RC51 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I know I am new here and prob appear as even more of a newbie for taking my SP2 to the local dealer to replace a leaking fork seal, but the service manager made a comment that took me off guard. As he was reading the mileage which is just over 22k miles, he said "you don't see that too often". I was like wtf are you talking about? Then he explained that he didn't often see these v-twins last as long as this one. :confused: Is 22k miles really that much on an rc51? I think this guy was kinda crazy, that doesn't seem like that high of mileage to me, I mean I bought it with 19k miles and the only problem I have had is the fork seal.

I just thought it was weird that a service manager at a Honda dealer would say this... lol

Regardless, I freaking love my SP2 and cannot wait to get her back!

·
Premium Member
8,335 Posts
He was confused...there are a lot of RC51s with way more miles.

Keep the oil changed and fix items like you did (fork seals) and it will be okay.;)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Guy here in town that I ride with sometimes has an'02 with 82,7xx on the clock. Original owner. I know this 'cause I looked at it after we road this A.M. He uses Mobil 1,Honda filter, has had his valves done every 20k, and never washes the poor bastard.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies, that is what I thought. I think the guy was just one of those "negative" people that see something nice and have to say something to try and bring someone down. Oh well, he can keep on being a "negative Nancy" meanwhile I will be carving the North Georgia mountains with my '02 SP2 and loving life.

:D

Ride on my RC brethren!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
RC51_Yoshi_2011.jpg

Here is a picture of her, I have added clear stomp grips, not shown in picture.

My garage is not the same without her, I cannot wait til I get it back.

:D

·
Super Moderator
6,485 Posts
You said Honda, he must have thought you said Harley.

This is from the 3rd owner of a 2000 SP1 that just passed to the new 4th owner.
It's still going strong after 11 years.

·
Premium Member
8,335 Posts
You said Honda, he must have thought you said Harley.

This is from the 3rd owner of a 2000 SP1 that just passed to the new 4th owner.
It's still going strong after 11 years.

It would have to be at least four owners....100,000mile, Preparation H would have to be a corporate sponsor if it were just one:eek:

·
Registered
198 Posts
What a DORK !!!!!

Just tell him " Jealousy will get you no where not even a ride!" :)

·
Registered
54 Posts
Evidentially the person at the Honda dealer has your bike confused with something else. The RC's are practically bullet proof and have had the least recalls/problems of any Honda sold to date.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I think the angle was; "dealerships" don't see many RC51's with over 21k. That's because most owners who take a RC51 to a factory dealer are not likely the owners riding them a lot. Those of us who ride them, either tweak them ourselves or go to the local old school shops or to the new high tech tuning and building shops.
Just a thought.

·
Premium Member
8,335 Posts
Evidentially the person at the Honda dealer has your bike confused with something else. The RC's are practically bullet proof and have had the least recalls/problems of any Honda sold to date.
Biggest recall I remeber was the speedo plastic frame. The first batch Honda had made melted in direct sun light....My bike has the little distrotions in the frame...but I think it adds character.:D

·
Registered
118 Posts
Biggest recall I remeber was the speedo plastic frame. The first batch Honda had made melted in direct sun light....My bike has the little distrotions in the frame...but I think it adds character.:D
That reminds me, I suppose they wouldnt honor that today? mines melted but I covered it with a carbon fiber kit.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts