RC51 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,
New to the RC51 series of Honda, last bike was a 87 CBR600, that I wrenched, raced and road to work. Picked up a 2002 RC51 with 15K, been slowly working on it during this covid lock down.
It came with K&N filters, T-brothers I guess low mount slip-ons. It started and idled fine.
Add braided lines, removed the PAIR system per Rogue RC51 page, added COP mod, closed off the FLAP system, and added a PVC.
Finally got it out for a spin (title and registration delay because DMV is by appointment only 3 month wait).
Started with no issue before and after the mods, but never had to get it off the idle circuits, finally got out, and found that it wouldn't rev pass 5-6k under load, so ordered a FPR after reading through all the posts here (arriving 9/9, and also a fuel pump and filter (just in case).
Hopefully the FPR is the issue. I did disconnect the PVC and take it back to stock and same issue.

Going over it again, and found no loose connects or disconnect Vac/Air hoses.
Have it up on stands for this week, taking the wheels in to get some new tires installed. And replace the FPR first.

Hopefully I can get it out for a few runs before the weather turns for the year.

Em

·
Registered
245 Posts
what map are you running for the PCV? did you get the correct one off of the rogue website? could be your problem seeing i didnt see you talk about maps.

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Current map was off the DynoJet site for T-Brothers&Filters. With or without PVC same issue, so back to what’s common. Hence trying the FPR first and triple check all the connections as I am at it.

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Symptoms of a bad fpr are poor operation under high vacuum. It doesn't typically manifest in issues WOT

It's more likely to be a fuel delivery issue.
So most likely the fuel pump or filter? If not what would be the next area to check? Guess more reading is needed.

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
what map are you running for the PCV? did you get the correct one off of the rogue website? could be your problem seeing i didnt see you talk about maps.
Found the map files, downloaded them. Didn't see one for a Two Brothers low mount but will try them out.. I guess this is a little better than trying the get jetting right on a set of Kehin Flat slides.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
the exhaust manufacturer isn't very important, just make sure you get low mounts or high mounts etc.

but yeah, i'd be checking the fuel flow rate.

is the inside of the tank squeaky clean? you may need to clean up the whole fuel system if it's not.

it takes essentially no fuel to rev to redline in neutral, but a ton more to do it loaded, so if it revs and reacts fine without load, but can't put down any jam it's likely a fuel pressure (due to pump volume) issue.

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Tank internals look pretty clean, no rust or major crude visible from filler, fuel didn't smell bad or had crud when I had the tank off the first time and had to drain it.
I'll will know more once I pull the fuel pump assembly, wish I hadn't filled it up on the first outing.

·
Registered
67 Posts
There is a fuel flow inspection procedure in the manual. You may want to check it before going for a new pump as they are pricey.

Once you remove the fuel pump take a look at the fuel pickup. It sits down in the bottom of the tank and all the crud collects down there, especially if the bike has been sitting for a while. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
There is a fuel flow inspection procedure in the manual. You may want to check it before going for a new pump as they are pricey.

Once you remove the fuel pump take a look at the fuel pickup. It sits down in the bottom of the tank and all the crud collects down there, especially if the bike has been sitting for a while. Good luck.
Found the fuel flow rate inspection process will run that, thanks.
Yeah.. sticker shock, but I guess it the price of progress. Hopefully she'll be one happy pig once this is all figured out.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I understand. I know the price because I had to replace mine. The bike was sitting for a long while before I bought it with a half tank of gas. The tank interior and pump were in rough shape. I was able to clean out the tank but the pump was too far gone. The bummer is that you have to buy the whole assembly and cannot just replace parts that are bad.

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Update: Decided to skip testing and just check the filters and fuel pump considering it’s a 19years old.

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
I understand. I know the price because I had to replace mine. The bike was sitting for a long while before I bought it with a half tank of gas. The tank interior and pump were in rough shape. I was able to clean out the tank but the pump was too far gone. The bummer is that you have to buy the whole assembly and cannot just replace parts that are bad.
Taking the big ouchie.. replacing the whole assembly also considering the condition of the pump and crud I found.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts