RC51 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well had my 51 for 24 hrs now and after cleaning off the crud from a late post purchase monsoon ride home last night I checked levels and fired it to warm it up and have a listen with the baffles out of the Akros (jeez) :eek:
Well alarmingly I thought I could hear a bottom end knock :eek: I have real bad luck with bikes but hope I am wrong, I have not had a 51 before but had 3 800Fi's and a few Dukes. Noise seems to be coming from the front around the air intake area bit hard to place but it's a rumble :confused:

I really really hope I am wrong

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Well had my 51 for 24 hrs now and after cleaning off the crud from a late post purchase monsoon ride home last night I checked levels and fired it to warm it up and have a listen with the baffles out of the Akros (jeez) :eek:
Well alarmingly I thought I could hear a bottom end knock :eek: I have real bad luck with bikes but hope I am wrong, I have not had a 51 before but had 3 800Fi's and a few Dukes. Noise seems to be coming from the front around the air intake area bit hard to place but it's a rumble :confused:

I really really hope I am wrong
Snug-up your exhaust nuts...

·
Premium Member
4,617 Posts
Be sure it's not a slightly noisy clutch - pull the lever in. Does the noise disappear?
Leaking exhaust flanges are also more common at startup than later. On Carlos' project, even with a standard manifold I put in 2 front gaskets to get a good seal...

You might also want to check the valve clearances if they haven't been done yet.

They're usually pretty solid engines.

Might want to do an oil change (10W40 synthetic), how clean is the oil?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Be sure it's not a slightly noisy clutch - pull the lever in. Does the noise disappear? Tried and the clutch is very quiet, no sound at all
Leaking exhaust flanges are also more common at startup than later. On Carlos' project, even with a standard manifold I put in 2 front gaskets to get a good seal...- all original and standard headers

You might also want to check the valve clearances if they haven't been done yet. - had some big services over the years but will get it done.

They're usually pretty solid engines.

Might want to do an oil change (10W40 synthetic), how clean is the oil?
- serviced by a shop last week, oil is clear and spot on level..

Answers above Stig.
May take Friday off and run it down the local Honda shop for a check out, hope they will know but don't think they see many

1 - 5 of 5 Posts