RC51 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi, I'm Brad, and I'm stationed in Camp Lejeune, NC. I've been riding for roughly 23 years, just a bit longer than I've served in the Marine Corps (22 years). I've bought and sold more than I should have, and I've lost track of my bike count, but I think I'm on #14 and #15. I started on a 1986 Honda VF500, great little bike. I currently have a 2000 Yamaha V-Max and a 2003 Honda RC51. I bought the RC51 back in September as a replacement for the 2006 Suzuki GSXR1000 I destroyed when I crashed at VIR (training, not racing) in August. I've only been able to ride the RC51 a few times, since I'm still recovering from crash (and the winter weather hasn't been great either). I was planning on making the RC51 a track-only bike, but the one I bought looks fresh from the showroom. The previous owner treated the bike like it was his favorite son, and it was stored in a spare bedroom in his house rather than a garage. Anyway, given the bike is so clean, I'm not sure I want to risk destruction on the track, so I'm not yet committed to the track bike transformation. I look forward to learning from the RC51 owners on the forums, and hopefully I'll be able to contribute once in a while myself. Speed safely! :)

Attachments

·
Registered
105 Posts
Welcome to the forum Brad!

·
Premium Member
6,480 Posts
Welcome to the group!!
I may be sentimental, but if the bike is as pristine as your say, it would be a shame to risk trashing it on the track.
Not only do they not make these things anymore, but the cost of locating/replacing parts will be a lot higher than say a Gixxer.
It would be far easier to buy another I-4 and track it. Then use the RC51 to ride on the street.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Welcome and congrats on the bike! Im in garner and ride with a buncha nc based riders. If your ever in the raleigh area feel free to hit me up.

·
Premium Member
2,697 Posts
Hey Brad, Welcome Aboard. I up on Cherry Point, Marine as well. There are not many nice roads to ride around here, only know of 1 or 2. We should get together for a ride this spring. I've met one other guy with a RC and seen a '02 (think it was) in Castrol colors on Lejeune last month. Wish you a speedy recovery.
Ride safe,
James

Hey if you're going to make a track toy out of her, I'd like to talk to you and work out a deal/trade for some ruffed up fairings. Mine are in good condition, just not "Cherry".

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I may be sentimental, but if the bike is as pristine as your say, it would be a shame to risk trashing it on the track. Not only do they not make these things anymore, but the cost of locating/replacing parts will be a lot higher than say a Gixxer. It would be far easier to buy another I-4 and track it. Then use the RC51 to ride on the street.
That is exactly what I was thinking. If I can find a track worthy 600 for a reasonable price, then I think this may be the way I'll go.

Hey Brad, Welcome Aboard. I up on Cherry Point, Marine as well. There are not many nice roads to ride around here, only know of 1 or 2. We should get together for a ride this spring.
I'll certainly keep this in mind. Hopefully I'll be fully fit to ride by the time the weather improves.

·
Premium Member
8,328 Posts
:DOh come on track the bike already....then sell off the parts left over.

That will just help make my baby worth just a little more.:D

·
Premium Member
2,697 Posts
Hey Brad,
I was doing my daily RC51 part shopping. Seen this, thought you might be interested. http://www.rc51parts.com/Product-Fiberglass-Bodywork_88.aspx I haven't dealt Ben yet, I have read good things and he has a couple items I've been eyeing. He has a lot and gets new stuff all the time. Hate to see a beautiful bike like yours get trashed on the track (or anywhere). But to each their own.

:DOh come on track the bike already....then sell off the parts left over.

That will just help make my baby worth just a little more.:D
Don’t mean to cannibalize your bike but...If it come to that i call dibs on the Satos...if thier left :D

·
Registered
198 Posts
Thank You

First off thanks for your service and enjoy the bike. Keep it on the street. Buy a cheaper bike for the track, and lighter. :D Hoovy

·
Premium Member
364 Posts
Welcome to the forum! Navy here out of West Virginia right now and i agree keep the rc street cause that baby looks too sweet! Do u know where the sato sticker on the pipes came from?? They look sweet along with the sargent seat :)

James

·
Premium Member
566 Posts
Welcome Brad, Air National Guard in Kansas here, keep that sweet looking bike on the street. Find a cheap I4 for the track............ from what i have seen at Heartland most guys enjoying doing track days with the RC but when it comes to racing they struggle plus the parts for the RC are getting hard to find performance parts.

The Sato sticker was their original sticker when they first started I believe.

·
Premium Member
3,186 Posts
welcome to the forum. sweet bike.

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
welcome to the forum. sweet bike.

How do you like your S1000RR, and how do you think it compares to the RC51 (if you bother comparing the two)? I got to ride the S1000RR when I did a two-day camp with California Superbike School. Seemed like a pretty solid bike, and very user friendly.

·
Premium Member
3,186 Posts
The s1000rr is a cool bike. i use it as a daily rider. its fun, VERY FAST, and handles like nothing else. its hard to compare the two, two diffrent classes ya know? they both have there strong points. Still prefer my twins over it though. crazy, huh? how did you like CSS? been dying to go.

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The s1000rr is a cool bike. i use it as a daily rider. its fun, VERY FAST, and handles like nothing else. its hard to compare the two, two diffrent classes ya know? they both have there strong points. Still prefer my twins over it though. crazy, huh? how did you like CSS? been dying to go.
No doubt that S1000RR is fast, but given how fast it is I was surprised at how smooth and easy it was to ride.

CSS 2-day camp was awesome. If I were rich I'd be doing them all the time :). CSS really is a phenomenal operation, and the experience is well worth the expense. I'm going to try to do some 1-day camps this summer, and maybe the CodeRace school (2-day race camp) in October as well. Unfortunately I still gotta get doctor's approval, and then wife's approval, before I can go forth... :eek:

·
Premium Member
3,186 Posts
Sounds awesome. Hopefully someday ill get to go. May be contacting you for more info if thats ok?

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Sounds awesome. Hopefully someday ill get to go. May be contacting you for more info if thats ok?
I'd be happy to tell you more. CSS is actually contracted with the Marine Corps to provide advanced rider skills training. It's not the same as their official school, but it's pretty close in some respects. Since I'm designated as one of the Marine Corps instructors for the program, I get to work with these guys when they come here to provide training. Anyway, PM me whenever and I can try to answer any questions.

·
Premium Member
3,186 Posts
LUCKY....wish the army would do that.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts