RC51 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Bike has always ran fine no issues. Been parked 6 weeks, on battery tender, turned on ignition, fuel pump pressured system, pushed start button and only heard one "clik" from starter relay switch. Thed startern nothing, checked all the settings; neutral, side stand up, battery fully charged, run switch on, all fuses ok, WTH? Voltage at; battery, both 30A fuses, starter relay switch. Ground at battery, and starter relay switch.
All ideas welcome, I am not looking forward to ringing out the harnes!!!
willy
2000 #169

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
How old is the battery btw ?

It's possible that the battery might indicate a "good" 12 volts prior to hitting the starter but it isn't actually healthy enough to start the bike.

Got a spare battery handy that you can jump start the bike with by chance ? If not, try hooking up the terminals to your car's battery for a jump (but leave the car engine OFF/NOT running) when doing so...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
with ignition on, no lights, no horn, nothing. Separated plug/harness going to ignition switch, no voltage.
willy

·
Premium Member
4,616 Posts
There should be no live to an ignition switch, if an RC51 is like most older bikes... Try changing the battery. They can die after some years even if a battery tender is used...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have checked the battery, with a load tester. Unless I read the schematic wrong, there is + DC at the starter relay switch, + DC goes thru the 30A fuse via red wire to Ignition Switch to terminal Bat1. When the key is turned to ignition it connects + DC to the fuse box, fuse F (10A) to terminal Bat2 on starter switch(push button) when the button is pushed + DC goes to energize the starter relay switch. + DC then goes to starter motor.
PLEASE correct me if I have got lost some where?
willy

·
Registered
79 Posts
Battery. Change it. It's cheap. I bet that is the culprit. Yes, they will check ok on an autozone tester. But still be essentially dead.

·
Premium Member
346 Posts
Check your battery earth, and connections both ends (battery and Starter solenoid/engine earth), a bad connection will give your fault.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts