RC51 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys my name is ryan and i just bought a 2000 honda rc51 and after using it for 15 minutes i noticed that when im in neutral the bike is making a knocking/vibration noise that will go away the second I pull in the clutch then will come back as soon as i let it back out.Im not sure if its doing it when im riding because the bike is to loud to hear it.The bike seems to drive fine so not sure what it is.Any help would be awesome.

·
Premium Member
8,335 Posts
Check the oil for smell color....if it needs changed change it and inspect it close. Then come back.:cool:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I did an oil change right after i started hearing the noise. The oil was clean and smelt like oil. After i did it i only ran it for 30 seconds before putting it away and it was still making the noise

·
Premium Member
8,335 Posts
Check your idle speed too, Idle speed should be closer to 1300rpm at normal operating temp >180°. As the engine temp approaches 200° the idle will reach as high as 1500rpm perfectly normal.

·
Premium Member
4,617 Posts
Probably just the clutch plates rattling a bit especially at lower idle revs. When clutch is not pulled in, they can move laterally as they rotate. Part of all bike wet-clutch designs. Not dissimilar to the dry versions on Ducati, just quieter but not silent on wet clutched bikes.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The bike didnt make the noise when i first got it. I rode it around the neighborhood and also let it idle for 5 minutes and never heard the noise. Once i trailered it to my work and started riding it alittle before i did an oil change i heard the noise for the first time and as soon as i pulled in the clutch half way it stopped.

·
Premium Member
2,697 Posts
The bike didnt make the noise when i first got it. I rode it around the neighborhood and also let it idle for 5 minutes and never heard the noise. Once i trailered it to my work and started riding it alittle before i did an oil change i heard the noise for the first time and as soon as i pulled in the clutch half way it stopped.
John,
What kind of an answer you looking for? Stig told you what could be making the noise and why.

No one here can tell you for sure why it started just after buying the bike. Maybe there is a rattlesnake in your crankcase and gets pissed off when the bike is not moving :confused:or... Maybe the bike sat for a while before you went and looked at it and some oil sludge or buildup kept the plates from rattling, and after riding the it around for a while the sustenance was cleared from the plates and then allowed to move freely and in turn rattle.:rolleyes:

Inspecting the clutch, as Sub suggested, is the only way to know for sure what's going on.

James

·
Super Moderator
6,481 Posts
Outside possibility, it could be the gearbox.

Do you know how the bike was treated previously?
Stunted, raced, dragged, etc.?
Does the gearbox shift ok, or does it jump out of gear or hard to engage the next gear?

For all I know, you could have a bent shift fork that's allowing the outer edges of the gear dogs to be grazing each other.

It's difficult to diagnose noises and sounds from afar. Much like a doctor being asked to diagnose an illness when the symptom is "I feel bad".

No ill will intoned hear. It's just at present, it's just a lack of available information.
As more feedback is obtained, then the problem gets more clarified.

·
Premium Member
4,617 Posts
I notice a rattle from my clutch at idle from time to time too, which goes away when I pull in the clutch. It's done that for as long as I can remember. Been riding bikes long enough to know it's nothing for me to be concerned about.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts