RC51 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
8,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
"Nobody likes to get sacked, but that's what happened, so, we'll just have to see what happens."
Nicky Hayden in a recent interview about his prospects for next year.
TBH, I hate seeing a quality rider like Hayden being stuck on a machine that's just not up to par - hell even the CRT bikes are getting better times.
I sure wish the best for Nicky Hayden, hope to see him stay in the spotlight somehow.

·
Registered
575 Posts
yes so true , i was at Laguna Seca 2005 on the Corkscrew after Nicky won the race he stopped at the corkscrew and did a big burn out , i was so proud of Nicky showed the world that day USA is back .

·
Premium Member
4,617 Posts
Yeah it was sad to see his contract with Ducati will end, but it's not entirely unexpected - he's been there a long time. I wonder who they have in mind as his replacement? Bradley Smith or Crutchlow perhaps?

Only Stoner could tame their beast...:D
Ducati really needs some capital investment from Audi (Which they apparently promised - but has it materialised?) and possibly a return to a conventional frame design. Meanwhile the gap in capability of machines continues to widen between them & the Japanese factory teams.

·
Registered
8,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hayden was saying the problem with the Ducati bikes now is the fact that they lost the freedom to choose different tires when it was ruled that Bridgestone was tho only tire. And the Team bikes have even more tire restrictions than the CRT bikes. Nickey also said that Ducati never could get the front-end squared away to be able to turn as good as the other GP bikes.

I have a feeling he'll leave MotoGP, he said he doesn't want a CRT bike to run around the track trying to get a point here or there. Hope WSBK picks him up.

And I sure the f hope Crutchlow gets a better offer than Ducati. Better money maybe, but he'd be better staying with Tech 3. imo.

And Stoner may be back 2014! I'd like to see him racing again.

·
Registered
447 Posts
I read an article where Nicky explained what happened to Duc. They were using a radically different frame than the Japaneese bikes and were tuning the bike through the custom tires that were available to them. Once GP went to the "Spec" tires, the tires chosen we the ones that worked best for the majority of the bikes on the paddock (not Duc). That left Duc with tires that did not work on their bike, and no easy means to tune the chassis for the tires (since they had previously been using the tires to tune the chassis). They have now redesigned the entire chassis and hope to convert to it next year. Recent tests have shown that the current chassis is still faster, although the new frame promises to have more potential to be tuned.

·
Premium Member
4,617 Posts
Crutchlow deserves a Yamaha (Or less likely) Honda factory ride, but there's no contracts about to end there yet? He'll probably be best off staying where he is till there is a better bike to ride. I'd love to see him on a factory Yamaha or even a Honda. He'd make a great personality as an ambassador for the sport if he ever became world champion. Lorenzo is so dry and witless I don't see him having many fans.

Would be great to see Stoner back, his talent was amazing - but somehow I don't think it'll happen... Not enough has changed to make him want to come back yet, surely?

·
Premium Member
4,617 Posts
It's diffictult to know with certainty what the problem is with Ducati's handling - but it does seem to point to the frame design where the engine is the main part of the structure. Less flex than the conventional chassis possibly means it's less forgiving on the limit.

Sure will be interesting to see - if Nicky does move to WSB with Ducati, as Simon suggests would be of importance for Audi...

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
You could see a number of things happen Cal could take Bradl's seat or even Bautista's Gresini spot , Ducati , and you never know Hayden could either take Bautista s seat or go with Suzuki. Then again there are rumors of Hayden on a Duc over in WSBK . He still has a lot to give and still gives a lot and is always on the short end . He may be better off getting on a competitive machine in SBK and be able to compete instead of running around in the middle of the pack in 6th - 8th position , and personally, I don't think he has it in him to keep up with the new up and coming breed . He might as well move on to a new stage and not stick around like Colin . Maybe Cal could tame the Ducati beast . Maybe just maybe Pedrosa wont take the title and Honda will slip Cal into that seat . Its going to be interesting , but I really think MotoGP needs an American in that series so maybe Dorna will step in. Hayden is liked in the US and Italy ....who knows maybe on a BMW in WSBK

·
Registered
8,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
CapeCodder, I don't see any advantage of Cal going with LCR Honda or Gresini. Those are factory Honda's, (infact, Bautista's Honda was originally meant for Simoncelli). but they're still satellite bikes. No different than his satellite Yamaha in terms of newest, latest, greatest, upgrades to the factory bikes. The Factory teams get them first, the satellite teams get what's left over. That's why I see no advantage of him getting on the satellite Hondas.

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
I understand the factory , satellite , and CRT catagorys I am just stating what I have read .

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
Cal could be a gem on the Ducati or a bowling ball in my opinion chucking himself down the track. Remember Melandri. Not that he was Cal . Not many guys have been able to ride in a Ducati seat except Stoner . I think Cal is that same kind of rider as Stoner but it would sure suck for him to get on a non competitive factory machine . He might be better off on a satellite competitive machine like his Tech 3. ( I doubt he will do that , just sayin )Tough call, Ducati will probably throw him some big money

·
Registered
55 Posts
NH to wsbk please...no more gp!!
AMA Championship winner moto gp Championship winner and just maybe wsbk champ!
That my friends greatest ever American roadracer.
I do not think there are even an US rider who has moto gp and wsbk?
Personally i think he still got it but if no good ride i really hope he is in wsbk and becomes first to take all Three big ones.(on a Honda)
BSB is in my eyes still a Little bit behind AMA but just a fraction after.

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
NH to wsbk please...no more gp!!
AMA Championship winner moto gp Championship winner and just maybe wsbk champ!
That my friends greatest ever American roadracer.
I do not think there are even an US rider who has moto gp and wsbk?
Personally i think he still got it but if no good ride i really hope he is in wsbk and becomes first to take all Three big ones.(on a Honda)
BSB is in my eyes still a Little bit behind AMA but just a fraction after.
I agree mr green . Hayden has a lot left and I bet he could do well @ wsbk

·
Premium Member
8,335 Posts
Maybe he will become less politically correct and tell the world what it already knows, Ducati's ride sucks ass and even with 5 more years of development it will be a turd.:D

Come on WSBK......:cool:

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
To win the world superbike championship along with his ama and motogp title would be bragging rights for life. Nobody else has done and even it would happen again he would be the first. Best American road racer of all time though? No fucking way. I love the guy and hope for the best for him but 3 wins in the premier class does not cut it. To be honest, he may have a tougher time than you think to take the Wsbk crown anyways

Sent from my SPH-L720

·
Premium Member
8,335 Posts
. Best American road racer of all time though? No fucking way. Sent from my SPH-L720
That is a tall order, even for Hayden....those things are era driven to me. The equipment changes alone are impressive.

He is a damn good racer on anything with two wheels, Rainey...Lawson, Schwantz are in the running too.

For me, Edwards was the man in his day.:cool:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts