RC51 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all. I just bought my 2002 RC in July ( with only 5k ) while I was in Afghanistan. Have been riding it as much as weather permits me here in NC. It has been a little adjustment for me to get used to the V twin. I love it. The bike had a PC II and slip on Two Brother pipes as well as a custom seat when I bought it.

Ive been searching for a nice clean looking untertail kit for it. Any suggestions. I want the lights to be good and bright as well as look good.

Ride safe and have fun.

·
Premium Member
6,481 Posts
Welcome to the group. I have an '02 as well.
What area in NC are you? I usually travel to the Raleigh area a few times a year.

As for undertails, there aren't that many to choose and I'm totally sure of the fit and finish of them all.
There's OPP, Rumble Concepts, Hotbodies, and a few others.

I myself have a Hotbodies undertail.
It's made from injection molded ABS and seems to fit better.
I tried a fiberglass UT from Bestem and the fit was abysmal.
The newer Hotbodies LEDs seem to be brighter than the older ones. Especially the brake LEDs which were pretty dim on the older UTs.
I think it looks pretty nice. Now if only more manufacturers would develop new UTs.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. Sweet yeah I love it. Im near the Greensboro area. Next time you come to NC let me know we will go for a ride. Ive been trying to find cycle clubs in this area. Im tired or riding solo all the time lol.

Yeah the hotbodies one is the one I was looking at. I just want to make sure that ppl can see my turn signals lol.

Im thinking of tearing down my bike and doing some custom work and paint. Take a break from the hot rod. I was thinking about a black on black with gloss and flat getting rid of all polished and stainless.

·
Premium Member
6,481 Posts
I know what you mean about the solo riding.
It was similar for myself for several years until a Ducati racer in the area opened a motorcycle themed cafe.
The guy has had incredibly varied past and racing bikes and operating a cafe is just his latest venture.
I now call that place my second home. All the other riders gather on race day to watch MotoGP or WSBK races on the wide-screen.

If you're ever in this area, look it up: http://www.fuelsrq.com/

Also a fellow I work with up in Cary just bought an '08 CBR1000RR and is dying to have me bring my RC51 up to ride.
So maybe next long-term trip up I may try to trailer the bike up.

Black goes with many different colors. Black and gold is very nice and also red.

·
Registered
863 Posts
Welcome. I went with an ebay version of the hotbodies for mine. Fit was just right. I just had to drill two small holes for mounting points. Lights are good during the day and great at night. Looks exactly like a hotbodies only $100 cheaper. At the time I had other more important mods to put that money towards + i'm not big on spending a ton of money on cosmetics.

·
Premium Member
6,481 Posts
Most of the undertail installation instructions have you cut the stock fender near the battery box, and then zip-tie all the relays to the sub-frame.

Instead, trim the stock fender along the sides and then front to form a U-shaped cutout, leaving the sides of the stock fender.

Then you can fit the undertail and still have the support of the fender sides and rear mounts keeping the relay mounts in place.
You can then use the front and rear part of the stock fender for additional mount points for the undertail to more firmly secure it in place.

It worked wonderfully for my install.

·
Registered
73 Posts
ditto on the hotbodies. mine fits like a glove. the integrated signals are fine as long as the sun isn't shining.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts