RC51 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all! New to the forum. If you're in the gold country/sac valley/reno area, shoot me a message. Looking for fellow local rc riders to cruise with. Hit Sonoma or Thunderhill tracks from time to time. Lots of twisties in my area. Lets roll!

·
Registered
8,663 Posts
Welcome 530. I'm in Sacramento. Still a month away from my rebuild completion, but I've been riding this area for the last 10 years, 8 of them on my RC51. Haven't been to sonoma yet, might not. I've seen the track, rode in my buddy's Shelby for a session. Looks kind of hard for a motorcycle? I don't know.
Anyway, hope to see you around.
Us NorCal guys need to organize an epic ride for next summer, hopefully the whole northern half of the state won't be on fire.

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
Jon go ride Sonoma! Aside from the track crumbling apart at the seams it is an absolute blast on a motorcycle. Great rollercoaster for a trackday and you don't have to even ride that hard to have a great time as it is more about finesse than hp. I rarely get above 9500rpm just cruising in the fun zone and I giggle the entire time. Definitely my favorite track in California

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Welcome 530. I'm in Sacramento. Still a month away from my rebuild completion, but I've been riding this area for the last 10 years, 8 of them on my RC51. Haven't been to sonoma yet, might not. I've seen the track, rode in my buddy's Shelby for a session. Looks kind of hard for a motorcycle? I don't know.
Anyway, hope to see you around.
Us NorCal guys need to organize an epic ride for next summer, hopefully the whole northern half of the state won't be on fire.
Sounds good, let me know when you're done with your build and maybe we can go hit some foothill twisties. I have yet to hit Sonoma on a bike but been in and raced/drifted on it in cars. Such a fun track. Looking forward to meeting more rc owners. Came from cruiser life but have had many fun times on friends sport bikes so I decided to get this rc. Love for the vtwin is deep. I don't think I could have found a better bike. I absolutely love it and will never part with it. ('04 rc51) Hope to hear from you when you're ready to cruise!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
LDH®️;912481 said:
Jon go ride Sonoma! Aside from the track crumbling apart at the seams it is an absolute blast on a motorcycle. Great rollercoaster for a trackday and you don't have to even ride that hard to have a great time as it is more about finesse than hp. I rarely get above 9500rpm just cruising in the fun zone and I giggle the entire time. Definitely my favorite track in California

Thanks for sharing! Looks like a blast on 2 wheels. Really excited about hitting a track day there now! As for cars, it is definitely my favorite track in CA. Have yet to drive Laguna but I'm thinking it will be just as fun, in it's own way.

·
Registered
29 Posts
530, welcome. I could do Icehouse --> Wentworth Springs all day long, jealous of you guys who don't have to slog across the valley first.

LDH, I did my 2nd track day (ever) at Sonoma last September. I loved the first half of the track but just couldn't figure out the 2nd half after the carousel, especially 7, the chicane, and 11 (it didn't help that it was 105F that day either). Nice tight track but breaking up as you mentioned. Fun video!

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
LDH, I did my 2nd track day (ever) at Sonoma last September. I loved the first half of the track but just couldn't figure out the 2nd half after the carousel, especially 7, the chicane, and 11 (it didn't help that it was 105F that day either). Nice tight track but breaking up as you mentioned. Fun video!

First half is like my home track Barber Motorsports, fast and flowing. The second half is a bit more technical in that you have to not only get the line right, but need the bike set-up properly as well. You have to get the geometry set correctly so the bike steers equally well through the faster chicanes as well as on Trailbraking. If either of those areas are deficient and/or you are not real comfortable at setting the front end during trailbraking to get the bike to steer on the brakes then it will definitely force you to struggle and play catch up until you make it back on to the front straight. Definitely a Riders track over HP.

·
Registered
8,663 Posts
Sounds good, let me know when you're done with your build and maybe we can go hit some foothill twisties. I have yet to hit Sonoma on a bike but been in and raced/drifted on it in cars. Such a fun track. Looking forward to meeting more rc owners. Came from cruiser life but have had many fun times on friends sport bikes so I decided to get this rc. Love for the vtwin is deep. I don't think I could have found a better bike. I absolutely love it and will never part with it. ('04 rc51) Hope to hear from you when you're ready to cruise!
Well, I'm done. Bike is back together and running as good as I remember. Like she hadn't even been down for 15 months. :grin2:

I know we're getting into fall, but as weather and road conditions permit, I usually ride all winter long. Berryessa area is a great ride when roads are dry in the winter. I talk with another RC owner in Manteca, I'm interested in riding that area too, since it's lower elevation.

·
Premium Member
290 Posts
Another (530) RC51 here. We should get a ride going, AS SOON AS JONDOG GET'S HIS RUNNING!

·
Registered
234 Posts
Definitely down for Berryessa, its practically in my backyard. Waiting for the Takai guy to resolve my coil fitment issues but I could put my stock coils back if a ride comes up. Fall and winter (when we have our usual little to no rainfall) are the best riding up there as your'e not dealing with drunks hauling boats back from the lake. Several different rides depending on whether you want burgers in Middletown or bar-b-que in Calistoga.

·
Registered
8,663 Posts
Another (530) RC51 here. We should get a ride going, AS SOON AS JONDOG GET'S HIS RUNNING!
It's done Mike!
As stated right above your post. :grin2:

I'm riding the hills around Auburn this saturday if anyone is interested?

And I'm down for more rides as weather permits. Especially Berryessa. I love that area.

·
Registered
8,663 Posts
Yup, it's done!

·
Premium Member
1,904 Posts
You guys in Cali are killin' me up here in the (already) cold. I'm getting ready to put my bike in teh shop for the winter to do a fork rebuild and a few things if my wallet (and wife) are on the same page. All those roads and tracks at your disposal. :crying:
But good to have another join the club!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts