RC51 Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up my '03 RC51 last Saturday. It was my father-in-law's. He passed away this past summer. It was his pride and joy. I rode it once and was very impressed. I didn't think I wanted a sportbike, but after riding it once I coudn't get it out of my mind. My wife's stepmother tried to sell it, but couldn't find a buyer. She eventually made me an offer that was hard to say no to. I did have to promise to let her ride it anytime she was visiting us in Southern California. We are up in Southern Coastal Oregon visiting family for the holidays. I haven't had a chance to ride it this trip, other than riding it from the consignment place back to the stepmother-in-law's house. If we get nice weather on Friday, my wife's stepmother wants to take the bikes out for a ride. We are heading back to Southern California early Saturday morning, with the bike.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. It's going to be tough this holiday. My wife and I both feel good knowing we have something of his that he loved so much. He made his wife promise she wouldn't sell it to any family. He was concerned that someone in the family might kill themselves on it. She knew I would appreicate it as much as he did and she wanted to be able to ride it every once in a while. So now she's parked in the garage next to my other two bikes (a '95 Kawasaki Vulcan 1500A and a '96 Suzuki Bandit 600). I just need to sort out the problem with the radiator fans and get to riding it.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Daris, sorry about your loss, and welcome. The RC51 is probably the safest handling, and most well sorted bike I've ever bought right out of the box. As in any bike, just don't ride over your head, you will love it, and I'm sure your father in law would be happy to see it cared for.

John

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks John, and thanks for the advice. I've had it out a couple time. I'm quickly getting a feel for the balance of the bike. I was able to take it for a 50 mile ride around the Oregon countryside last summer. It's interesting switching between the RC, a big cruiser and a 650 standard.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Daris,
In recent history, I own an '81 CBX, (owned) a 1998 VFR and 2000 CBR 929.
I've had a motorcycle license (any many bikes) since 1972. If I were to pick a bike for my 19 year old son to own (of sportbikes) I would pick the RC51. It is settled, and confidence inspiring to ride. My best friend has a beautiful 1200 mile CBR 954 which presently is sitting in my garage, my son wants it in the worst way, I told my buddy to tell him it's not for sale. An RC I told my son is OK, the power on a RC is very easy to control, the 4 bangers come on strong and hard, VERY QUICKLY! The RC's are just awesome bikes, they are just SO EASY to ride, no surprises, just even power and AMAZING handling. Once again, you've got a keeper, I wont sell mine EVER! It sits in the hallowed hall next to my CBX, another marvel of it's day.

John

1 - 7 of 7 Posts