RC51 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Lads,
just went up to a 42 tooth rear sprocket on my 04 SP2 from a 40.
After setting chain slack at 25mm (existing old chain) I realise that when the chain break link came around on the rear sprocket that the slack in the chain would dissapear... After measuring the internal length of the normal links in the chain with a vernier (6mm) I came to realise that the chain break link was measuring out to 8mm in length. Obviously I have ordered a new chain......
Has anyone had a similar issue? It seems strange to me that one link would measure 30% longer internally than the rest of the links? Are EK chains reputable. Any suggestions in chain?
Thanks boys..

·
Registered
106 Posts
IMO 1 link would not make the difference between a slack and tight chain it is more likely that you simply have a goosed chain when you fit a new one get into the habit of very regular lubing with cleaning which will require less adjustment and have a longer life.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey guys thanks for the feedback, new chain getting fitted in the morning! Appreciate the comments.... Love n' respect to the Bostonians and America in dealing with this latest tragedy! God bless.

·
Premium Member
8,335 Posts
Hey guys thanks for the feedback, new chain getting fitted in the morning! Appreciate the comments.... Love n' respect to the Bostonians and America in dealing with this latest tragedy! God bless.
I have used the EK, DID and the RK chains, DID chains are rugged but the EK or RK do well also.

Thank you for your sentiment, it is appreciated.:cool:

·
Registered
8,663 Posts
So do I J.D. but it seems the wrong master was supplied to the O.P.:confused:
I see what you mean. I didn't catch that.
If your right, SP204's chain has probably been wearing the crap out of the sprockets. Seems like the chain would bunch up a little as it was loaded on the rotating sprocket, then snap the slack out as it comes back off. In theory..

SP204 - If you haven't already done so, inspect your front sprocket.
How did your old rear sprocket look compared to the new one?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey guys,
rear sprocket looks fine! I was surprised actually. However the thickness of the individual teeth on the original was finer than the teeth on the replacement so perhaps that is why it has now become an issue... anyways new chain in the morning and if need be new front sprocket!!! The commute worries me a little however... Ill take it easy that's for sure..

I see what you mean. I didn't catch that.
If your right, SP204's chain has probably been wearing the crap out of the sprockets. Seems like the chain would bunch up a little as it was loaded on the rotating sprocket, then snap the slack out as it comes back off. In theory..

SP204 - If you haven't already done so, inspect your front sprocket.
How did your old rear sprocket look compared to the new one?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts