RC51 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey Ya'll,
So grew up in a family of riders, my brother spent a fair amount of time racing when he wasn't flying f-16's for the Airforce. Many years and motorcycles later, and I've had an SP-2 fall in my lap for free. Now this is the bike my brother raced back in the day so you can imagine my excitement and the nostalgia. He still has his SP-1 which is cool because now I'm helping him get his back to street legal after years of gathering dust since his kids arrived. Back to the point of this thread. I'm going to strip this bike and make it road worthy again. Not a full-on factory restoration, nor a track modded throttle hog. Just a tasteful clean up and maybe correct some aesthetic mistakes Honda made along the way. The goal is to add this bike to my collection as its always been on the list of bikes I'd like to own/ride.

Starting with a 2002 SP-2 that has mis-matched plastics and electronics. The last owner had high sided it and put it away because he didn't want to bring it back to life. The original owner had crashed it and then turned it into a stunt bike. Shockingly it has a clean title and is straight as far as I can tell. Given its history and the fact its been sitting since 2008, I'm going to go through everything. Lots of dirt, grime, spider webs, cracked plastics and hacked together wiring. One thing at a time...

Cleaning time. This old girl needed three scrubbings before it was ready to start cracking things open. Even then I was just beginning. Every time I took another part off it just exposed more grime and years of road crap packed into every nook and cranny. I'm pretty sure a squirrel raised a few generations under the airbox as well.

As I peeled back the layers I found fun 'mods' the previous owners had done. Check out this sweet flapper valve delete!

Quick diagnosis of the chain and its time for a 520 kit from Mike over a Kyle racing...not to mention a lot of other things.

After removing the Chain and pulling the rear wheel I found these interesting looking grooves in the swing arm...maybe a trick for lightening up the rear end we've never heard about?

or maybe someone forgot an axel spacer...how far do we think he got before he noticed? Next up was the air box...can't wait to see the 'port' job inevitably waiting for me here. Uh-oh, here's some more of that yellow 'mod' paste that was sealing the flapper valve....I'm afraid.

:eek: I had to break it to get at the screw holding the front velocity stack....how'd they even get it in there? Well time to find a new air box....to be continued

Reactions: nigelrb

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The internet is an amazing thing. Just like that, new air box! Well, kinda. this was busted on the first air box too, the screw posts that hold the filters in place. Hmmm, okay I'll plastic weld in some stainless screen to strengthen it up...should work. its not pretty but the mesh has made it so you can torque the hell out of that bolt and it's not budging the insert. Next!

Now time to start playing around with what seems to be an unmolested engine...finally some good luck. Time to remove unnecessary systems like the smog crap...Home made block off plates, not too shabby.

Since I have the plastic welder out might as well tackle the body panels...

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
All the body work is OEM, all be it from a few different years. So I feel like it was worth saving, plus I can do the body work and paint so, I'll save a few bucks were I can down the line.

Theres more but you get the point. Next, the age old issue of what to do with old nasty nuts and bolts. Not surprising, there was a bunch of mismatched bolts here. Some interesting home made washers etc. The stuff that wasn't completely FUBAR'd, got a little turn on the lathe to knock the years and OEM markings off. What do you guys do when you remove the coatings off of old fasteners? It hardly ever rains here, so it's easy to keep them from getting rusty. Some new parts came in, hotbodies undertail kit, new bearings, some of the missing nuts and bolts, brakes, chain conversion kit( 520 set up from Kyle racing). Made some stuff shiny again...stock header came out nice.

Next up, new brake lines, test fit all the repaired plastics, make final list of all missing parts that I need to source. I'm anxiously awaiting my exhaust...Found a Sato Racing Ladybird/Bonsai set up from Simon in Japan. Now if only Japan would ship them to me...

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Servicing brakes is always fun aren't they? Especially when you open everything up and its chunky money all the way through...

A good clean out and OEM rebuild kit later...oh, don't forget, now that they are apart you have to repaint them...

New home made lines as well. I like the BYO kits from Magnum shielding

Sometimes you forget to order a double banjo bolt...well, just dig into the bin of old bolts and find something you can turn down on the lathe. Nothing like a custom bolt to eat up an hour of your time. Every one of these little parts make the bike feel more like its mine though. Details, it's all in the details. Next up was deciding what to do about the flapper valve cover. I like the one that Kyle racing has, it's what my brother has on his bike. So, i figured while I have the lathe out, why not make one of those too?

I have a few big sheets of 5/8" thick aluminum plate in the shop, so I just chopped off a corner and gave it whats for. In the end its an o-ring press fit, should work out fine. Since I have it torn down this far I decided to go ahead and flush the coolant system for real. I got a set of Samco hoses and clamps, went with the red hoses. I plan to paint the bike red again, figured that would look better than the blue, and if you're gonna' put fancy silicone hoses on the bike, why get black? This also gave me an opportunity to scrub the heck out of the center of the 'V'. Found some odds and ends in there, someone dropped a screw at some point and couldn't reach it, hell there was even a hose clamp down there. My bro is telling me if I'm this deep with the radiators off, I should do the crank case breather mod..? So back to the internet to see how far the rabbit hole goes on this one. Cheers

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Slow weekend in the garage, just a few shots of the hoses installed.

I need to repaint the frame, anyone have any advice as to how I can get the manufacturing sticker off without destroying it?

Reactions: Joe XR

·
Registered
135 Posts
Your too kind Nigel.

Hi Scott. Great work your doing there, I sent you a PM, let me know if that helps or not !

Reactions: nigelrb
1 - 8 of 8 Posts