RC51 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was in track the last couple weekends, before I set my baby down… I realized my most recent oil change left me sitting a couple millimeters above the full marking on the oil window. I happen to also start getting a whole bunch of heat markings on my exhaust can, wondering if the two things are related, I assume I was making the engine work extra hard but my temperature wasn’t high. May have been due to track speeds but looking for any expert opinion.
E1ED9C44-1D2C-45D9-9F49-BCA718014BE0.jpeg B25A943C-04B0-4F75-9388-79E7693A4427.jpeg

·
Registered
11 Posts
The oil level will make zero difference to this.

The factory exhaust design forces the majority of the exhaust pulse down the right hand side can. With constant high RPM at a track day this tears the packing out of it and exposes the outer shell to more heat. Years ago I started burning a carbon Micron sleeve in about two track days, when I pulled it apart a large chunk of the packing was gone.

Like Wibbly said, you need to repack at very least the right hand side can and do it regularly if you do a lot of track days.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you so much, unfortunately I’ve gone down on each side of the bike now so I have two different exhausts currently… I will work on finding a kit for repacking, appreciate the info!

·
Registered
11 Posts
I took it from your first post that you must have thrown it down the road but twice is really unfortunate. Getting parts for them these day would be fairly challenging and very expensive I expect. As for repacking the cans I suspect a specific kit would also be fairly hard to find, a motorcycle exhaust specialty place will be more likely to be able to help if there's one somewhere near you.

I hope you can get it all back together ok.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Ceramic Fiber Online .com sells inexpensive rolls of ceramic fiber that lasts much longer than fiber glass.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts