RC51 Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many of you are running Ohlins forks and shocks on your bike? What do you think vs. stock? Particularly I'm thinking of a new shock, Kyle link, and having the fork rebuilt by Kyle or Race Tech, etc. cause all new forks are too pricey.

Sub Sailor, if I recall correctly you have a very similar setup, what do you think? Thanks fellas

AC

·
Premium Member
6,495 Posts
Well I had both my forks and shock serviced by Kyle Racing last year.
However I'm not quite happy about the fork performance.
I won't know what the cause is until I disassemble them.
They seem to have too much high-speed resistance (bump damping) that could be due to too high an oil level (probable cause).

In the mean time, I've bought the Traxxion Dynamics replacement cartridge kit which replaces all the internals of the forks. I've just been so busy I haven't had the time to install them.

As for my Ohlins shock, the problem I have with it is two-fold.
One, the rebound valving isn't where I like it. If I set the rebound to the base setting of 12 clicks out, it's too bouncy (aka pogo-like), yet if I change it to 11 clicks out it's now a bit too controlled rebound and makes the ride on the harsh side.
So it would be nice to have an 11.5 click setting, but there isn't. So I'm sending the shock off again to get inspected and maybe revalved again.

Secondly, the compression valving is a bit too harsh for the street and what I have them set at to live on the street is way to soft by Ohlins recommendations.

If I set both forks and shock to recommended base settings, they are unusable on the street as both are so firm the bike has no compliance over bumps and jars the hell out of you and the wheels can bounce off the pavement over harsh bumps.

I've played with the settings over the past months to where the shock is passable, but the forks still don't comply well over abrupt bumps which really affects handling around corners.

So once I'm interested to see how the forks will perform after I rebuild them.

Both Race-Tech and Traxxion Dynamics make compression and rebound valve replacements and can rebuild your forks.
Both valve kits are very good and perform better than stock valves, which are too restricted.
My buddy who had his Aprilia's Showa forks revalved with Race-Tech valves are much better performing than stock.
Also match your spring rate to your body weight also. Race-Tech has an online chart.
A set of fork springs are only $100, as is the spring for the Ohlins shock.

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
I have Ohlins forks on one of my RC51s (other is standard). These were fitted by a suspension guru here (Terry Hay) before I bought the bike. The rear was also modified, but I'm not quite sure what. I think Race-Tech stuff. Anyway, it's a way better set up than standard. It feels more compliant as well as better controlled. That's my experience in general with Ohlins stuff when it's properly set up. I also have an OW01 with the Ohlins. Same deal.

It sounds like there's something wrong with the Ohlins shock - or maybe the linkage - SubSailor. Maybe it's a Chinese knock-off?! Haha. Seriously, having someone who really knows this stuff check it and set it up is more important than the actual gear you use.

I thought I understood it until I spoke with someone who really does. Maybe I'm not too bright, but in the end I've found it's cheaper and better to have an expert do it. Then I get to just ride and enjoy it without worrying about how to tweak it (which invariably has made it worse than before!) BW

·
Premium Member
6,495 Posts
That post of mine was back in 2009, which was 5 years ago.

After that post, I removed and inspected the shock, which showed a leaking shaft seal.
So the loss of oil and possible pressure was causing the shock to not perform properly.
I sent the shock off and had it rebuilt. So that problem was fixed.

In the interim 5 years, I've swapped out the cartridges in the original forks, plus acquired a set of Ohlins FG832 R&T forks (and obtained the SBK valve kit for them), plus obtained a set of OEM forks with the AK-Gas cartridges installed.

So I'm pretty fat in the suspension department as it stands.
What I don't have in abundance is time to put the bike together.
It's been a challenge for the last 5 years.

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Yoicks - you can tell I'm new. I didn't notice the date! Sorry.

It's good that I read it though, because it prompted me to go and take a closer look at mine. What I appear to have is the Ohlins 20mm internal upgrade for the forks and a Race-Tech rear setup. It works pretty well - definitely better than standard - so I'll leave it alone!

Sounds like you know a lot more about this stuff than I do, and glad you got the shock problem sorted. How do you like the SP2? Looks like almost a twin for mine, maybe with a few less miles?

Cheers

Brian

·
Premium Member
6,495 Posts
I love my SP2.
I've spent a ton of money on various upgrades pieces over the years.
If and when I get it back together, it should be a sweet ride.

·
Registered
8,655 Posts
Wha?????????
What's this if-shit? No way!
That's not possible.
You're to much of a pillar of this forum, this community, to not have his RC51.
What gives?

·
Premium Member
8,329 Posts
Wha?????????
That's not possible.
What gives?
It Sub's tinker machine.....I will ride to Sarasota for a beer with Sub if he ever gets her back together.:D

You of all people know I do my part to uphold my word on a good road trip.;):cool:

·
Premium Member
6,495 Posts
Wha?????????
That's not possible.
What gives?
The whole IF thing was just a time related comment.
This year (2015) will mark the bike as being in pieces for 5 years.
I never expected it would take this long.
Time passes much too quickly these days.

But...I'm going to try and make this the year it gets together.

·
Registered
8,655 Posts
^ Whew! I thought you were losing faith. Good to see that's not the case.
Good luck on completing the project. (I've got a 79 wing that's in the same state of, well, on-going project status)

·
Premium Member
6,495 Posts
It Sub's tinker machine.....I will ride to Sarasota for a beer with Sub if he ever gets her back together.:D

You of all people know I do my part to uphold my word on a good road trip.;):cool:
Sounds mighty fine to me!
Either that, or I trailer the bike to Indy for MotoGP weekend one year.
I doubt I'll have it together for Indy this year.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts