RC51 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just bought a 01 RC51 a month ago. I was replacing a jacked up wire harness that was hooked up to ALL the lights and the fuel pump, so I could put DOT rear blinkers on. When pulling the harness off I shorted a fuse. Replaced the fuse got the harness hooked up right. Started the bike and now only the front cylinder is firing. I checked all the fuses even the 30A. They are fine. I switched out the coils and they work fine. Checked the plug, it wasnt fouled. The only code it was throwing was 11 (speed sensor) but I think thats because of the bigger rear sprocket and no speedo healer. So I think the ECM is screwed or 2 of the injectors or the converter unit. Has anyone had this problem or know how to fix it? I live in Hawaii and they bankrupt you here for service. So any help would definitely be appreciated!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Solved!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well no one replied to help me, but I thought I would post this just in case someone else has this problem. Apparently Honda is stingy on wire. What I mean is when I was removing the wire harness, the ecm didn't have much wiggle room and I must have moved it too far. So a wire that goes from the ecu to the converter unit was losing its connection. I figured this out when I decided to disconnect the ecm and reconnect it. The bike started fine so I wiggled wires until it shut off. I found the wire it was going to and checked it against the diagram. No satisfaction better than fixing it yourself! The local bike shop wanted $75 an hour just to trouble shoot it! And that was the cheapest I could find!

·
Registered
359 Posts
Yes your right, wiring harness and most of the wiring is pretty tight with little wiggle room. I found this out on the way to Laguna Seca one year. I went thru the wiring on the right side where I installed the speedo recalibrator, and in doing so, had loosened one of the connections that control the firing of the rear cylinder. Glad to hear you found/resolved your problem. Always nice when its a DIY! !

·
Super Moderator
6,481 Posts
Would've liked to have helped but I've been getting slammed at work this week.
I work nights so I scan the threads when I get a chance.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Got another project Im working on.

I just got a cheapo alarm off ebay that does the alarm thing, immobilizer, and auto start. I just about got it all hooked up. Yeah I'm gonna hook up the auto start, it's there so why not? I'll post pics and maybe a video on it. Keep in mind I'm no pro so the wiring will probably look like crap. I also got some D&D slip-ons on the way. Definitely going to make a video for that. Only thing else I need is a PCIII and a speedo healer. I'll make a new topic on the forum for each.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts