RC51 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Surprise some of you cross-forum guys haven't posted anything about this.

http://www.fireblades.org/forums/honda-rc51/102901-new-production-runs-akrapovic-full-systems.html

The UK importer is thinking of getting a new production run of full Akrapovic exhaust in for the RC51. There is an opportunity for a US importer here to work together with them and thus have a smaller order size. Think anybody would be interested? Anybody know who can do this? Dan Kyle?

Maybe here? http://www.akrapovic.com/en/WhereToBuy/mcdealer/Pages/USA.aspx

I'll let someone else take the lead on this if there is interest. I already have a new exhaust.

·
Premium Member
4,561 Posts
I know all about it..... I am on the SP1/2 Enthusiast group on facebook....

I would think D.K would be one of the few who might do it....

·
Premium Member
2,010 Posts
People bitch about having to pay more than $400 for a set of Yoshimura pipes. I don't doubt there are a good number of people interested, but like the importer said, the cost scares away a lot of people.

The main problem is that the RC51 is aging, and the bikes are only getting cheaper. It is much easier to convince a guy to spend another $2k on an exhaust when he just spent $11k on his new bike. Try to convince the guy who just spent less than $4k on a bike with 15k miles on it to spend that kind of money.

I'm not saying it won't happen. I would just be surprised if it happened without the distributor investing a lot of money up front.

·
Premium Member
1,904 Posts
Have to agree with b.miller on this. I'd luv a full Ak exhaust or a Sato set. Damned if I'd be arsed into spending half the price (or more) of my bike for them though. Marchesini wheels, Ohlins upgrade, the listis endless...and still would have one bargain of a tricked out bike once done. Just can't get my head around it. Maybe it's me....:confused::eek:

·
Banned
3,636 Posts
Saw it awhile back...never posted because b.miller hit the nail on the head. People will hum and haw over the price, and if you did pay full pop and decided to sell and recoup some of your cash back people expect you to give it away.

My exhausts I have for sale are a prime example, I'm practically giving away the Yosh but people would rather buy a rashed up Jardine because it's cheap. So be it.

Almost tempted to say screw it and just hoard all my stuff and only sell to a very select few here as I've had too much time wasted by tire kickers...
Either you want it and are willing to pay for it or you don't simple...

·
Premium Member
2,010 Posts
Saw it awhile back...never posted because b.miller hit the nail on the head. People will hum and haw over the price, and if you did pay full pop and decided to sell and recoup some of your cash back people expect you to give it away.

My exhausts I have for sale are a prime example, I'm practically giving away the Yosh but people would rather buy a rashed up Jardine because it's cheap. So be it.

Almost tempted to say screw it and just hoard all my stuff and only sell to a very select few here as I've had too much time wasted by tire kickers...
Either you want it and are willing to pay for it or you don't simple...
Yeah, I had some jackass offer me $300 for a brand new $1500 suit today. When I told him I wouldn't be letting it go for anywhere near $300, he offered $400 :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Lots of good points which I agree with. Not everyone will pay, but a few will, and it won't take much on a small batch order.

Remember exhaust takes the first hit on a tip over. It is a much higher turnover piece on a bike than a shock, forks, etc.

I think if 10-15 sets of full systems came to the US, they'd sell.

First, there are almost no SP1 systems, so this would fit that market nicely.

2nd, some people like full systems, and there is almost nothing available in this arena. One does have the less expensive Hindle and the expensive ladybird HRC replica. Nothing in the middle.

There is a core group of people who want nice stuff. That is why sato's are commanding high used prices, Ladybirds are selling, etc.

·
Banned
3,636 Posts
Yeah, I had some jackass offer me $300 for a brand new $1500 suit today. When I told him I wouldn't be letting it go for anywhere near $300, he offered $400 :rolleyes:
I hear ya the suit you have is worth every penny...because I know my skin is worth a whole lot more than $1000.
Then there is the opposite people asking ridiculous money for rashed up crap like every single used Brembo master on fleabay is rashed and they knock off $50 off of the new price...or crashed, nasty sweated in one piece Alpinestars suits for $500??? No thanks.

I stand behind every thing I've ever sold or repaired for anyone, hell I sold a crap load of parts for my buddy on this site. He made about $4000 and I never saw, asked or even wanted a dime of it.

I did it for him to help him out and I did it for this site, that's why I never posted it on Speedzilla or even our local site because I wanted everyone here to get first crack.

I think I will just buy a project RC (I know where one is local for cheap)(and when I say cheap I mean almost too good to pass up) since I have enough stock and aftermarket bits to make another bike and a half...

I just may jump on the Akro's if there is a run...

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts

I'd be all over this also :)

·
Banned
3,636 Posts

I'd be all over this also :)
Have you done the math? 1475 British pounds is approximately $2300 Canadian...and just a few bucks cheaper in US funds.

I can get a project RC for a lot less than $2300 Canadian right now...a lot less and I have several exhausts to choose from that I can use. :)

·
Premium Member
586 Posts
I'd do it, loved the Akras....but I smell something else cookin and the Rock is not involved.

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Have you done the math? 1475 British pounds is approximately $2300 Canadian...and just a few bucks cheaper in US funds.

I can get a project RC for a lot less than $2300 Canadian right now...a lot less and I have several exhausts to choose from that I can use. :)
C'mon, you're experienced enough to know that UK always always pay a premium on their stuff. :):) The US price will be in line with historical prices. UK will as well, and it is always more.

·
Banned
3,636 Posts
C'mon, you're experienced enough to know that UK always always pay a premium on their stuff. The US price will be in line with historical prices. UK will as well, and it is always more.
Yes I do know this...but what are chances of it making our way? I'm going to say slim and none but you never know. I won't hold my breath though.

·
Premium Member
2,010 Posts
C'mon, you're experienced enough to know that UK always always pay a premium on their stuff. The US price will be in line with historical prices. UK will as well, and it is always more.
Wasn't the original price for the full systems right at $2k? I know a friend who bought one of the last titanium ones that had been sitting on the shelves for years, and that's what he paid.

Now, this all depends on the exhaust too. They didn't mention if the exhaust is the titanium or stainless version. I think the msrp for the ti system was around $2500, and the stainless was around $1800.

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hey Nobody, I forgot to add the smiley I wanted in my last post. It is there now, sadly late. lol

As for price, I'm probably wrong, but I thought they were around $1800 to $2000 for a full system.

I'd probably buy a full system for my 2nd or 3rd. My ladybirds would bolt fight up. :)

That's three systems with interest already.

I'd love the evo version personally too. No problem with the spendy.

·
Banned
3,636 Posts
Hey Nobody, I forgot to add the smiley I wanted in my last post. It is there now, sadly late. lol

As for price, I'm probably wrong, but I thought they were around $1800 to $2000 for a full system.

I'd probably buy a full system for my 2nd or 3rd. My ladybirds would bolt fight up. :)

That's three systems with interest already.

I'd love the evo version personally too. No problem with the spendy.
I have no problems with spending...as long as I get quality with my purchase.

But like said I won't hold my breath.

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts

·
Registered
863 Posts
People bitch about having to pay more than $400 for a set of Yoshimura pipes. I don't doubt there are a good number of people interested, but like the importer said, the cost scares away a lot of people.

The main problem is that the RC51 is aging, and the bikes are only getting cheaper. It is much easier to convince a guy to spend another $2k on an exhaust when he just spent $11k on his new bike. Try to convince the guy who just spent less than $4k on a bike with 15k miles on it to spend that kind of money.

I'm not saying it won't happen. I would just be surprised if it happened without the distributor investing a lot of money up front.
Well said.

While the Akra's would be perfect for my Castrol replica it's just not worth it IMO to lay down that kind of cash for exhaust when you can find running RC's for the same money. Plus if you ever sell you'll never get back what you put into it, everyone knows that. Sure there are plenty of folks out there that would buy them but they have more disposable cash than me :)

·
Premium Member
8,335 Posts
Wasn't the original price for the full systems right at $2k? I know a friend who bought one of the last titanium ones that had been sitting on the shelves for years, and that's what he paid.

Now, this all depends on the exhaust too. They didn't mention if the exhaust is the titanium or stainless version. I think the msrp for the ti system was around $2500, and the stainless was around $1800.
That's damn close to original....which is why with my first RC I used Erions.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts