RC51 Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here goes, first id like to say hello to all you lucky people that have been riding these bikes for a while. I upgraded from a 600RR after mine got hit on campus parking lot!!!

I just picked up this gem in the country from a craigslist ad. 2004 Nicky Haden ed. with 9000miles for $4800! super clean with k&n filter and D&D pipes. I ride it for 20miles to the bank to pay off the prev owners lien. Exhaust note and torque put a permanent smile on my face!!! :D :D :D

After all the paperwork was finalized, the battery is dead. Ok no biggie, so we push start it and off we go, another 20 miles of torque and blipping the throttle every chance i get.

When we get to his house, we shut it off and restart it immediately to see if the battery is charged. It starts right up.

Then i ask him to remount the tag horizontally bc it is vertical. he accidentally wired the tag lite wires together with e-tape. so when i start the bike the running lite fuse blows.

I didnt want to take the fairings off there to get to the fuse box so i i ride it home with no gauges/running lite. on my way to go get some lunch the gauges would intermittedly come on. after lunch the battery is dead, but this time it wont push start. it wont even turn over.

so i figure the battery is toast, and go to a local shop to charge one for me. when the battery is somewhat charged, i throw it on and the motor is turning over now, but wont start. so after trying to jump start it with cables and no luck, i figured out that now the fuel pump is not priming with the key on.

so now i have the rc in the patio get its battery charged by the tender, and i have no idea how this could have happened? did the tag lite short somehow short the fuel pump relay? thats the only thing that changed from perfectly functioning bike to garage ornament.

any ideas, sorry for the long post, but i wanted to be as detailed as possible so someone can give some needed advice so i can go riding!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
ok so i searched a bit, and tried the high beam relay in place of the fuel relay and the BAS relay. no luck. i even jumped the solid brown wire and blk/wht wire for the fuel relay and no priming.

Could the fuel pump itself be damaged by the tag lite short?

BTW no FI light comes on. im not great at diagnosing electrical probs. i guess its going to the stealership....

·
Registered
3 Posts
What happens right now when you try to start the bike? Without this information, here is a good place to start.

First, check all your fuses and any connections you can.
If you have a voltmeter-watch the voltage of the battery as you turn on the ignition. If it drops below 12volts DC, the battery could be bad.

A weak battery could cause a relay to not "throw" completely, and the relay will keep trying to throw-which will kill it. A properly working fuel pump relay will click once when the ignition is turned on in conjunction with the fuel pump running for a short time. It will then click off. The relay will click on and off once whether the fuel pump is connected or not. If you hear constant clicking, or none at all, when the ignition is turned on, either the relay is bad, or no current is getting to it.

It's a long story, but here is how I discovered a bad fuel pump relay.

I have an SP-1 with a small "race" battery. I replace the battery about once a year whether I'm having problems or not. I buy the inexpensive physical match from Wal-Mart for under $40. The Yuasa version is over $100 and doesn't work any better.

This habit of replacing the battery started after I had a similar problem. Let me say right now that it wasn't only the battery that was the problem.

One day I rode to my local bank-less than a mile. The bike had been sitting a few weeks, but it started right up. I go to leave the bank and the bike won't start-it was turning over, but I could tell the battery was weak. Also, I've come to notice that when the battery is weak, the trip odometer zeros when I try to start the bike-whether it starts or not. Same as disconnecting the battery for a second. A guy was in the parking lot and offered to help me push start it. We pushed it and it started for a second, but wouldn't keep running. We did this a few times-same thing.

I was close to home, and part of the trip was downhill, so I decided to push it home and try to bump start it rolling down the hill. I left the ignition on as an attempt to conserve battery by avoiding having the fuel pump prime every time I turned the ignition on. My lights were turned off by a separate switch-unrelated story.

Because I was expecting to have the bike start, and ride it home, I had my helmet on for the walk/push home.

The bike never started on the way home, even after many attempts to push start it.

Because I had my helmet on, and was out of breath from trying to push start it, I couldn't hear a clicking coming from under the seat. When I got home and removed my helmet, I could hear it. It was probably clicking the entire walk home.

I removed the seat and could hear one of the relays clicking. When I touched it, it was hot. After that, I charged the battery but couldn't get the fuel pump to prime when I turned the ignition on. And from that point on, if the ignition was on, that relay always clicked-constantly.

I like to buy spare stuff on ebay, so I had a spare wiring harness. I replaced the clicking relay with one from the other harness. It now clicks once and the fuel pump runs for a second or two when the ignition is turned on. It clicks again when the fuel pump stops.

I believe that because my battery was weak and I left it on for the walk home, it was trying to throw the relay and start the fuel pump. And that ruined that relay.

Another way to say it is the battery had enough juice to make the relay try to "throw", but when the fuel pump tried to start, it made the voltage drop to the point of causing the relay to "release" or "open". When the relay opened, the voltage increased(due to a lack of load) and the relay tried again, which caused a voltage drop... The clicking was this happening again and again-which ruined the relay.

Hope this helps. Sometimes the long version of a story has necessary details.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yeah thanks for all the details, i know exactly how you were feeling. but i solved the problem!

the prev owner installed a hotbodies undertail by himself and cut off the plastic shroud that supposed to mount the BAS, for what reason i do not know. So long story short, me and my buddies found the BAS lying on its "up" side, down. seems the prev owner :eek: HOT GLUED :eek: it to the sub frame just out of sight unless you take the entire tail fairing off. and just as i was test riding it it decided to get unglued and fall off the subframe.

what a careless mistake, i bet he didnt even know what it was and thought it was like a relay or something. if that sensor fell off while i was riding the wheel wouldve locked up and id be drinking my dinner with a straw.:mad:

So we mounted it on a custom aluminum bracket and it fired right up!!! ive been riding the damn thing since 3 in the afternoon! love this machine!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Glad to hear it.

If you are a good rider it will prove & exploit your skill to the world, if you are mediocre it will kick you in the teeth & laugh at you. It is purpose built for strafing curves, serious commuters or tourers need not apply. It can light a fire in your soul that is not fueled by adrenaline, but by passion & when you ride it nothing else matters except it, you & making the next turn.
RC51.org

·
Premium Member
6,495 Posts
Hey guys,
I'm new to the RC-51. What is the BAS?
The Bank Angle Sensor (aka the tip-over sensor).
It's a safety device that kills the fuel pump if the bike is laid over.
It's located at the lower left front part of the rear fender.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hmm, good to know! I've got a Hotbodies tail and I should check on this. I've not had any problems yet, but without doing the same type of mod as SubSailor did with his stock fender and Hotbodies tail many of my electronics are taped together lying in the back.

Based on the description Sub gives of the location of the BAS, it doesn't sound like that should even be affected by a Hotbodies install, though. ???

1 - 9 of 9 Posts