RC51 Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi, just got a 2006 rc51. I'm too embarrassed to tell you how I got this bike. It wasn't what I was expecting when it showed up to my house but after cleaning it up, I started to fall in love with it. It's an R title with 13k miles but it runs flawlessly. It needs a few things. New rear brake pedal, right side fairing, and front nose fairing to have the body in perfect shape. Will be upgrading to the ladybird exhaust. Also getting a dark smoked screen and stock mirrors on it. I didn't realize how rare the OEM fairings are for this bike so I'll have to wait till I can find the right match. Any advice on the bike is well appreciated. I like the stock look so I don't plan on doing cheap fixes on the bike.

Wheel Tire Land vehicle Vehicle Fuel tank

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive tire

Wheel Tire Fuel tank Plant Vehicle

Wheel Tire Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive tire

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Sky

Wheel Tire Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive lighting

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Sky

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Congrats Rich,

Let me be the first to say welcome! Looks like she found the right owner.. I love these bikes!!

Thank you. I was with my friend 11 years ago when he bought this bike. He had moved to Connecticut 6 years ago and even prior to that, we lost touch. I've been contacting him about his bike for the past 4 months and he mislead me entirely to think it was a cbr 1000rr. Not to mention he layed it over (which he failed to mention) so there's 1 Crack in the side of the front nose fairing and minor scrapes in the right side fairing as well. Expecting a cbr and getting an extremely dirty rough looking rc51 was heartbreaking but now I just love this bike. I had someone offer me 4k for it and I only paid 3,500 but turned him down. Even though it's an R title, I look forward to restoring it to it's fullest potential.

·
Registered
2002 RC51
56 Posts
I'll be honest, you got a steal of a deal for 3500 bucks. Clean title I assume? Or by R title do you mean reconstructed/salvage?

The 05/06 black fairings are almost impossible to find, and $$$, but looks like you've got a great bike to get fixed back up.

My last bike was a 06 1000rr, and while it was just stupid fast, I enjoy my RC better.. I like the nostalgia

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'll be honest, you got a steal of a deal for 3500 bucks. Clean title I assume? Or by R title do you mean reconstructed/salvage?

The 05/06 black fairings are almost impossible to find, and $$$, but looks like you've got a great bike to get fixed back up.

My last bike was a 06 1000rr, and while it was just stupid fast, I enjoy my RC better.. I like the nostalgia
I couldn't find any fairings to match this bike yet. I presume I'll be searching for quite a while before I come across some decent ones. The title is reconstructed/salvage. I didn't really care because I knew it was purchased that way and ran great at the time and it still does.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Welcome, you are going to like it here. Cool forum and a must if you have one of these unique machines !!!!
Thank you! I do have some questions I need to search or ask about. I can't stand the mirrors on it so I bought some aftermarket stock looking ones. I'm guessing I'll have an issue with fitment since they're not oem. Also I need a new smoked screen. Prices are all over the place and I couldn't find reviews on any of them

·
Registered
2002 RC51
56 Posts
Thank you! I do have some questions I need to search or ask about. I can't stand the mirrors on it so I bought some aftermarket stock looking ones. I'm guessing I'll have an issue with fitment since they're not oem. Also I need a new smoked screen. Prices are all over the place and I couldn't find reviews on any of them

I've been in the process of maintenance, and restoring mine to her former glory for the last 2 months.

My screen was pretty oxidized, ron ayers, service honda, partzilla all have new ones for I think 20 or 25 bucks. I ended up sanding mine then repaint and it came out like new. I already had it apart for the flapper removal among other things..

I will say, even with discount honda oem parts getting her perfect hasn't been exactly cheap, and turned into going down the rabbit hole but soo worth it..

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I've been in the process of maintenance, and restoring mine to her former glory for the last 2 months.

My screen was pretty oxidized, ron ayers, service honda, partzilla all have new ones for I think 20 or 25 bucks. I ended up sanding mine then repaint and it came out like new. I already had it apart for the flapper removal among other things..

I will say, even with discount honda oem parts getting her perfect hasn't been exactly cheap, and turned into going down the rabbit hole but soo worth it..
I saw there was smoked screens ranging from 20-100 dollars. I ordered one for 25 on ebay but in this case, I'm feeling like "you get what you pay for" really comes in to play with anything that's not OEM. as for the fairings, I don't know what near mint condition would cost but I'd be willing to pay a good amount of money for ones in good condition. Hard to come by though which is why I'd even overpay. Good idea on removing the flapper. I looked into that as well and it's on my list if things to do.

·
Registered
2002 RC51
56 Posts
Man I misread your last post, I apologize. I thought you said snorkel screen, (intake) not smoked screen (windscreen). Yea oem are unobtainium.. lol

Mine had a aftermarket stock clear style. I took off the company decal, and bought the OEM red Honda decal for the RC and put that on. Looks 100% oem now.

I'll have to find the company, about 50 bucks but pleasantly surprised how nice (dang near oem quality) it was/is..

I'll post up if I can find it. I was going to order a spare just to have an extra..

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Man I misread your last post, I apologize. I thought you said snorkel screen, (intake) not smoked screen (windscreen). Yea oem are unobtainium.. lol

Mine had a aftermarket stock clear style. I took off the company decal, and bought the OEM red Honda decal for the RC and put that on. Looks 100% oem now.

I'll have to find the company, about 50 bucks but pleasantly surprised how nice (dang near oem quality) it was/is..

I'll post up if I can find it. I was going to order a spare just to have an extra..
Hahaha! After reading your post, I was wondering if you thought I meant something else. I never heard of sanding and painting a clear windscreen lol! Your bike looks very nice! I looked at the picture on your profile. Let me know how the flapper removal works out and how much you like it after. I work a lot and long hours at a jail so it's hard to find time to spend working on it.

·
Registered
2002 RC51
56 Posts
I hear ya.. sent you a message on that screen..

Yea she was in good shape, (pic was right after getting home) but needed some love. Was good to do the flapper and pair mods, got rid off all that mess, and deleted the dang emissions canister and solenoids after buying it realizing it was a Cali bike. Just picked up my new 49 state lower fairing stay today to get the dumb Cali bracket off.. its been fun to wrench on.. tires next then should be about done for some fall riding. I need to check my valve clearances this winter.. kinda sweating that one.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts