RC51 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, i've got an 01 SP1 with no working headlights right now. They were working fine, however I broke my ankle and couldn't ride for a couple of months and then I noticed while riding that they had gone out. I don't have any brights or anything, but everything else on the bike is working fine. My battery had gotten too low the other night to be able to start the bike, but once it got like this, the lights started working again! I charged my battery today and the bike started right up, but now i'm back to no headlights. Anyone have any ideas? I find it odd that when the bike is getting enough power to start and run, the headlights won't work, but once the battery is low the lights start working again.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Verify it's Charging, start checking plugs and ground/ground bars. I know 600RR's have a plug near the front seat with a ground bar in a plug that causes issues.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No blown fuses that I can see, and what would i check to see if something is charging? The battery is fine, that was unplugged from the bike and charged separately, but once it had power the lights did not anymore. When I started it up this morning, I had lights until it turned over, then they cut out. I can't find any loose connections, and they don't seem to flash on or off during bumps or any riding.

·
Premium Member
3,239 Posts
Never test the validity of a fuse only by eye contact. It can be deceiving. Replace the 3rd fuse with a new one (just to be sure) counting like this:
1rst, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, diode.
Check the bulbs by powering each one directly from the battery using two pieces of wire.
Everything seems fine, but still no lights when you turn your key on?

Ok......On your own risk try this. (If anything blows up, it's something you did wrong. I know what I am instructing below).

Unplug your left lighting switch's, two plugs.
Switch on the key.
Take a piece of wire and short the next wires (look at the plug that DOES NOT have the Light Blue and Orange wires on it and is attached on the main harness. NOT the left handlebar's light swith's harness)
1) Black/Red stripe
2) Blue/White stripe
Your Lo beam (left) headlight should come on.
Let us know what happened.....

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'll just go ahead and replace the fuse for it, just to be sure, but I certainly don't feel like taking the switch apart and changing the wiring! and no, this bike does not have an on/off switch for the lights, just low/high. This bike has had some electrical issues since i've had it, the previous owner wrecked it and rigged everything back, so it's been one heck of a journey to find out each issue and try and fix it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts