RC51 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pick up a SP2 on wed . Ex Buell 1125R ,K2 gixer 1000 . Still have a TRX 850.
No mechanic , just a bloke who loves to ride .

·
Registered
91 Posts
Welcome buddy,

Where in Aus you from?

im located in a little place called Canberra. The Nations Capital. Maybe you have heard of it?

·
Premium Member
8,328 Posts
Okay Newby Poser....until you post pics you will be Newby Poser.:D

Welcome....what is June 29th like??? Does it suck as bad as the June 28th I am in now???

Sorry, my back is screwed and Mr. Vicodine came to see me this evening.:p

Ride Safe.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Newbie poser , newbie poser !!? , said in a life of Brian peoples judean front tone . Absolutely love it !! LOL . I still havn't got it yet . Chumping at the bit !!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Went in to look at it . Deal done . Pick it up on Friday .
Red and Black .
cbc steering damper
braided brake lines
underslung yoshi cans
power comander.
carbon tail tidy & tank protector .
inset indicators
20,000 kms (2005).
From Vic .( anybody on this forum ?) Sp aus member .
Metzler tires Z?
Owned by little 90yr old lady who used it to go do the local shopping only

·
Premium Member
3,186 Posts
Awesome, post up some pics when you get it. welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Got it , and it's pissing down !! Get the pics up when the weather clears .Red and black BTW . From the very little I've ridden it , it's the most purist MC I've ridden ever . Can't wait to give it some stick lol

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
From Adelaide . Mainly a weekend rider . Just an ol' fart (54 ) that like a spirited ride . Like a good yarn on MC's , but don't like to put a spanner on one.

·
Registered
8,655 Posts
Welcome sandmacker, I'm always a little intrigued by you aussies. Very colorful way of speaking.
I'll second your impression of the RC being the most pure motorcycle. I think that all the time too. Very machismo.

·
Premium Member
6,480 Posts
From Adelaide . Mainly a weekend rider . Just an ol' fart (54 ) that like a spirited ride . Like a good yarn on MC's , but don't like to put a spanner on one.
That's half the fun, working on 'em. :)

The main difference between muscle cars of the 60's vs cars today.

Back then it was easy to hop in the engine bay and adjust valves or tweak something.
Now you can't even find the engine without a phone call to NASA.
They're only made to be assembled, not to service.

(begin rant)
Like the genius who decided to use a timing belt, but didn't design the engine with belt replacement in mind.
So you have disassemble the car and engine to replace one stupid little belt.

My daughter had a late model Mercury Cougar (POS) that had a tendency to eat alternators.
To replace the alternator, you have to remove the right front suspension to pull the alternator through the wheel well. Great design there. :(
(end rant)

My old '72 Datsun 721 pickup had a double-row roller chain as a cam chain.
It was auto-tensioned by oil pressure from the gallery, and the tensioner had an oil jet that sprayed oil onto the chain.
Now THAT was a great design and utterly reliable. I never had to do anything to that chain.

That's why, when I look at the simplicity of spur gear drive cams over timing chains or belts, I go...Ahhhhhh. :)

·
Premium Member
3,186 Posts
That's half the fun, working on 'em. :)

The main difference between muscle cars of the 60's vs cars today.

Back then it was easy to hop in the engine bay and adjust valves or tweak something.
Now you can't even find the engine without a phone call to NASA.
They're only made to be assembled, not to service.

(begin rant)
Like the genius who decided to use a timing belt, but didn't design the engine with belt replacement in mind.
So you have disassemble the car and engine to replace one stupid little belt.

My daughter had a late model Mercury Cougar (POS) that had a tendency to eat alternators.
To replace the alternator, you have to remove the right front suspension to pull the alternator through the wheel well. Great design there. :(
(end rant)

My old '72 Datsun 721 pickup had a double-row roller chain as a cam chain.
It was auto-tensioned by oil pressure from the gallery, and the tensioner had an oil jet that sprayed oil onto the chain.
Now THAT was a great design and utterly reliable. I never had to do anything to that chain.

That's why, when I look at the simplicity of spur gear drive cams over timing chains or belts, I go...Ahhhhhh. :)
I agree, i had a 2000 Audi 1.8t A4....to change the belts you have to completely remove the front end....what a nightmare. Easy money for the dealer though, they know most people can't or are not willing to go through that trouble.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Took it out for the first time today . Will have to quieten it a tad .It's very loud , thundering loud . My impression ; Very easy to ride fast . Whilst I was no way 'pushing' , allowing myself to get familiar with it , I found it to be cornering at speeds I would take in dry conditions . The road had a good soaking the previous night and I was being cautious . Every thing is just so linear .No surprises in the braking (better than the Buell),and acceleration . It felt as solid as a rock . Didn't flick as easy as the Buell ,though I'm sure I can dial that in . At speeds of 120+ I thought the suspension worked nicely. I'm failing to understand how they say these boinger units are too much for the road . You have to work the bike to get results , but the results are brilliant . I can see this bike and I getting along very nicely . My two cents worth from a complete amatuer .
On the note of servicing . I remember this bloke saying you look for vehicles that are 'engineered' not manufactured . There can be no doubt the SP is one of the most beautifully crafted M/cycles around , especially that motor . From what I've read any way .
In some ways it could be said from the angle as a complete package , that Honda has created one of the most perfect motorcycles ever made .
Or am I being one eyed ?

·
Registered
8,655 Posts
It takes a while for the brain to absorb all those endorphins... :D
I feel that way pretty much every time I get off my RC.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts