to see you're happy with your SP2 so far, that looks a very nice example indeed. Good to see there was no skimping on quality of parts fitted. Like I said on e-mail - the sum of all parts were worth the investment. :) The seat & pad are custom items, and the tail cowl is a race item too, no idea of the brand though. I wonder if your seat was done with memory foam? Looks nice in suede. Thinking of having something similar done myself later this year.
BTW, is it you who is having some parts made by Pete at Ti64? He mentioned you'd been in touch so I put in a good word. ;)

You should take Dan up on his offer and meet with him and go for a ride sometime. His bike is very modified and lightweight (An SP1 IIRC). He's very knowledgeable too and has an interest in 2-stroke Saabs too (Since you like cars as well :p).

Check your gearing. Ideal for London & blasting around country lanes will be 15/42. You can go to a 520 chain if you want lower chain weight.

When it's time to fit a new rear tire, go for a 190/55R17 as the profile is better than std. size - although it makes the rear a tad taller - that only makes the bike nicer to flick between corners without any detriment. :)

Your carbon bits from MR (Mirror set with wide angle glass, front RCV211 style fender & instrument trim :)) are on order. They took around 4 weeks to deliver new fenders to me a few months back - I guess they don't keep this stuff in stock. Anyways, will post it to you when it comes in...

I think I already sent details of Watsen design indicators. Put it in your diary to order when they re-open (They close for months at a time, build up orders and then produce). I recommend getting some (female) connectors so your watsens will fit directly onto the original wiring without modification (Assuming it's still original). You'll need orange & blue.
http://www.easternbeaver.com/Main/Elec__Products/Connectors/050_Connectors/050_connectors.html

If you're tempted by beautiful exhausts - search for Carlos SP2 and see the HRC Ladybird on his now... lots of pics there. But I warn you, you'll want dome if you see them.
Simon would be the man for those, same details I sent you before. ;)

Having owned some very interesting bikes in the past it will be interested to hear how you find the SP2 to ride once the weather in UK warms up a bit, but also what you didn't like about the Aprilia & Ducati to make you decide to change...I'll bet your SP2 sounds awesome with the Durbahn airbox & those Satos. I suspect you'll like it. A lot. :)

Keep this bike, they're not going to depreciate any more. You'll find there's a lot of interest in these wherever you ride your's.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hi fellow Brits!

Dan I might take you up on that in the Summer as I generally head to Kent anyway.

Hi Miguel, the stupidity that goes on elsewhere? I wouldnt know what you mean!! :)

I am glad I bought it, and I paid a little over the odds, but when you're someone who modifies and changes things, its probably saved me money. Some just wouldn't understand that.

I've yet to go on a proper ride out and get a real feel for the bike, but so far so good and the noise is great fun. Its already custom mapped on a power commander, so will see how that feels when going through the rev range later.

Ha yes you got me! I mailed pete at ti64 and I'm on his list for later in the year for spindles and perhaps some bolts, but not sure what I need re: the bolts yet.

I've also sneakily ordered from watsens already as well, but thast will be it for a minute as I've got the car to work on too. Basically Miguel ... I should have asked to buy your bike first;) I quite like the Sato exhausts though so at least there is one major striking difference.

I wont be riding in town at all really but mainly Country roads etc, so 15/42 would still be best? NOt sure what I have at the minute to be honest but another thing to check.
Thanks for the update on the Magical racing parts as well.

So much to do as always!! Please dont get me started at looking at big changes Miguel, you'll get me in all sorts of trouble:D

I like all sorts of bikes to be honest and with the Aprilia race supermoto, that was just insane and great fun around Counrty roads.........totally different. My friend wanted it so bad that he sold his VDB version for my VDB replica as it was the better bike. So he has it now.
I dont miss the Ducati to be honest but my two favorite bikes of recent years would be the 2010 BMW S1000RR and the 2007 Aprilia 550 SXV race bike and perhaps my carbon 2007 BMW k1200R.

Onwards and upwards though with lots of updates in the future I hope.

Thanks for the welcome and thanks in advance for any advice/knowledge!

·
Premium Member
4,616 Posts
Hi Mel,

Nothing wrong with the Satos. They're some very good & desirable exhausts. :)

As for my bike? I've had it for over 8 years now and it'll never be for sale. I wouldn't want to swap it for any newer bikes. Sure, there are more powerful machines these days with ABS, etc. but I don't need anything quicker and I don't much like modern complicated electronics and such. If I ever go for something like that it'll be in addition to the SP, not as a replacement... ;)

Good to know you ordered the Watsens. Get the connectors I gave the link to above as well, so you're all set when the indicators come in. You'll need 2 - Position HB050 Connector (Female). As you'll have to buy $25 worth, get 5 of each colour. Will also need some specific sized crimping pliers (available from Ebay for around $15 USD), or a good bike workshop will have this tool anyways. BTW, I put universal Watsens on the rear cowl too, can't see them till they're switched on.

The Panigale you had was a very modern bike, but it was interesting to hear you didn't like it so much. Too highly strung, I guess. The large bores with short stroke mean not much torque. I hear many of today's bikes are too single minded for speed and so aren't as usable as they ought to be in the real world I guess.

15/42 will be fine for country roads too (It's what most on here use incl. myself).
As I had a spare rear sprocket I fitted 15/43 to Carlos' bike and that's also nice. It'll lift the front without much effort on the throttle when accelerating in lower gears. Chances are your's is already modified here as the standard gearing is too tall and won't even pull maximum revs at top speed. Just count it and see.

I don't think you'll be wanting many more modifications for your's.... but will be interesting to see how it develops. I'm pleased to hear my bike was an inspiration for you to get one too. Stick with it. It'll always be a desirable classic.

·
Premium Member
4,616 Posts
Ha yes you got me! I mailed pete at ti64 and I'm on his list for later in the year for spindles and perhaps some bolts, but not sure what I need re: the bolts yet.
You could start with front & rear spindles with a race drilled bolt for the front (40mm flange required for the Ohlins) and nut for the rear. And if you want, the swing arm spindle & assembly too. I got him to make me some swing arm bobbins too. I left a set of spindle assemblies with him so he's always got the measurements to make more for RC51's. Also just arranged to send him some rear link bolts so he can make me some in Ti64.
Pete's work is always a work of art. In the flesh it's much more beautiful.

I'm also about to get a batch of Ti64 shift knobs made by him too, incl. fitment for Skyline R32 & R33 GT-R's if you fancy one for your's. ;)

·
Registered
729 Posts
If you need a rear sprocket (520) in 42 or 43 teeth i have a few brand new Afam & JT alloy sprockets in a Marchesini fitment....

·
Premium Member
3,186 Posts
Man i am behind the times.....EVERYONE has full Ohlins forks now.

Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
729 Posts
I would love to do a blind testing of the same bike equipped with revalved stock forks and Ooohlins, not convinced i would be able to tell the difference

1 - 20 of 149 Posts