RC51 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been riding for 7 years. Been on various bikes but I've always wanted a 51!
Picked up a 2001 sp1 last night with 30k on the clock. Was qorried about the milbut the owner was a airplane mechanic and the bike was kept in the hanger. I feel pretty good aboutthe purchase and the bike handles just like i imagined it would. like a dream. Only bummer to my first ride was the cluster cut out but I figured that out, fuse blown.
Any other upstate New Yorkers, feel free to drop a line.

·
Registered
171 Posts
That looks friggin' brilliant. Probably a bit 'out there' for some, but I love it. I've never seen an Edwards done like that. Only ever seen a crap one in UK.

Do you know if it's a Honda release or aftermarket paint or aftermarket fairings?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's a replica of the bike Colin rode at Laguna Seca. The PO stripped it down and painted it and did a fantastic job on the paint and fairings. Decals are embossed UNDER the clearcoat. There some clear differences in both bike but it's very clean looking.

Attachments

·
Registered
171 Posts
^^^

Thanks for that. I always find it interesting to learn about 'specials'. There's always a couple that seem to come out of the woodwork! Yours is a truly great job.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you! She's definitely a head turner! I feel like I got her for a steal. The PO have 4 other bikes and he just wanted this one gone. I plain to gopro my next ride, got a few gremlins that are popping up. Only have one real good ride on her and it was a blast!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Very nice. I used to live out that way.

So far, I've logged just over 300 miles in the seat so far (stock seat, hard as a rock) I'm finding some good and bad things about the bike. The only bad is the seat position, being 9ver 6 feet. It get a tad tiring after 45 to an hour of riding, real riding.
Its handles amazingly in the corners where I live and just today I REALLY opened it up to WOT along the Hudson. I'm notbone to mess with the suspension but its a very stiff ride over road buckles but always has good contact after the fact. I would definitely be into upgrading the brake system into next season.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I probably put on the same mileage so far. I’m 5’10” and I feel the same about the seat. Like sitting on plywood lol. But the more I ride I tend to notice it less. The brakes are ok but yeah could definitely be upgraded. The torque and sound is addictive. And seeing other riders when I’m on it is funny. It’s like I’m on a unicorn lmao.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I'm 6'5'' and I'm fine with the seating position and I don't mind the seat either. When I ride twisties I'm moving around , if you just sit there and boringly roll down the road , any bike gets uncomfortable.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Agreed. I actually hot some decent twists and turns around my area and somegood mountain riding. Its just rolling through hamlets and towns.

I'm learning something new about this bike every time I ride it. It absolutely hates being inba higher gear then it needs to be. Also, anyone else get the half shift every once a while? I never realized how lightly I upshifted until I rode real miles on this bike. Ive rode Suzukis mostly and would do it from time to time. Would any of you recommend a shift shaft support?

·
Registered
171 Posts
. . . Also, anyone else get the half shift every once a while? I never realized how lightly I upshifted until I rode real miles on this bike. . .
Never struck me. Maybe I'm heavy footed.

Not telling you anything you've probably thought of, but would it help if you lowered the lever just a tad? Remember, we have the adjusting rod on these, so you don't even have to move down a whole notch on the spline.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That did occur to me, i just didt know if thst particular modification was worth $45. I suppose the cheapest option is the best option. Thank you for your input.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I've known a few guys on Fireblade forums who have gear shaft supports.Few say they make any difference. It could be just a placebo effect.

From a strict metallurgical and technological standpoint just how much flex is going to be evident in about three quarter of an inch piece of three-eighth shaft? I think they're more a case of smooth money spinners rather than smooth shifts!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts